Collapse

Stiff vs Regular Iron Shafts

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stiff vs Regular Iron Shafts

Been swinging my driver at around 112-115 mph, and looking to purchase a new set of irons. I have been hitting regular shafted Nike pro combo irons for the last 4-5 seasons with a high ball flight. I am not sure if I should switch to stiff shafted irons, and if that will produce a more of a penetrating ball flight, which is something that I am looking for.

Re: Stiff vs Regular Iron Shafts

From what you indicate it does sound like you could move to stiff. The ball flight and swing speed would say ya, however it does also depend on your tempo, transition and release.

Do you feel that you are over spinning and ballooning shots , losing distance ?

Perhaps hit a good sim and compare your clubs with those of the same shaft model in a similar desiign head but in stiff flex.
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
      From what you indicate it does sound like you could move to stiff. The ball flight and swing speed would say ya, however it does also depend on your tempo, transition and release.

Do you feel that you are over spinning and ballooning shots , losing distance ?

Perhaps hit a good sim and compare your clubs with those of the same shaft model in a similar desiign head but in stiff flex.
      My distance is fine, right where I like to be, hitting a regular 7 iron about 178, but with a higher than normal (or higher than I would like) ball flight. I have hit some "performance" irons in sims and results vary, but the tendancy does seem to lower the ball flight a bit.

Comment

With that kinda speed u could hit X stuff even. But as said before it's all preference so long as your performance is good.

Go get fit

Comment

Originally posted by cwchamp12 View Post
          My distance is fine, right where I like to be, hitting a regular 7 iron about 178, but with a higher than normal (or higher than I would like) ball flight.
          This is a problem I would love to have. From what I understand it's much easier for someone who hits it high to bring it down than it is for someone who hits it low to hit it higher. If you go to TrueTemper.com hey have a shaft fitter tool. That's a decent place to start, as it gives you a good idea of what the differences between their various lines are. The Shaft Fit tool is pretty helpful, even if you want to go with a competitor.
          Titleist 915D2 10.5*
          Yonex E-Zone XP 18*
          Titleist 915H 21*
          Titleist AP1 714 4-6
          Titleist AP2 714 7-PW
          Vokey 50* 56* 62*
          Scotty Cameron A.O.P. Newport
          Bridgestone E6

Comment

The easy answer is to get fit and there is a lot of great places to get it done. Just search this board. I used to hit a really high ball, but I noticed as I got better and my hands got out in front of the ball more and I got more shaft lean at impact, my ball flight came down significantly.

Comment

You most certainly should be moving up to stiff as a minimum. Even if you are smooth an R flex is simply too soft for you.
              As you are considering a new set please take a look at what a custom built set of irons built to the True Length Technology math model will do for your game. This way not only will the flex be right but so will the length and lie.

Please take a look at my site for more information.

Been swinging my driver at around 112-115 mph, and looking to purchase a new set of irons. I have been hitting regular shafted Nike pro combo irons for the last 4-5 seasons with a high ball flight. I am not sure if I should switch to stiff shafted irons, and if that will produce a more of a penetrating ball flight, which is something that I am looking for.
              Regards
              Dan

True Length Technology TM
              Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
              True Frequency Technology TM
              - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
              - Master
              Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
              - Advanced / Professional
              Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
              - Class 'A'

Comment

Another member at 115 swing speed lol

Something doesn't add up if your playing reg flex with a 115 swing speed your certainly not getting 178 out of a 7 iron your spin would be insane you'd probally hit your 7 more like 150 moon balls

Comment

those 2011 irons were highly rated!
                  switch out the shaft in the 7 iron to a Rifle 6.0 or 6.5.
                  If that takes the ball flight down, think about doing the whole set.
                  Cheaper than buying a new set of irons.
                  things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by Geeve1008 View Post

Something doesn't add up if your playing reg flex with a 115 swing speed your certainly not getting 178 out of a 7 iron your spin would be insane you'd probally hit your 7 more like 150 moon balls
                    not necessarily.......several years ago I was playing golf with my wife and borrowed one of her clubs on a par 3. Ram Laser LX with ladies flex shafts. at the time my driver swing speed averaged around 115mph. I hit a perfect shot , after that tried her irons for a round and shot my low round of the year , a 77 or something. I ended up using those irons ( when she wasn't playing along )for over a year.

yes I hit the ball high, but I hit the ball higher than most people anyways. I don't recall any significant issues other than with the greater offset and the skinnier grips if I wasn't careful and swung aggressively I would hit a bit of a draw.

@OP if you find that you want to lower your trajectory, try a stiffer tip shaft. There will be a feel difference as well. alternatively you can alter the ball position in your stance, move it back a bit. I often will manipulate ball position to change flight. back in stance low draw, up in stance high cut
                    Last edited by Weirfan; Feb 17, 2017, 03:11 PM.
                    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Your swing speed, if correct would move you into x flex. That being said not all flex ratings are the same. What a lot of people don't look at is shaft weight, and this is a big dictator of how a shaft feel compared to its flex. Ex: kbs tour 90 shaft in x vs kbs tour in X. These are totally different animals with the same company. My suggestion to you, is to look for a weight you are comfortable with, and helps keep your swing tempo in check, as well as deliver the correct flight you are looking for. Then look into flex in that particular shaft company.

Comment

not necessarily.......several years ago I was playing golf with my wife and borrowed one of her clubs on a par 3. Ram Laser LX with ladies flex shafts. at the time my driver swing speed averaged around 115mph. I hit a perfect shot , after that tried her irons for a round and shot my low round of the year , a 77 or something. I ended up using those irons ( when she wasn't playing along )for over a year.
                        Sorry for late comment, i just noticed your post.
                        Boy, that is one interesting experiment you describe.
                        A little bit like what Mark and his friend Steve found (and the senior shaft also produced a slight draw for them):
                        Shaft Flex Makes No Difference Or Does It Part 3
                        Get Mark's iPad App http://itunes.apple.com/app/id542855061Get Mark's iPhone App http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/golf/id456035227Get Mark's Android App https...
                        Last edited by veryold; Feb 25, 2017, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Geeve1008 View Post

LOL
                          Agree....unless the reg is a PX 5.0....with 112-115 mph.....moon balls.
                          112-115 is a very fast SS.

Must be a WRX member.

Comment

yes I hit the ball high, but I hit the ball higher than most people anyways. I don't recall any significant issues other than with the greater offset and the skinnier grips if I wasn't careful and swung aggressively I would hit a bit of a draw.

@OP if you find that you want to lower your trajectory, try a stiffer tip shaft. There will be a feel difference as well. alternatively you can alter the ball position in your stance, move it back a bit. I often will manipulate ball position to change flight. back in stance low draw, up in stance high cut
                            I too have experimented with the shorter club, more flex. You know I also hit the ball pretty darn straight. I am sure some distance was lost, however the feeling in the swing was great. I think overall having a club so short and with more flex slowed my tempo down and allowed the shaft not to flex to the point of closing the club face too much at impact.. I used to play with somebody (very good golfer) who used a regular shaft in his driver and loved it. He just aimed down the right side and hit a booming draw
                            M1 430 9.5 Speeder 661 X
                            M1 3 H/L Speeder 757 X
                            Mizuno MP-4 3-PW
                            Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60
                            TA Tru-Milled 303SS

Comment

Some good stuff here guys.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
                              X