Collapse

Do Any TGNers play SL Irons ???

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do Any TGNers play SL Irons ???

I fit and make SL clubs. I do playSL irons - Wishon Sterlings. Sand wedge to 5 iron. I use the Sterling 5 hybrid as a 4 iron within this set. Sterling sand wedge for full shots. I use 58 degree traditional wedge for sand shots, and short, touch shots.

I highly recommend fitted SL sets, I am an example of using the best fitted equipment for oneself to get the most out one's game. I carry a 3.7 index on a course that really resists scoring, down from a high of 5.6 with my TLT type set over last seasons play. My course has a lot of uneven lies, even in the best parts of the fairways. One size, one swing makes a lot of sense, and it's helped me. I have an open mind and tried them, liked them.

I have been playing golf for nearly 40 years and I have been able to adjust to one ball position for almost all standard shots. So you can teach an old dog new tricks, but moving from TLT type set, certainly eases some shock, as compared to switching out of traditional irons that one has used for a long time.

My average carry distance is 156 yards with a seven iron. All SL irons are 36.75" long. My average iron swing speed last year was 82 mph.
    Engineered Golf
    7 Brent Court
    North Bay, ON
    P1B 9M4
    www.engineeredgolf.ca

Comment

Originally posted by fhann View Post
      I fit and make SL clubs. I do playSL irons - Wishon Sterlings. Sand wedge to 5 iron. I use the Sterling 5 hybrid as a 4 iron within this set. Sterling sand wedge for full shots. I use 58 degree traditional wedge for sand shots, and short, touch shots.

Do you get more distance out of the 5 hybrid than the 5 iron? Loft is the same.

Comment

From Dream to Product: The Story Behind Sterling Irons

Comment

Originally posted by Gridiron View Post
          https://www.mygolfspy.com/the-story-...art-to-finish/
          Perfect for some go train reading... thanks.
          Bag: PING Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Floral
          Driver: TM SIM2 MAX @ 10.5*
          Wood: TM SIM2 MAX @ 15*
          Hybrids: TM SIM2 22*
          Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW
          Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60*
          Putter: SGC WB Northwood
          Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Comment

https://www.mygolfspy.com/the-story-...art-to-finish/
            great read thanks for posting
            "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by fhann View Post

I highly recommend fitted SL sets, I am an example of using the best fitted equipment for oneself to get the most out one's game. I carry a 3.7 index on a course that really resists scoring, down from a high of 5.6 with my TLT type set over last seasons play. My course has a lot of uneven lies, even in the best parts of the fairways. One size, one swing makes a lot of sense, and it's helped me. I have an open mind and tried them, liked them.

I have been playing golf for nearly 40 years and I have been able to adjust to one ball position for almost all standard shots. So you can teach an old dog new tricks, but moving from TLT type set, certainly eases some shock, as compared to switching out of traditional irons that one has used for a long time.

My average carry distance is 156 yards with a seven iron. All SL irons are 36.75" long. My average iron swing speed last year was 82 mph.
              Similar to Godwin's Law, it's only a matter of time before someone mentions how far they hit their 7 iron.
              WITB: clubs, balls, tees, Advil and a candlestick (just in case)

Comment

Single Length club study courtesy of www.mygolfspy.com

Is ONE Length Right For You? We tested them, and here's what we learned.
                Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post
                  one of the issues I have with these reviews is the issue that Dan continually raises , that being adjustment period. All these players have likely been playing a "standard" build set of golf clubs for many years so to not have a period of accommodation to the SL set will not (IMO) provide an accurate comparison.

Some golfers might accommodate quickly but I think Dan says a minimum of 5 sessions are required.
                  "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
                    one of the issues I have with these reviews is the issue that Dan continually raises , that being adjustment period. All these players have likely been playing a "standard" build set of golf clubs for many years so to not have a period of accommodation to the SL set will not (IMO) provide an accurate comparison.

Some golfers might accommodate quickly but I think Dan says a minimum of 5 sessions are required.
                    I believe this to be true for all new sets. I tell my clients not to consider an adjustment for at least 5 rounds regardless of the type of build.

I find the biggest issue for people with SL is the 6 inches between the ears. One must have an open mind, no pre conceived ideas.

I would really like to see a comparison after the tester has played 4 or 5 rounds with SLs....

I often switch back to my other set (TLT) when my SL set goes out on DEMO and at some point during the round wish I had the SLs. Not saying the SLs are better, but they definitely take some variables out of play, and definitely the longer irons are easier to play.
                    JIM
                    Kona Golf Sales

WIB-

What Day is it?

But Be Sure They Will Be
                    TLT & TFT & Spined /Flo'd
                    Single Length Irons and Hybrids

Comment

one of the issues I have with these reviews is the issue that Dan continually raises , that being adjustment period. All these players have likely been playing a "standard" build set of golf clubs for many years so to not have a period of accommodation to the SL set will not (IMO) provide an accurate comparison. Some golfers might accommodate quickly but I think Dan says a minimum of 5 sessions are required.
                      Definitely agree and that is exactly what I posted elsewhere with regard to these SL clubs:

These are claimed by some to be the best Single Length clubs in the World, they have been around for over 20 years so maybe they do have something special, and have a lot of good information on the website:
                      The leader in Single-Length golf club design for 25 years and recognized as the leading authority on Single-Length play. We offer custom built Single-Length woods, irons, and wedges

Although they do say they are not designed for sweepers they do say they are excellent for people with very small divots and who just skim the grass. Coupled with a perfectly matched graphite shaft to one swing type they should be good for most, albeit maybe not the financial department.
                      Though if one is truly into getting the best or better why not forsake a few rounds of golf to pay for them. Just spend time at the range, which is what they suggest you are going to need anyways to get use to your new set of clubs.
                      Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Originally posted by Kona Golf View Post
                        I believe this to be true for all new sets. I tell my clients not to consider an adjustment for at least 5 rounds regardless of the type of build.

I find the biggest issue for people with SL is the 6 inches between the ears. One must have an open mind, no pre conceived ideas.

I would really like to see a comparison after the tester has played 4 or 5 rounds with SLs....

I often switch back to my other set (TLT) when my SL set goes out on DEMO and at some point during the round wish I had the SLs. Not saying the SLs are better, but they definitely take some variables out of play, and definitely the longer irons are easier to play.
                        100% why I'm planning on having Dan construct my SL set to the specs of all my TLT wedges.

A - I love that 36.5 length and the TLT lie fits me nicely

B - If I know I'm already ok with that length and lie hopefully my brain will play nice!
                        Bag: PING Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Floral
                        Driver: TM SIM2 MAX @ 10.5*
                        Wood: TM SIM2 MAX @ 15*
                        Hybrids: TM SIM2 22*
                        Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW
                        Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60*
                        Putter: SGC WB Northwood
                        Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Comment

This is in ALL RESPECT to you and Dan, but i have a different opinion on this subject: to me, a "big" adjustment would be needed if one is going the other way around, i.e., from SL to a conventional set.
                          But the whole premise of SL is that the whole set of SL irons is used as a conventional 7 iron. So if one can hit a conventional 7i they can hit all SL irons, without any adjustments or worry - same setup, same swing, same ball position, etc., etc., no ???

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post
                            This is in ALL RESPECT to you and Dan, but i have a different opinion on this subject: to me, a "big" adjustment would be needed if one is going the other way around, i.e., from SL to a conventional set.
                            But the whole premise of SL is that the whole set of SL irons is used as a conventional 7 iron. So if one can hit a conventional 7i they can hit all SL irons, without any adjustments or worry - same setup, same swing, same ball position, etc., etc., no ???
                            If all of your wedges were suddenly the length of your 7 iron, do you think you would be 100% comfortable right away or do you think it might take you a little time to get your mental state to a place where a 56 degree wedge that is 1.5" to 2" longer looks and feels normal?

Comment

If all of your wedges were suddenly the length of your 7 iron, do you think you would be 100% comfortable right away or do you think it might take you a little time to get your mental state to a place where a 56 degree wedge that is 1.5" to 2" longer looks and feels normal?
                              A very fair question, indeed

What i said above is only IMHO, since i never tried SL.

But, and AGAIN, this is just my rubbish opinion. But since i can change my swing (out of my "inventory" of 4 swings or more, lol) from one hole to the next, i'm convinced that, AGAIN FOR ME ONLY, if i had SL irons to try, the adjustment period would be a non-issue, and actually i would probably and immediately start to play/swing better, because, and for example. i would not have to reach down on wedges, since i'm 6'3".

But please, this is not to inflate or brag about my swing here, ok

Cheers !

Comment

Originally posted by jburns View Post
                                100% why I'm planning on having Dan construct my SL set to the specs of all my TLT wedges.

A - I love that 36.5 length and the TLT lie fits me nicely

B - If I know I'm already ok with that length and lie hopefully my brain will play nice!
                                If you are using a TLT'd set I don't think you will have any issues going to SL
                                JIM
                                Kona Golf Sales

WIB-

What Day is it?

But Be Sure They Will Be
                                TLT & TFT & Spined /Flo'd
                                Single Length Irons and Hybrids

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard