/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Lessons for absolute beginner? Worth it?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lessons for absolute beginner? Worth it?

Originally posted by goshawk View Post
    I agree with Ryan. There are numerous reasons why lessons would benefit your wife, one of the most prevalent is a trained set of eyes to help her get on the right track from the beginning. In my experience, getting lessons from a close relative/spouse is a definite challenge, primarily due to familiarity.
    I echo these points.

Comment

I'd say try 2 or 3 lessons. Pros are used to working with beginners that need a bit of early success to be motivated further into the game. If all you ever do is go to the range and hit the same bad shots over and over, how long would you stick with it before you became frustrated and put down the clubs for good? At minimum they'll impart some of the fundamentals of grip / setup / posture. Who couldn't use that advice early on?
      We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
      Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
      Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
      Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
      Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
      Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
      Srixon Star XV
      Ogio Grom bag

Comment

One lesson. One lesson with a pro that I'm sure you'll be allowed to share. If you've got a pro hammering a first timer with details you've got the wrong guy. It should be a simple...here's how u hold it, here's how u stand, turn your shoulders and pose at the end.....

Comment

I'd take her to the driving range and get her to try hitting one solid shot. It doesn't matter where it goes as long as she makes solid contact. At least then she'll have experienced what it feels like to hit a golf ball before she gets caught up in lessons. I'd also take her to the putting green to practise some putts and chips not only to get a feel for the short game but for you to gauge her interest level as well. Physically, even a beginner can putt so you will quickly see if she's really that interested in playing before you start spending money on lessons, clubs, and clothes (don't forget clothes; they're a perk for women of all playing levels .

Comment

When my wife expressed interest in taking up golf, I bought her a 3-pack of lessons at Golftown (a few years back when they were still in the instruction game). After the first lesson, she said she wasn't going back. She hated the instructor. Fortunately, I was able to transfer the two remaining lessons into a GT store credit.

Since then, we've gone to the range a few times together, and she will allow me to give one or two suggestions per range session but anymore than that and she feels overwhelmed and is no longer having fun.

Next step for us is to get out on the course. The plan is a couple of spring range sessions this year, and then an easy 9 holes somewhere in the early summer (suggestions for good beginner courses are welcome).

I would agree with the general sentiment that the first priority should be to develop an enjoyment of the sport, and a general idea of how to get around a course. From personal experience, it seems that jumping right into lessons might not be the best approach, and the biggest factor is probably finding an instructor that your wife will respond to positively.

I wish you the best of luck getting your wife involved in the sport, and hope that you guys get to enjoy some time together on the course!

Comment

Originally posted by 3 off the tee View Post
              When my wife expressed interest in taking up golf, I bought her a 3-pack of lessons at Golftown (a few years back when they were still in the instruction game). After the first lesson, she said she wasn't going back. She hated the instructor. Fortunately, I was able to transfer the two remaining lessons into a GT store credit.
              Since then, we've gone to the range a few times together, and she will allow me to give one or two suggestions per range session but anymore than that and she feels overwhelmed and is no longer having fun.
              Next step for us is to get out on the course. The plan is a couple of spring range sessions this year, and then an easy 9 holes somewhere in the early summer (suggestions for good beginner courses are welcome).
              I would agree with the general sentiment that the first priority should be to develop an enjoyment of the sport, and a general idea of how to get around a course. From personal experience, it seems that jumping right into lessons might not be the best approach, and the biggest factor is probably finding an instructor that your wife will respond to positively.
              I wish you the best of luck getting your wife involved in the sport, and hope that you guys get to enjoy some time together on the course!
              Centennial Park Golf Centre,
              550 Centennial Park Blvd, Etobicoke,
              would seem to be ideal for you, Range, Miniputt, and relatively easy golf course.

Centennial Park Golf Centre. 27-hole executive length golf course. Driving Range. Mini-Golf. Restaurant.
              Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

absolutely get her lessons. I've lost count of how many times I've seen husbands try to teach their wives at the range with the worst tips and advice. Throwing a million things at them at once, without even nailing the basics like setup and grip right. And why does everyone insist on having people use a driver right away? Despite it being on a tee, hitting a driver is ridiculously difficult for a beginner and bad results will only dissuade someone from picking up a club again. Start with a wedge. Get grip right, do some chipping. Work her way up to a full swing.

Also, you may be a decent golfer, but that doesn't necessarily mean you know how to teach the game. Golf gets unnecessarily complicated and a good instructor will cut through all the noise.

Comment

IF you get lessons. I recommend a gravity swing teacher as women greatly benefit from physics-perfect swings which give them fluidity and effortless power.

And please make sure it is a good instructor who will put the why/how together for her and not just the what. As in... information on setup and grip can be found in 5-10min youtube videos. The reason you go pay for a coach is that the coach can help you understand how to get into those positions naturally so you can swing naturally instead of as a disjointed robot trying to muscle everything. Unfortunately only good teachers do this and there is no shortage of hacks stealing hourly fees while offering no more than a free youtube vid. Research your coach. Or just hire me lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
                    Is it worth it to get her some lessons yet or should I just keep taking her to the range a few more times and get her more comfortable first? Or are lessons still beneficial even though she still barely knows how to setup and bold a club?
                    Was in the same position myself many years ago. My wife found lessons with a teaching pro to be a little intimidating. So, they're not for everyone, at least not at the beginning.

FWIW, before any lessons, let her get familiar with her own 'swing' by just experimenting at the short-game area and perhaps on the putting green. Even if she is only chipping, it's a start that will give he some success in hitting the ball. Also, chipping and putting don't involve a full swing, so it doesn't take a lot of athletic skill.

You can help her with a simple grip, but just let her get started with something that she finds comfortable. You can always refine it later.

Comment

Interesting that OP posted in February and it appears we have not heard anything since or is there something between the lines that I missed.
                      Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post
                        Also, there are a lot of parts to the game so irons, driver, putting, chipping are all things that people need a basic idea about to get started.
                        All those "parts" have one thing in common :

Drumroll ........

A SWINGING motion !

Is that why they call it a golf SWING ?

Comment

Originally posted by blazex2 View Post
                          And why does everyone insist on having people use a driver right away? Despite it being on a tee, hitting a driver is ridiculously difficult for a beginner and bad results will only dissuade someone from picking up a club again. Start with a wedge. Get grip right, do some chipping. Work her way up to a full swing.
                          For a beginner, I wouldn't even start with a BALL

Learn to SWING the club first and foremost !

Then LET the ball be in the way !

As for a wedge, I would suggest a (teed up (grass-low tee preferably) 7i instead, as I think that's an easier club.

Comment

Originally posted by shizzngiggls View Post
                            One lesson. One lesson with a pro that I'm sure you'll be allowed to share. If you've got a pro hammering a first timer with details you've got the wrong guy. It should be a simple...here's how u hold it, here's how u stand, turn your shoulders and pose at the end.....
                            I taught something similiar to never-had-swung-a-club sister years ago.

She was average, maybe slightly above average athletic (played a lot of tennis), so my "sample-of-1" lesson might not be conclusive

Anyway, I expanded on your "turn shoulders" to "hold the club in front of you and turn back and turn through". She did that motion a few times WITHOUT A BALL, then put a ball down and after a few mishits, connected with a nice "real golf shot".

Comment

Originally posted by mstram View Post
                              I taught something similiar to never-had-swung-a-club sister years ago.

She was average, maybe slightly above average athletic (played a lot of tennis), so my "sample-of-1" lesson might not be conclusive

Anyway, I expanded on your "turn shoulders" to "hold the club in front of you and turn back and turn through". She did that motion a few times WITHOUT A BALL, then put a ball down and after a few mishits, connected with a nice "real golf shot".
                              You can add to it by adding a whoosh drill. After you've got them turning and posing, get them to flip the club upside down and emphasize a whoosh sound through the hitting area with the grip end down.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X