Collapse

North or South Caroline Golf

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North or South Caroline Golf

A buddy and I are trying to plan a golf trip in March and drive from Toronto down to Carolina for a weekend.

The Leafs play in Raleigh on March 11 so we were kinda looking at that weekend.

Does anyone have any suggestions on golf packages that are good and affordable down there?

THANKS

Re: North or South Caroline Golf

long drive for a weekend.

check out eatsleepdrinkgolf - one of the sponsors of the site. He can set you up
    MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post
      long drive for a weekend.

check out eatsleepdrinkgolf - one of the sponsors of the site. He can set you up
      Maybe from Bytown, not from The 6ix!

We did a northern Alabama-run, Thursday to Sunday (played 4 rounds) in mid-November! (with stops in Nashville & Cincinnati on the way back)

To the OP, I would aim to play in NC.....perhaps Tot Hill Farms (south of Greensboro) or The Neuse (southeast of Raleigh) are 2 of my faves
      Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post
        Maybe from Bytown, not from The 6ix!

We did a northern Alabama-run, Thursday to Sunday (played 4 rounds) in mid-November! (with stops in Nashville & Cincinnati on the way back)

To the OP, I would aim to play in NC.....perhaps Tot Hill Farms (south of Greensboro) or The Neuse (southeast of Raleigh) are 2 of my faves
        that's why they invented planes

not much further and not a drive I'd want to do for a weekend. But that's just me.
        MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

You do realise its about 15 hrs to get there?

Comment

Plan a trip to Pinehurst, Raleigh is only an hour away. Best trip my son and I had was a few days in February with 3 rounds in Pinehurst, 1 round at Tobacco Road of course and then a game at Raleigh to see our buddy, Joe Thornton with the Bruins then, but the highlight was the last NASCAR race at The Rock (Rockingham). What a great track. You can plan a fairly cheap trip to Pinehurst with some quality courses. Definitely include Tobacco Road. The Legacy is good, as is Beacon Ridge and Seven Lakes and Southern Pines. Not much night life in Pinehurst, but the city of Southern Pines is close by. Have dinner and a couple Guinness at Dugans Pub in Pinehurst.
            Ping G425 Max 9* Driver, Tour 65-S
            Ping G425 SFT 15* 3 Wood, Tour 75-S
            Ping G425 SFT 19* 5 Wood, Tour 75-S
            Ping G425 Max 23.5* 9 Wood, Tour 75-S
            Ping G425 Max 26* 5 Hybrid, Tour 85-S
            Ping S56 Irons, 6 to 9, PW, Aldila VS 85-S
            Ping Tour S, 52/12*, 58/10*,Aldila VS 85-S
            Ping Chip-R, Ping Z115-S (new)
            Ping 35" Tomcat 14 Putter (new)
            Ping "Latitude" Carry Bag
            Nikon Laser 500G Rangefinder

Comment

Originally posted by crunch27 View Post
              highlight was the last NASCAR race at The Rock (Rockingham). What a great track.
              Agreed, I did that back in 1993. My first "live" NASCAR experience . It was WILD!
              Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

If you're driving for a weekend, then from a time spent in car point of view I think NC is the better option since it's closer. You should look at flying out of Niagara Falls NY (Spirit or Air Allegiant)

Comment

Im 22 years old and trying to have a budget lol.... we were thinking like a Thursday-Monday kinda weekend.. the drive should be manageable.

Comment

That all sounds awesome... Ill definitely check out those courses. Not a huge NASCAR fan, but the 4 rounds of golf and then see the Leafs play would be unreal... and of course the pints.

Any recommendations for accommodations?

Comment

Originally posted by brady93 View Post
                      Im 22 years old and trying to have a budget lol.... we were thinking like a Thursday-Monday kinda weekend.. the drive should be manageable.
                      You always HAVE a budget, you just don't always stick to it

Take the first day and drive to Winston Salem. It's 10 hours and you are there.

Golf at Tanglewood Park, Tot Hill Farm, Oak Hollow (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) in whatever order you want.

10 hours home Monday.

Courses are really good and really cheap.

If you want extra courses to play in the area also try Oak Valley and Meadowlands.

Again, all these courses are cheap but comparable if not better in many instances to a $100 course here in the GTA.

Comment

Originally posted by AverageJoe View Post
                        You always HAVE a budget, you just don't always stick to it

Take the first day and drive to Winston Salem. It's 10 hours and you are there.

Golf at Tanglewood Park, Tot Hill Farm, Oak Hollow (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) in whatever order you want.

10 hours home Monday.

Courses are really good and really cheap.

If you want extra courses to play in the area also try Oak Valley and Meadowlands.

Again, all these courses are cheap but comparable if not better in many instances to a $100 course here in the GTA.
                        You've peaked my interest and I was just thinking of shooting south for a quick trip to tide me over until spring. I'd fly into Charlotte (I can get direct points flights there for cheap) and then rent a car to drive. Where would you recommend staying? In Winston/Salem?

Tx
                        What's in the Sunmountain 4.5?

10.5 M2 with Speeder 77 Stiff 3 wood shaft
                        TM Rescue 17*
                        TM M2 4-AW
                        TM RAC 52/56 CG15 60
                        Odyssey 2 Ball with Superstroke Fatso

Comment

Originally posted by ace in the hazard View Post
                          Where would you recommend staying? In Winston/Salem?

Tx
                          Hey Ace,

If flying into Charlotte, you have other options in terms of areas (i.e. Pinehurst) but there are also other courses along the way to and from your eventual destination. Actually, you can do a loop coming up from Pinehurst to Raleigh then across to Winston Salem and back to Charlotte and that offers a crazy amount of really good golf courses to choose from. It all depends on how much driving you do and don't want to do.

But if you are going to Winston Salem, I'd stay around Hanes Mall which is 10 minutes from Tanglewood Park and Oak Valley. I always stay in the Fairfield Inn or Springhill Suites which are both very good and usually never more than $100 p/n (I collect Marriot rewards too ). It's a good area, with a good mall, lots of places to eat and easy access to the highway.

You will need to drive a little bit to some of the other courses (mostly within 20-25 minutes other than Tot Hill which is about 45) and the value cannot be beat.

Comment

Toronto - Raleigh is on average about 12 hours, I've done it in 11with good weather and avoiding traffic in the DC area.

with two young guys sharing the driving ( and napping) you can leave Wed night ( just plan so you avoid the DC area morning rush) and get there to play golf Thursday morning and probably get 36 in if not too tired. another 36 Friday, 18 before you go to game 18 Sunday and be home late Sunday night. 6 rounds.

In March the weather will be good enough to play most places on the way down and there are lots of good courses that you could play. I would recommend stopping in the Kingsmill Virginia area on your way ( about 9.5/10 hrs)

March can be busier in the Carolinas so you might want to book in advance also motels that along the 95 can be busy.

Enjoy !
                            "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

That all sounds awesome... Ill definitely check out those courses. Not a huge NASCAR fan, but the 4 rounds of golf and then see the Leafs play would be unreal... and of course the pints.

Any recommendations for accommodations?
                              Check with the girls at Tobacco Road Golf and Travel and they could put a package together for you. Or the folks over at Talamore Resort.
                              Ping G425 Max 9* Driver, Tour 65-S
                              Ping G425 SFT 15* 3 Wood, Tour 75-S
                              Ping G425 SFT 19* 5 Wood, Tour 75-S
                              Ping G425 Max 23.5* 9 Wood, Tour 75-S
                              Ping G425 Max 26* 5 Hybrid, Tour 85-S
                              Ping S56 Irons, 6 to 9, PW, Aldila VS 85-S
                              Ping Tour S, 52/12*, 58/10*,Aldila VS 85-S
                              Ping Chip-R, Ping Z115-S (new)
                              Ping 35" Tomcat 14 Putter (new)
                              Ping "Latitude" Carry Bag
                              Nikon Laser 500G Rangefinder

Comment