Collapse

Drill to help close driver club face?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill to help close driver club face?

As the title says, are there any drills which would help me close the club face of my driver to reduce/eliminate my slice?

Previously, I had a somewhat weak grip and have since changed that to a strong one with very little change in ball flight.

I know it's an open face issue because 1) the ball flies straight for about 150 yards or so and then cuts right and 2) the tee mark on the driver's sole is not perpendicular to the face but at a slight angle.

Thanks for any help you can provide

Re: Drill to help close driver club face?

it's possible that you're using a shaft that's too stiff for you?

one thing i'd double check is to make sure that the the clubface is SQUARE or OPEN at the top of your backswing. starting with a CLOSED face inevitably leads to an OPEN face at contact.

Comment

Originally posted by Thimble
      Flex is key.

I even went as far as buying myself an offset driver.

Ping G5 offset was great when I demo'ed it for a round.
      But I couldn't justify spending that kind of money to the wife.
      So I went with a discontinued Cleveland Sport.

Comment

Although there are many potential swing faults that lead to the cause (open club face with an out to in swing path), and thus cures for a slice, for a good instructional book and DVD almost entirely devoted to eliminating the slice check out below.

Bluehost - Top rated web hosting provider - Free 1 click installs For blogs, shopping carts, and more. Get a free domain name, real NON-outsourced 24/7 support, and superior speed. web hosting provider php hosting cheap web hosting, Web hosting, domain names, front page hosting, email hosting. We offer affordable hosting, web hosting provider business web hosting, ecommerce hosting, unix hosting. Phone support available, Free Domain, and Free Setup.

Slightly unconventional, but I have found it helpful.

reader
        Last edited by reader; Aug 1, 2006, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thimble
          I normally use a driver with a regular flex shaft. Funny thing is that, when I demoed a driver with a stiff flex shaft, I tend to hit the ball with less of a slice

Comment

try to be a bit more "handsy" with ur driver and try not to fire your hips too early.
            In the Bag :
            Ping G5 9*, GD TourAD N65 proto
            Touredge Exotics 4FW 16.5*, Fuji Rombax 70 HB
            Yamaha U-TD 19*, Fuji Rombax 80 HB
            Nickent 3dx ironwood Dc 23*, Fuji E380 HB
            5,6 Mirua CB 3003 NSPRO 1150 Tour
            7 8 9 P Mirua MB 5003 NSPRO 1150 Tour
            51*, 55* Srixon i302
            58* Miura WMF Series Wedges DG S200
            Takehiko Oda Forged Milled Putter

Comment

I've always tried to put my elbow in my pocket when swinging and that gets me a fairly controllable draw (FAIRLY). If you're right-handed, try placing your righr elbow in your right pants pocket (not in actuality obviously) and that will ensure your path is inside to out and that you get more wrist action. Thats just me though.

Comment

Originally posted by dohboy
                As the title says, are there any drills which would help me close the club face of my driver to reduce/eliminate my slice?

Previously, I had a somewhat weak grip and have since changed that to a strong one with very little change in ball flight.

I know it's an open face issue because 1) the ball flies straight for about 150 yards or so and then cuts right and 2) the tee mark on the driver's sole is not perpendicular to the face but at a slight angle.

Thanks for any help you can provide
                Let me say that you can slice with a strong grip as well,especially if your lower hand is too far under and being so locks both wrists
                This is a little against the grain of conventional swing teaching, but it was shown to me by a +2 player and it works for me with a driver or any other club in my bag.
                neutral grip
                Ball position is important on this.
                Ball position in my case is 2 ball dia.(approx.3") ahead of center in my stance for the driver and one dia.behind center for the irons.
                Stance is slightly closed(1") but only for the driver( slightly open for all my irons)
                Address the ball closer to the toe with the clubface slightly open.
                Swing normaly and rotate forearms a little faster than normaly.
                I get a nice high draw off the driver and a boring pipe line with the irons.

Comment

Try turning your hands over through impact so that your right arm/forearm/hand are on top through your follow through. I have found this has helped to close my club face through impact. I originally tried this after reading that TIGER uses this method for drawing the ball. If it draws the ball for him it should help the slicer hit straighter. Works for me!

Comment

Originally posted by koye
                    try to be a bit more "handsy" with ur driver and try not to fire your hips too early.
                    I think this is good advice. I sliced for years until a club pro told me that I was not turning over the club properly....my wrists were locked. He told as a pre swing/hit routine..to waggle the club with loose wrists before I hit. Worked like a charm.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                    X