No announcement yet.
Collapse

What is the worst golf course in GTA?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What is the worst golf course in GTA?

Originally posted by alldaybreakfast View Post
    I played in the RH Men's League this year and got in over 20 rounds. My regular membership is with GolfNow/Underpar and I get around (played over 30 other courses in Ontario last season).

In my humble opinion I can say that even though from the tips it is only 6000 yards it is a challenge. My handicap is 11 (like long walks on the beach and the soothing sounds of Michael Buble) and I can tell you Hole 5, 11, and 18 are tough holes. Also, it is not a driver/wedge course. 18 you have to hit two accurate long irons to have a chance. One of the most interesting finishing holes around. The three par three's on the front are also a challenge and hole 8 is a tough little par 4, as is hole 1.

As mentioned the place is well kept! It is right off the 407 so very accessible and hence the cost of green fees. Lastly, the Men's league is very well run and the staff is class.

No way does RH deserve to be on this list.

I actually quite like RH as well. When I lived at Keele/Lawernce, I made the trip to RH at least 2-3 a month every summer, we would play twilight rounds and typically would have the course to ourselves. I never had a complaint about the conditions.

I've also shot some of my best rounds.
    M1 8.5* Aldila Rouge
    Titleist 915 15* Speeder 757
    M1 18* Speeder 757
    Titleist AP2
    Vokey TVD 50, 54, 58
    Newport 2
    PROV1X

Comment

Originally posted by jerms View Post
      I was in a golf tournament there about 10 years ago. One of the guys in the tourney was so drunk he drove his cart into the pond and another drunk guy jumped into the pond after the cart had gone in....Not to help the guy who plunged the cart in the water but to try to save his unopened beer that he left in the cup holder.

I think they left the cart in the pond.
      This has to be one of the best I read on this site! I love it

Comment

Only one I played on the list is Lowville (my dad lives near there). After reading some of the reviews, I think I'm going to keep it that way, lol.

Although I didn't mind Lowville all that much for the cheap price we paid.
        What's in the Sunmountain 4.5?

10.5 M2 with Speeder 77 Stiff 3 wood shaft
        TM Rescue 17*
        TM M2 4-AW
        TM RAC 52/56 CG15 60
        Odyssey 2 Ball with Superstroke Fatso

Comment

Originally posted by Fore Warned View Post
          Very well put. If that is your measure, what courses would you include as the worst in the GTA?
          That's a good question and I can usually find something good in every course.

Robert Thompson for example greatly dislikes Lionhead Legends. I quite enjoy having it beat my brains out.

I always found Angus Glen south to be a rather pedestrian design. However the conditions and service made it worthwhile for 'client golf'.

Generally I like Muyleart designs because he usually created good, solid, working persons courses with limited budgets.
          On the other hand, I find Jayson Miller courses visually appealing, but almost impossible to walk and therefore, do not play them regularly.

Comment

I was assuming it was mostly conditioning, some the staff and only a bit the layout as the layout is probably the most subjective of the bunch. I guess value should be factored in.

From reading the forum for a while now I would think the front runners would be Bantys Roost, Parkshore and Annandale. I think 90% of the forum could almost agree to that so the tough work comes in figuring out the 4th thru 10th spots are
            I send pictures ~ through the mail ~ of buried treasures ~ and Humpback whales ~to famous people ~ I do not know ~ I sign "Sincerely, ~ Matthias Doe" ~ I await ~ their response...

Comment

Originally posted by WDM1980 View Post
              Great point Arthur - the idea of a course trying to be something it's not or having the price/pretension that doesn't match its condition, layout, and place in the market.

With those criteria in mind, here are my finalists

1. Lionhead (Masters course specifically, but the entire place generally - over priced, overbooked)
              2. Dragon's Fire (repetitive and dull layout, slow play, clueless staff that hinder rather than help)
              3. Piper's Heath (a links/heathland that's way overwatered - decide what you are; it should be firm and fast, not soft and squishy, SLOW SLOW SLOW)

On the opposite end - those courses who match what they are with their price and attitudes
              1. Osprey (premium course, less than premium location, but priced about right with the golf for golfers' attitude)
              2. Crosswinds (mid-market course - mid market pricing - maybe a touch high on price, efficient and effective proshop - go in, go out, no waiting, range always included)
              3. Westview/Glen Cedars - (ok courses with prices to match, after 9am it's slow on the weekend, good conditions except for westview bunkers)
              4. Hornby Glen - low price, low expectations, but generally the price matches the experience here
              While I didn't mind the course when I played it, Dragon's Fire really does think it is something very special.
              Cannot agree about Piper's Heath.

Originally posted by AdiosAmigo View Post
              One hell of a bump thread
              Thanks

Originally posted by racmbs View Post
              You've been golfing with Mark too much it seems.
              Big Shooter is alright, but he does make some odd posts
              I send pictures ~ through the mail ~ of buried treasures ~ and Humpback whales ~to famous people ~ I do not know ~ I sign "Sincerely, ~ Matthias Doe" ~ I await ~ their response...

Comment

Parkshore has to be the hands-down favourite in this category.
                I don't have one good thing to say about the current state of the course...not even worth playing on a $7.99 Hot Deal tee time price...

Comment

Originally posted by Fore Warned View Post
                  Here is what you said in 2005 on best and worst courses.
                  Yep, my 5 faves, back then!

Originally posted by Jayhawker View Post
                  From reading the forum for a while now I would think the front runners would be Bantys Roost, Parkshore and Annandale. I think 90% of the forum could almost agree to that so the tough work comes in figuring out the 4th thru 10th spots are
                  Buddy, we gotta get you to Camisle! Early next season. Prepare Thy self!!
                  Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post
                    Buddy, we gotta get you to Camisle! Early next season. Prepare Thy self!!
                    I'm ready for an experience

Comment

Using arthur's criteria, hands down lionhead legends.

Comment

Originally posted by Bellyhungry View Post
                        Using arthur's criteria, hands down lionhead legends.
                        Yes! I completely agree. Lionhead was great when it was 27 holes. that was a long time ago.
                        Keeping Score: Golf Courses 1710, Me 1

Comment

Found a nice quote that best describes my definition of 'worst'. A bad course is one that disappoints because it is promoted for or promises conditions/values/an experience that it does not possess and does not provide.

Comment

I like Bloomington Downs haha. It was in good condition all last year, and very easily walkable, not to mention is cost effective.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
                              Found a nice quote that best describes my definition of 'worst'. A bad course is one that disappoints because it is promoted for or promises conditions/values/an experience that it does not possess and does not provide.
                              Makes sense. That being said, conditioning+layout alone determine a good/bad course for me. I can usually correctly judge a course quality by just looking at it.

Driving into Crosswinds I could tell it was a fairly nice course.
                              Driving into Copper Creek I could tell it was a very nice course.
                              Driving into Indian Wells I could tell it was a POS.

In all cases that first impression did not change after I played them.
                              Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Comment

Originally posted by xrox View Post
                                Driving into Indian Wells I could tell it was a POS.

In all cases that first impression did not change after I played them.
                                How many years since you last played it?
                                Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X