Collapse

Persimmon anyone?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Persimmon anyone?

I was browsing eBay early last week, which is not too uncommon for me, when I decided to search for real wood woods. I used to play real wood woods back in the early 1980's and kind of missed their distinctive sound and feel. Anyway I came across this eBay dealer in North Carolina that sells fully refinished wood woods for bargain basement prices. On his page I found a beautiful set of Ping Eye woods, both the driver and 4 wood, for a great opening bid price. I have always wanted this set being a Ping fan and all. So I watched and waited and put in my bid and low and behold I won them for the opening bid. The clubs are now in transit and I can't wait to see them. My question is this. How many of you still play, at least some of the time, real wood woods? Aren't they special? I would love to see some of today's pros trying their hand at them.
    Driver: TaylorMade M1 10.5
    Fairway: TaylorMade M1 3 Wood
    Irons: Callaway X Forged 2013 4 to PW
    Wedges: Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52 56 60
    Putter: Odyssey PT 82
    Ball: Callaway SR 2

Re: Persimmon anyone?

I still have two beautiful persimmon drivers that I used years ago. The last time I played with them on a regular basis was probably in the early to mid-90s. At the time I still played the Titleist balata balls - real balata balls. Admittedly, I was younger and stronger, but I could fly the ball over 260 at the time with that equipment. In the last three years I have played the persimmons at least once a year. My own observation is that the persimmons do not match up well with today's golf balls, including the Titleist V1. I realize that this is anecdotal only, but I suspect that you may notice the same thing. In short, you may not be able to recapture that feeling of old. They're damned nice to look at, though.

Enjoy your new weapons.

Originally posted by vicbri View Post
    I was browsing eBay early last week, which is not too uncommon for me, when I decided to search for real wood woods. I used to play real wood woods back in the early 1980's and kind of missed their distinctive sound and feel. Anyway I came across this eBay dealer in North Carolina that sells fully refinished wood woods for bargain basement prices. On his page I found a beautiful set of Ping Eye woods, both the driver and 4 wood, for a great opening bid price. I have always wanted this set being a Ping fan and all. So I watched and waited and put in my bid and low and behold I won them for the opening bid. The clubs are now in transit and I can't wait to see them. My question is this. How many of you still play, at least some of the time, real wood woods? Aren't they special? I would love to see some of today's pros trying their hand at them.
    This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

By the way, if anyone is interested in giving my two persimmon drivers a home you are more than welcome to have them for free. The drivers are: a Tommy Armour, PGA, and a H&B Powerbuilt Citation. They are yours for the asking.

Comment

Clevelands new prototype, looks like a Persimmon driver.

All done club hoeing....maybe

Comment

I may have a few kicking around but wont be useing them any time soon

Comment

I did play Ping Eye2 driver and woods back in the early 80's they were laminated as opposed to persimmon and have very fond memories of my old MacGregor's that were persimmon. I still own a set of Hogans from the 80's as well.

I was able to pick up a complete set of Titleist persimmon woods off ebay that have never been hit. They have the original GP Green Victory grips (dried out and not playable) along with the DG shaft (pristine shaft bands) the only blemish is the finish is separating at the sole plates.

I also have what was considered at the time a very high tech Wood Brothers driver (cork filled head) persimmon driver with a graphite shaft called Kool Cat. The Wood Brothers were better known for their Oil hardened "Texas" drivers that featured a sole plate that looked like the state of Texas.....

In any event since I am in my early fifties and drive the ball longer with todays equipment than I did in my 20/30's, sadly, they are for show only.

I still play forged blades. Again, new generation equipment. My Titleist 710 MB's are far more forgiving and playable than my gear from the 70's and 80's.
            Ping G30 9.0 Tour 80X
            Ping G25 4W
            Ping G30 7W
            Ping S55 4-PW
            ping Eye2 Gorge S,L
            Byron Morgan DH89

Comment

I should be able to hit the woods far enough for my course, which is kind of short. I'm looking forward to trying to work the ball. Also looking forward to playing some clubs that I have adored since the 1980's. I figure for $65 to make a dream come true is pretty reasonable.

Comment

I still have a number of persimmon woods from my youth, MacGregor, Titleist, Powerbilt, Wood Bros, and even a Yamaha!! As far as I know Ping never made a persimmon wood, so I'm quite sure your driver will be laminated (but, I could be wrong). Also, as was correctly said, the golf balls of today is what makes it tough to "work" the ball. For those old enough, remember how cool those "rising" drives were?? Man, now we laugh at someone with 6000 rpm spin rates!!!
                The last thing to be careful of is the new hard balls will easily crack the cycolac inserts.
                You'll have fun playing with old school clubs, but unless you have old school balls, you'll never really recreate the old feel!

Comment

Originally posted by gbrgolf View Post
                  I still have a number of persimmon woods from my youth, MacGregor, Titleist, Powerbilt, Wood Bros, and even a Yamaha!! As far as I know Ping never made a persimmon wood, so I'm quite sure your driver will be laminated (but, I could be wrong). Also, as was correctly said, the golf balls of today is what makes it tough to "work" the ball. For those old enough, remember how cool those "rising" drives were?? Man, now we laugh at someone with 6000 rpm spin rates!!!
                  The last thing to be careful of is the new hard balls will easily crack the cycolac inserts.
                  You'll have fun playing with old school clubs, but unless you have old school balls, you'll never really recreate the old feel!
                  Actually I do know that my Ping Eye's are laminated, but "Laminated anyone" wasn't quite as catchy. As for the balls, I do have a large quantity that I can fool around with. Should be fun.

Comment

I play 1950 Mens R/H MacGregor Tourney persimmon wood M43's and I have a set of 1953-55 MacGregor Tourney M85's too! I pulled the original shafts and put in TT Lites cut to a seniors flex. I repair, rebuild, refinish and restore them as well. I have to use a soft cover ball with a low compression but still am able to hit 230 - 250 yards. The hard part "still" is keeping it in the fairway.
                    Max
                    " One Day At A Time"

Comment

Actually I do know that my Ping Eye's are laminated, but "Laminated anyone" wasn't quite as catchy. As for the balls, I do have a large quantity that I can fool around with. Should be fun.
                      Cool! and I'm sure it will be fun!! enjoy...

Comment

Originally posted by gbrgolf View Post
                        I'm 54 years of age.......does that mean I have old school balls

Comment

Clubs arrived today. They are beauties. They look like they just came off the store shelf in 1980. Can't wait to try them out. Won't be waiting long as I have a tee time booked for this coming Friday at Parkview. Luckily the season isn't quite over yet.
                          Last edited by vicbri; Dec 12, 2011, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Pictures?
                            " One Day At A Time"

Comment

My dad had a set of these laminated beauties. He loved them.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X