Collapse

MOI fittings

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MOI fittings

Oh I don't disagree dan. U do anphenomal job with what you have.

Was just a mere suggestion.

At the very least though I'd get a net to hit into and a dry erase marker to test impact.

I do believe Length and lie are very important. But weight to me is the most.

If I swing clubs that are too light i get over the top and easily out of sync. So it could cause problem potentially when finding someone the right set in your TLT series.

i was lucky as none of your sets were overtly light weight for me.

Comment

my comments in bold
      Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
      At the very least though I'd get a net to hit into and a dry erase marker to test impact.
      Wait a second, and this is probably the dumbest question on my part, but how is the fitting done without these items ??? The impact tape is one of the most important items i have in my bag, especially when i go to the range to "work" on something

But weight to me is the most.
      Same here. Golf swing is a pure physics double pendulum phenomenon which can only work at its max. speed with one, and only one set of parameters, weight being the most critical one
      Last edited by veryold; Dec 29, 2016, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post
        my comments in bold
        Weight does have it problems, swing speed may change, faster is longer.

Comment

Originally posted by nearace View Post
          Very good observation, nearace
          But the increased speed, with presumably lighter clubs has intrigued me for years. Not to mention that the light club heads are more prone to "ruin/punish" of-center hits, no ?

Comment

Originally posted by danscustomgolfshop View Post
            The hard part about increasing the fitting rack is the amount of clubs required. Currently there are near 150 fitting clubs in my shop and if we added 3 weight categories we would be 450 clubs - just for fitting.
            I can see where this can get very problematic inventory and dollar wise with all the available series. I could see a possible solution or rather a cheaper alternative. It wouldn't be perfect but very practical.

Longer customized grips with coloured lines for different series. The customer could grip up or down depending on the series. Tapered shafts for different flexes( I know IQ-not frequency matched blah blah but better than having 1500 shafts tipped differently for each series) Club-connex adapter and Maltby KE4 heads for adjusting head weight( 0 to 16 grams adjustability)

Keep up the good work Dan and most of all thank you for your patience and dedication.

Comment

Originally posted by nearace View Post
              Not a physicist by a long shot. Let's take a hammer for example.
              A longer lighter hammer may have more speed but a shorter heavier hammer will drive the nail more readily wouldn't you say?

The SL proponents claim this is what happens with the heavier shorter 4 or 5 iron.

I believe Tutelman or Jorgensen( The physics of Golf) wrote an article as to where the line must be drawn as far as maximum head and shaft weight is concerned

Comment

Found the article:

Comment

Kinetic energy of the club head is 1/2mv(square). So the club head speed contributes much more than its mass. But, as mentioned, off-centered contacts are the problem with light heads, ie., less MOI of the club head. I did an experiment last Summer, with my old and trusty R7 quad driver, by putting all four weights as 1gr. The thing was feather light to swing, and it was "swooshing" with a higher speed, no questions, but boy, 1/2' of center was 30 yards off-line.

Comment

Originally posted by Tintin View Post
                    I can see where this can get very problematic inventory and dollar wise with all the available series. I could see a possible solution or rather a cheaper alternative. It wouldn't be perfect but very practical.

Longer customized grips with coloured lines for different series. The customer could grip up or down depending on the series. Tapered shafts for different flexes( I know IQ-not frequency matched blah blah but better than having 1500 shafts tipped differently for each series) Club-connex adapter and Maltby KE4 heads for adjusting head weight( 0 to 16 grams adjustability)

Keep up the good work Dan and most of all thank you for your patience and dedication.
                    Thanks for the suggestion - I appreciate the thought, but since my greatest priority is always length and lie I like to have the ability to put a 4 iron, 7 iron and PW into my players hands without having to do any form of adjustment.

With 16 adult fitting charts this is 48 clubs that allow me the luxury of fine tuning the required lengths with the greatest of ease. With a logical starting point we move up and down a Series or 2 allowing the player to gain confidence in what Series will be the target build or retrofit.

Players know when they are standing athletic and if I can get all 3 clubs - long, mid and short - within the target TLT Series to feel absolutely right the fit sells itself.

I do a great amount of observation and point out anything that I see, so both myself and my player can be 100% sure that the fit is right. Fitting with just a single mid iron with a couple different lengths, where the customer has to make adjustments just doesn't comply with my fitting theories.
                    Regards
                    Dan

True Length Technology TM
                    Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
                    True Frequency Technology TM
                    - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
                    - Master
                    Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
                    - Advanced / Professional
                    Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
                    - Class 'A'

Comment

Kinetic energy of the club head is 1/2mv(square). So the club head speed contributes much more than its mass. But, as mentioned, off-centered contacts are the problem with light heads, ie., less MOI of the club head. I did an experiment last Summer, with my old and trusty R7 quad driver, by putting all four weights as 1gr. The thing was feather light to swing, and it was "swooshing" with a higher speed, no questions, but boy, 1/2' of center was 30 yards off-line.
                      Shaft weight (total weight) is always a consideration. I have a separate fitting rack of irons that have shaft weights from 40 - 130g so the player can feel if a certain weight class will feel too light or heavy.

I too cannot stand the feel of a 'too light' of club. I do use a 75g ACCRA driver shaft with a D5 swingweight on my Geek driver. When reducing the length of a driver the head weight often does become light feeling so retrofits need to be a bit careful as to how much length you can remove before loosing the feel of the head. Head weight often needs to be added to create the feel without loosing where the head is during the swing.
                      Regards
                      Dan

True Length Technology TM
                      Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
                      True Frequency Technology TM
                      - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
                      - Master
                      Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
                      - Advanced / Professional
                      Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
                      - Class 'A'

Comment

go back and look for the "featherweight" club craze of the late '70 early '80 to see what a "feel" disaster it was for most.
                        The need for more speed was a short lived exercise in miss-guided futility.
                        things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                        X