/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

I lost my only car key, anyone recommend a locksmith?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I lost my only car key, anyone recommend a locksmith?

It is for a VW. Anyone gone through this? I know I could call the dealer but they will be my last resort as I know they will be the most expensive and I believe it takes ~5 days to get a key, I"ve heard locksmiths can do it onsite. Any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

Re: I lost my only car key, anyone recommend a locksmith?

Originally posted by lipw87 View Post
    It is for a VW. Anyone gone through this? I know I could call the dealer but they will be my last resort as I know they will be the most expensive and I believe it takes ~5 days to get a key, I"ve heard locksmiths can do it onsite. Any suggestions I'd appreciate it.
    It depends on the type of key as to whether most locksmiths can even do it.

I learned the hard way with one car, it was much cheaper to replace the side glass.

Comment

I luckily left my car door unlocked, but still.. I guess I will call around.

Comment

CAA (free) or any tow truck driver ($50) can get you in the car in about 5 seconds flat (I think those guys even have olympics for this).
        Chip key that's a whole new deal, Chryslers I know go for around $125, you need your VIN; VW's I don't know.
        Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post
          CAA (free) or any tow truck driver ($50) can get you in the car in about 5 seconds flat (I think those guys even have olympics for this).
          Chip key that's a whole new deal, Chryslers I know go for around $125, you need your VIN; VW's I don't know.
          He will need his V.I.N. and I.D. to order a key from V.W., it can be anywhere from $200 - $600 depending on the yr, and then they will have to program the key, if older model then he's lucky...
          Thomas4golf

Ping G425 Max/Tensei AV Orange
          Callaway XR Hybrids, 4, 5, 6 Accra I-Series
          Miura TC-201 / 6 - PW N.S. Pro 950 GH
          Callaway Jaws Raw /50* 54* 58* N.S. Modus
          Ferrules by Bbandfco

Putter / Ping Prime Tyne 4
          Pro V1x Left Dash
          Leupold GX - 5C R.F.

Vessel Player 111 Stand Bag / Black
          Stewart X9

Member: Coppinwood Golf Club

Comment

sent you a PM with a name and number of a guy near Finch and the 404

Comment

Originally posted by hannah View Post
              He will need his V.I.N. and I.D. to order a key from V.W., it can be anywhere from $200 - $600 depending on the yr, and then they will have to program the key, if older model then he's lucky...
              You just made me buy another key for my Passat. I've had only one for the last three years and I know I'm tempting fate.

$13 bucks on ebay is good insurance

Comment

just a heads up for anyone who is looking for an additional key. I went thru this a few months ago with my 2009 Rav4 Ltd. When we bought the Rav used from a Toyota dealer we received 2 fobs but only received 1 Toyota key fob. This was important to us because the 2009 Rav4 Ltd has a push button start and a smart key fob.

To our surprise only the Toyota Fob worked to KEEP the car started, as the other fob was for the remote starter. We were not given the fobs until after the deal was finalized.

Anyhow Toyota wanted 300 plus for a 2nd fob. We were able to purchase a good one from ebay and get it programmed and have the emergency key cut by a locksmith from TO. If you have a push button start, do a bit of research before you buy a 2nd fob. Some vehicles need a fob that has never been programmed before (sometimes dealers and locksmiths just tell you that), some dealers will not try a program one that was not supplied by them, you need to match the model and the transmitter frequency of the existing fob.

Just like when you get a new ECU in your car you will need to get the new and old fob programmed. Sometimes if you have the appropriate software and tools you can program these yourselves. I bought one that had been previously used and I bought a little gadget and software to program it myself and some other options on the car, but because it was used a locksmith had to use some more sophisticated software to program it for me.

just wanted to give you some more info before anyone with a smart key fob went on a buying spree without researching

Comment

Sorry to hear about your lost keys. When I bought my Mazda5 back in 2007 they supplied us with 2 keys. I still felt we need a third between my wife and I. So off of ebay I bought an used fob chip key and a blank blade. I was able to install the blank blade into the fob and got it cut at a Mazda dealership. If I remember correctly I got it cut through my S/N. I then downloaded instructions on how to program the new key to my car off the internet. It was actually quite simple (ie Opening and closing my front door 3 times after turning on the car, push button on key...etc). I don't think it costed me anymore than 50 bucks which was 6x cheaper than buying a brand new one from Mazda. Not sure if it would be the same procedure with a VW.

Of course this will not solve your immediate concerns but might be a thought to consider if you want to get a second emergency key later on in the future.
                  Cobra L5V- Nunchuk shaft
                  Ping Rapture V2 4W
                  Adams Idea Pro 2H
                  Accuform PTM
                  SC Red X

Comment

Originally posted by Yjkee
                    I hired locksmith toronto when i had a similar issue, he took out my broken key and unlocked my car. It wasnt cheap but the work was done really fast and i paid less than i could have to pay for a lock replacement than in a dealer store etc. Though in a network have to be a lot of scam and you can get caught.
                    That is a solid bump on a 2 year old thread, I sure hope he sorted it out by now.
                    M1 8.5* Aldila Rouge
                    Titleist 915 15* Speeder 757
                    M1 18* Speeder 757
                    Titleist AP2
                    Vokey TVD 50, 54, 58
                    Newport 2
                    PROV1X

Comment

Originally posted by Betterthanpar View Post
                      That is a solid bump on a 2 year old thread, I sure hope he sorted it out by now.
                      The user who posted today just joined. Today.

You don't suppose someone is trying to boost his post count so that he can sell something, do you?

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post
                        You don't suppose someone is trying to boost his post count so that he can sell something, do you?
                        More likely they are avoiding sponsor fees.
                        Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post

becasue their nick is yjkee....kee as in KEY
                          In the Bag

Driver: Epic Flash Sub Zero - Accra FX-260
                          Fairway Wood: Cobra F8 - Tensei CK Orange
                          Hybrid:Mizuno JPX 900 - Accra FX-200H
                          Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Tours - KBS C-Taper
                          Wedges: Mizuno S7 Blu-ion - 49*, 53.5*, 59* - DG Spinner
                          Putter:Bobby Grace Smart Fit F18
                          Ball: Bx or Z-Star XV
                          --------
                          Home Course - Clublink

Comment

Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post
                            More likely they are avoiding sponsor fees.
                            I hope you're not suggesting that someone would promote a business on a thread, are you? Isn't that just for sponsors?
                            Last edited by Benz; Nov 14, 2016, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Betterthanpar View Post
                              After all this time, I hope he didn't leave the engine running....

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X