Collapse

TGN golf course rating

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TGN golf course rating

I was thinking that with some of the silly results on course ratings that publications like Score golf are putting out I believe that with the sheer volume of golfers on this site, we could take a much more accurate and representative survey on GTA courses.
    I don't know how to set it up, but I'm willing to collect the data if someone has an idea on how to do it.

Re: TGN golf course rating

That's quite the undertaking, with approximately 400 courses in Ontario, maybe determine the areas to include, good luck.

Golf Golf Course Directory: SINCE REMOVED some thought it was incomplete so no point in taking up all that space.
    Last edited by 4underthru9; Dec 24, 2016, 09:07 AM.
    Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

I'm going to see if I can find a piece of software that sets it up. I was thinking of a rating between 1 and 10 and using the categories: the course, conditioning, food and beverage, staff, pace of play and overall experience.
      No worries about data collection. My wife will take care of it although she doesn't know it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post
        That's quite the undertaking. here's a list to get you started, good luck.

Golf Golf Course Directory
        Your list needs some UPDATING

Interesting that there are NO courses beginning with the letters J, Q, and X Y, Z
        Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Originally posted by davepratt View Post
          I'm going to see if I can find a piece of software that sets it up. I was thinking of a rating between 1 and 10 and using the categories: the course, conditioning, food and beverage, staff, pace of play and overall experience.
          No worries about data collection. My wife will take care of it although she doesn't know it yet.
          Have you looked at surveymonkey or similar?

Also, consider adding "value" (or price) to the parameters.
          "Confusion" will be my epitaph
          ...Iggy

Comment

There is, as far as I can see, only a very limited solution that may be achievable using this discussion board. It would probably involve a new forum specific to the subject and require establishing a new thread for each course.

Each thread could set up a poll or survey for a particular course, asking people to rate the course on a 5 star system based on a general appreciation of prescribed criteria like. condition, facilities, average play time, value for money...etc.

Each person responding to the survey / poll could add their personal commentary.

That is about as fine a detail you could get I think given the limited resources of this board.

I don't know if it is possible to set up a thread with a poll or survey that could ask people to separately rank individual criteria, in addition to an overall rating????

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
              Have you looked at surveymonkey or similar?

Also, consider adding "value" (or price) to the parameters.
              I'll have a look.

Comment

Originally posted by Fore Warned View Post
                There is, as far as I can see, only a very limited solution that may be achievable using this discussion board. It would probably involve a new forum specific to the subject and require establishing a new thread for each course.

Each thread could set up a poll or survey for a particular course, asking people to rate the course on a 5 star system based on a general appreciation of prescribed criteria like. condition, facilities, average play time, value for money...etc.

Each person responding to the survey / poll could add their personal commentary.

That is about as fine a detail you could get I think given the limited resources of this board.

I don't know if it is possible to set up a thread with a poll or survey that could ask people to separately rank individual criteria, in addition to an overall rating????
                I just bought www.canadiangolfcourserating.com (Surprised it was available) so I'll use a different site that stays open so people can add ratings as they play courses.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post
                  Your list needs some UPDATING

Interesting that there are NO courses beginning with the letters J, Q, and X Y, Z
                  Thanks, it was a direct copy from the Toronto Sun Golf List for 2016.
                  Which ones need deleting and which ones need adding then?

I have it in a spread sheet and can easily delete or add as needed.
                  Last edited by 4underthru9; Dec 23, 2016, 04:24 PM.
                  Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Which ones need deleting and which ones need adding then?
                    Well at a quick glance, it's missing all the private courses. If the intent is to only rate public ones, then the title should be modified to reflect that restriction.

Comment

Originally posted by sauerkraut View Post
                      Well at a quick glance, it's missing all the private courses. If the intent is to only rate public ones, then the title should be modified to reflect that restriction.
                      Agree completely, if that's what OP wants, no problem it's about two seconds of copy and paste.

Comment

Agree completely, if that's what OP wants, no problem it's about two seconds of copy and paste.
                        I'd like to do both. I think I can host it on my personal site.

Comment

Originally posted by davepratt View Post
                          I'd like to do both. I think I can host it on my personal site.
                          Great idea Dave. I also agree with you that the ratings some magazines put out may be a bit biased.
                          Gone golfin' ... be back about dark-thirty.

Comment

I agree, adding "value" would be a great addition to the choices when rating a course. Sometimes you have low expectations about a lower priced course and come away pleasantly surprised when you consider the price paid.

Another choice you may want to consider --- and somewhat related to "value" --- is price paid. Full price or discounted (via GN, UnderPar, etc) could affect the perceived "value" rating. If someone plays XXX course for $25 via a GN Hot Deal and rates it excellent value yet many others paying $125 thnk the value is low at that price --- the overall rating is somewhat skewed.

If possible, I'd suggest limiting the comment part of each review to a certain number of characters or possibly not even having it all. Look at the commentary of GN reviews or any hotel review site for that matter --- many comments are often unrealistic or simply idiotic.

Monitoring them could possibly be a large task.

Actually, this entire project could be a large task. Lol. Good luck!

Comment

Interesting idea. But IMO you need to determine what you want rated. A list of best courses is different than a list based on perceived value when $$$ is included. If Annandale offered a free beer per 9 it might rocket up the best value list. It wouldn't be a better course, it might just seem better to some. Or maybe not.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X