Why did Johnny Miller quit golf?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why did Johnny Miller quit golf?

Originally posted by Richard View Post
    It is amazing how some of the best ball strikers ever, putting games never were or went south.

Hogan, Norman, Knudson, Miller...
    Snead, Watson ...

Comment

I know some one who spent a lot of time playing with George Knudson during his formative years and said that if it wasn't for his lack of confidence on his putting he should have won at least 3-4 majors. George knew this himself and couldn't seek the advice that today's touring pros can with swing coaches, sports psychologists, etc.

He was and continues to be one of the best ball strikers in history. There is a video that he produced that i recommend everyone look at and learn from.

His irons had shafts that were stiffness 8.0 frequency matched.

Comment

Originally posted by Golftime View Post
        When he was on his distance control was great so it makes sense that he would want to know yardages down to that level of accuracy. It would add to his confidence. If you tell yuorself that you can hit the shot then you stand a better chance of hitting it well.
        You're right about that. It's mainly a confidence thing. If you KNOW in your heart that you can be that accurate with distance control, it makes a ton of difference to your mental approach. I believe Norman wanted the same level of information from his caddies as well.
        U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

Palmer ...

Originally posted by coe14 View Post
          Snead, Watson ...
          This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Ya but as Nicklaus proved you must be able to putt well to win consistently.

I barely remember Miller as I was pretty young at that time. I do remember anyone who was a 'threat" to Nicklaus I didn't like, being that Jack held god like status with me when I started playing golf.
            WHAT SITS ON MY CLIC-GEAR
            Alpha Golf C830.4 SP700 Plasma 10* Platinum 65 gr
            Alpha Golf Version 5 3wd 15* Platinum 65gr
            Alpha Golf C830 19* Platinum 60 gr
            Alpha C2 Fly 4- G/W Platinum 60 gr
            Snake Eyes 675 WB 54* & 58* FST 90 gr
            Heavy Putter A1 33"
            " The secret is in the dirt "....... Ben Hogan

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
              It is amazing how some of the best ball strikers ever, putting games never were or went south.

Hogan, Norman, Knudson, Miller...
              I just got Pelz's 'Putting Bible' for Christmas, and on page 1 he quotes from Hogan: "Putting is a different game."

Pelz goes on to state that 'Ben thought putting is so different that it shouldn't count in one's score.'

_______
              NQRfPT

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelR View Post
                I just got Pelz's 'Putting Bible' for Christmas, and on page 1 he quotes from Hogan: "Putting is a different game."

Pelz goes on to state that 'Ben thought putting is so different that it shouldn't count in one's score.'

Ya.....Hogan didn't like putting. It didn't interest him. According to rumour and interviews from players in his era Hogan didn't have to be a great putter because it was normal for all of his approach shots to be within 10 feet.

I also hear a rumour that in 1948 (his best year according to Hogan) that he actually had to start aiming slightly away from the pins as he would hit the pins if he didn't and the ball would ricochet off the green!
                WHAT SITS ON MY CLIC-GEAR
                Alpha Golf C830.4 SP700 Plasma 10* Platinum 65 gr
                Alpha Golf Version 5 3wd 15* Platinum 65gr
                Alpha Golf C830 19* Platinum 60 gr
                Alpha C2 Fly 4- G/W Platinum 60 gr
                Snake Eyes 675 WB 54* & 58* FST 90 gr
                Heavy Putter A1 33"
                " The secret is in the dirt "....... Ben Hogan

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelR View Post

Yeah, baby. All for this one. In that case, I'm now a scratch golfer!
                  Driver: Ping 10*
                  Wood: Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood
                  Irons: Accuform PTM (3 - PW)
                  Hybrid: TaylorMade 3 (OUT - had enough, make me an offer)
                  Wedges: Cleveland 54* & 60*, TaylorMade 52*
                  Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Two "The Art of Putting"
                  Bag: Ogio Ultra light
                  Balls: Pro v1 / TaylorMade Red

Comment

I liked JM as a player, he was one hec of a player in his day.

It'a amazing how much of golf is mental. For the most part it is finding a way of getting your brain out of the shots and just let things happen naturally.

Putting mentally for me is very easy, I visualize a line and then let my brain take my hands down the line, but tempo is another thing for me. Somedays it is there and other days it is not. It is just a case of not rushing and let the brain go in slow motion, but somedays I just can't do that.

With Tiger gone for a while the game needs another JM. So many players have let Tiger define them, that most seem second rate. JM was so confident he wouldn't let that happen.
                    Sometimes starting at the end, is the key to finding the beginning.

Comment

I think a few of Millers wives were giving him a hard time about not being home enough with his kids..
                      TM M2 D-type 9.5 Accra CS1 70
                      TM Jetspeed tour 19* Accra CS1 80
                      TM M2 tour 4-9 Accra ICWT 95
                      Callaway X-Forged 48, 52, 58, 64 Pro Modus3 105
                      Nike method MC3i

Osprey Valley Century Club
                      100 holes - May 2, 2016

Comment

Yeah,JM was very religious and did'nt like to be away on Sundays and they kinda work around this with his broadcasting.

Comment

Originally posted by usopenguy View Post
                          His irons had shafts that were stiffness 8.0 frequency matched.
                          Greg Norman played ultra stiff steel shafts as well as Johnny Miller
                          Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
                          Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
                          Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

What's not well known is that he does have a circulation problem in his legs. This,combined with his famous yips, sealed his fate.
                            If he ever wanted to set up a school and teach the line would go around the block.
                            He wrote a swing article for Golf Digest in the 90's that is still the bench mark on the hows of hitting it further. It featured him on the Cover going through the strike zone.

Comment

[QUOTE=usopenguy;521621]I know some one who spent a lot of time playing with George Knudson during his formative years and said that if it wasn't for his lack of confidence on his putting he should have won at least 3-4 majors. George knew this himself and couldn't seek the advice that today's touring pros can with swing coaches, sports psychologists, etc. QUOTE]

Lee Trevinio and other pros offered to help Knudson with his putting but he refused.

Comment

Any idea why he refused?

[QUOTE=Cybergolfer;521822]
                                Originally posted by usopenguy View Post
                                I know some one who spent a lot of time playing with George Knudson during his formative years and said that if it wasn't for his lack of confidence on his putting he should have won at least 3-4 majors. George knew this himself and couldn't seek the advice that today's touring pros can with swing coaches, sports psychologists, etc. QUOTE]

Lee Trevinio and other pros offered to help Knudson with his putting but he refused.
                                This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X