Do Any TGNers play SL Irons ???

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do Any TGNers play SL Irons ???

Originally posted by Kona Golf View Post
    If you are using a TLT'd set I don't think you will have any issues going to SL
    Just to add to that, my understanding of TLT is that some reference point on all clubs (the butt or say the mid-point of the grip) is the same or close to the same height off the ground. One can think of that vertical distance as say dimension Y.

If X is the horizontal dimension from that point to the club heel, TLT has different lie angles and X dimensions while SL has identical lies and X dimensions.
    WITB: clubs, balls, tees, Advil and a candlestick (just in case)

Comment

Originally posted by ManFromMoffat View Post
      Just to add to that, my understanding of TLT is that some reference point on all clubs (the butt or say the mid-point of the grip) is the same or close to the same height off the ground. One can think of that vertical distance as say dimension Y.

If X is the horizontal dimension from that point to the club heel, TLT has different lie angles and X dimensions while SL has identical lies and X dimensions.
      I think that you are 100% correct and you explained it really well, you an engineer

IOW, X and Y is identical for whole SL set.
      and for TLT: Y is same, X different
      and for CONVENTIONAL, both, Y and X are different for each iron in the set.

Cheers !
      Last edited by veryold; Feb 10, 2017, 10:42 AM.

Comment

SL Ball Position remains the same on Standard shots, TLT your Stance (and hand postion on the club) remains the same but ball position changes slightly on each shot.

SL Ball Position changes when you want to hit a higher shot / punch shot etc. just as it would with any other type of clubs.

In both cases your atheletic stance, hand position on club remain the same.

Both scenarios leads to better ball striking and more consistency. MORE ENJOYMENT!
        JIM
        Kona Golf Sales

WIB-

What Day is it?

But Be Sure They Will Be
        TLT & TFT & Spined /Flo'd
        Single Length Irons and Hybrids

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post
          I think that you are 100% correct and you explained it really well, you an engineer

IOW, X and Y is identical for whole SL set.
          and for TLT: Y is same, X different
          and for CONVENTIONAL, both, Y and X are different for each iron in the set.

Cheers !
          Yes, and as Jim from Kona Golf states above, with TLT there is a third (I suspect minor) dimension: Z.

I like the idea of more enjoyment Jim!

Comment

Yes, and as Jim from Kona Golf states above, with TLT there is a third (I suspect minor) dimension: Z.
            I like the idea of more enjoyment Jim!
            Great, and as a side/funny comment, i see advil in your WITB items, which both of us may ditch after we switch to a nice, upright posture with SLs, but the candlestick stays
            Cheers !
            Last edited by veryold; Feb 10, 2017, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Just to add to that, my understanding of TLT is that some reference point on all clubs (the butt or say the mid-point of the grip) is the same or close to the same height off the ground. One can think of that vertical distance as say dimension Y. If X is the horizontal dimension from that point to the club heel, TLT has different lie angles and X dimensions while SL has identical lies and X dimensions.
              Sorry for the TJ, but could not help myself.
              Algebra please stop asking us to find your "X"
              She's not coming back so don't ask "Y".
              Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post
                I thought you were bringing her back?
                There was a middle aged guy who bought a brand new Mercedes convertible SLK. He took off down the road, flooring it up to 80 mph and enjoying the wind blowing through what little hair he had left on his head. 'This is great,' he thought and floored it some more. He looked in his rearview mirror and there was a Florida Highway Patrol Trooper behind him, blue lights flashing and siren blasting. 'I can get away from him with no problem' thought the man and he floored it some more and flew down the road at over 100 mph.
                Then he thought, 'What am I doing? I'm too old for this kind of thing' and pulled over to the side of the road and waited for the State Trooper to catch up with him.
                The Trooper pulled in behind the Mercedes and walked up to the man.
                'Sir,' he said, looking at his watch. 'My shift ends in 30 minutes and today is Friday the 13th. If you can give me a reason why you were speeding; that I've never heard before, I'll let you go.'
                The man looked back at the Trooper and said, 'Last week my wife ran off with a State Trooper, and I thought you were bringing her back.'
                The State Trooper said, 'Have a nice day

Comment

Originally posted by Tintin View Post
                  I thought you were bringing her back?
                  There was a middle aged guy who bought a brand new Mercedes convertible SLK. He took off down the road, flooring it up to 80 mph and enjoying the wind blowing through what little hair he had left on his head. 'This is great,' he thought and floored it some more. He looked in his rearview mirror and there was a Florida Highway Patrol Trooper behind him, blue lights flashing and siren blasting. 'I can get away from him with no problem' thought the man and he floored it some more and flew down the road at over 100 mph.
                  Then he thought, 'What am I doing? I'm too old for this kind of thing' and pulled over to the side of the road and waited for the State Trooper to catch up with him.
                  The Trooper pulled in behind the Mercedes and walked up to the man.
                  'Sir,' he said, looking at his watch. 'My shift ends in 30 minutes and today is Friday the 13th. If you can give me a reason why you were speeding; that I've never heard before, I'll let you go.'
                  The man looked back at the Trooper and said, 'Last week my wife ran off with a State Trooper, and I thought you were bringing her back.'
                  The State Trooper said, 'Have a nice day
                  You made my day
                  THANKS AND CHEERS !!!

Comment

Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post
                    OK, next time I'll start with "Let X = ..."

Comment

Just a question: i have "accumulated" 4-5 hybrids that i don't use at all, so:
                      1) could the graphite shafts from these hybrids be pulled out without damage to the shafts ?
                      2) could those hybrid graphite shafts be used, on say, pinhawk SLs ?
                      3) is this another of my really stupid ideas ?

Many thanks and cheers !
                      Last edited by veryold; Feb 11, 2017, 12:33 PM.

Comment

1) could the graphite shafts from these hybrids be pulled out without damage to the shafts ?

Many thanks and cheers !
                        Not knowing any idea on tip size and weight I would assume it may be more advantageous for you to find a set of pulled graphite shafts at a decent price and get them installed. There are also a number of high quality component shafts that are extremely affordable... possibly less then pulling, trimming, re-gripping, and installing the hybrid shafts into the Pinhawks.
                        Bag: PING Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Floral
                        Driver: TM SIM2 MAX @ 10.5*
                        Wood: TM SIM2 MAX @ 15*
                        Hybrids: TM SIM2 22*
                        Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW
                        Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60*
                        Putter: SGC WB Northwood
                        Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Comment

Originally posted by jburns View Post
                          Not knowing any idea on tip size and weight I would assume it may be more advantageous for you to find a set of pulled graphite shafts at a decent price and get them installed. There are also a number of high quality component shafts that are extremely affordable... possibly less then pulling, trimming, re-gripping, and installing the hybrid shafts into the Pinhawks.
                          Hey thanks for this
                          Oh, i didn't mention, all the work, other than "pulling" will be done by me, lol.
                          I built a 9 wood out of components i purchased locally at least 15 years ago, using a shaft from a driver of some kind from the good ol' Goodwill ($1.99 IIRC) that i just sawed of at the neck, and the Canadian Tire cheap LePage epoxy, and the thing is as good, after all these years of constant use, as any Big Names clubs

Comment

Many thanks and cheers !

Yes they can be pulled without any damage. And if they are .370 they can probably be tipped to 7 iron length. However if they are not of the same brand it will defeat the purpose of uniformity throughout the set.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                            X