Collapse

Tiger Has another Back Surgery

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiger Has another Back Surgery

Tiger Woods announced today that he has undergone successful back surgery to alleviate ongoing pain in his back and leg. The operation was performed by Dr. Richard Guyer of the Center for Disc Replacement at the Texas Back Institute. “The surgery went well, and I’m optimistic this will relieve my back spasms and pain,” Woods …

Re: Tiger Has another Back Surgery

wonder if it included a Forkectomy
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

"Woods will now rest for several weeks, then begin therapy and treatment. While each procedure and case is unique, patients typically return to full activity in about six months."

Kinda makes the 2017 majors long shots at best, though I don't think anyone was kidding themselves about him being a contender in those, anyway.

At some point one of these announcements is going to be a retirement announcement. I don't imagine Tiger has his sights set on the Champions Tour, and his days as a serious contender on the PGA Tour are behind him -- I don't know that this guy, who used to talk about how he was there to win every time, can adjust to just going out to be a mid-packer, and a shadow of his former self.

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
        wonder if it included a Forkectomy

Now fused from L5-S1. I wonder how that will limit his swing if he ever golfs again? Also, it is going to put strain on his remaining L joints.
        Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Comment

Originally posted by xrox View Post

Now fused from L5-S1. I wonder how that will limit his swing if he ever golfs again? Also, it is going to put strain on his remaining L joints.
          exactly, good luck to him.

Comment

Get well soon
            But dont hurry back

Comment

He's gonna have more back surgeries than majors! in a way, his dream of becoming the battle-worn athlete as hank haney talked about is coming to fruition

Comment

Last week Notah said he might be okay for the US Open.

A month ago Steiny told us the rumours were all false and he'll probably play The Masters.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop!
                "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by xrox View Post

The problem with any spinal fusion is that the body will try and get the lost range of motion from the segments above and bellow...Well L5-S1 is the last disc anyways so he can't get it from below (other then adding pressure on the sacroiliac joint and potentially on the hip joint as well) so he'd have to get it from the segments above...but he already has had surgery at another segment. So yeah, outlook isn't very good right now. But hey, I hope he comes back, he's still very good for TV ratings when he's on the course

Comment

I had the same fusion done a few years ago now, at a much more advanced age than Tiger is right now. Speaking totally personally, I've lost about 10-15% of my range of motion as well as 20% of my old yardage distance, but I have had absolutely zero pain or stress in that area since the surgery. With his natural athleticism and being in such good physical condition (not in my case), he could be back to full swings in 6 months. Only time will tell.
                    U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

Originally posted by Pimento Cheese View Post
                      "...patients typically return to full activity in about six months."
                      Six months. That's late October. So, his next major would be the 2018 Masters. Assuming that Tiger does NOT win that one, his next major would be the 2018 U.S. Open, and that would be an even 10 years since his last major win.

He's done.

Aside from Tiger, does Mickelson lead active players with 5 majors?

After that, I guess it's Rory (4), and Els (except he's done, too).

Even though Tiger's 14 is still short of Nicklaus' 18, I don't see any of the current generation coming close to Tiger's total.

Comment

Originally posted by goshawk View Post
                        I had the same fusion done a few years ago now, at a much more advanced age than Tiger is right now. Speaking totally personally, I've lost about 10-15% of my range of motion as well as 20% of my old yardage distance, but I have had absolutely zero pain or stress in that area since the surgery. With his natural athleticism and being in such good physical condition (not in my case), he could be back to full swings in 6 months. Only time will tell.
                        I'm fused from T1-T12 (half my spine). Lucky for me my L and C joints aren't fused yet as they control the majority of motion.
                        Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Comment

The next jacket he's going to slip on will be a CBS blazer... I suspect some tower work, more course design, TGR foundation work, and playing the odd event.
                          Bag: PING Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Floral
                          Driver: TM SIM2 MAX @ 10.5*
                          Wood: TM SIM2 MAX @ 15*
                          Hybrids: TM SIM2 22*
                          Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW
                          Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60*
                          Putter: SGC WB Northwood
                          Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Comment

Since Tiger’s last major victory (U.S. Open 2008), there have been 36 majors completed.

McIlroy - 4
                            Mickelson -2
                            Harrington - 2
                            Spieth - 2
                            Watson - 2
                            Kaymer - 2

The other 22 were one and done victors.

In the past 9 years Tiger has as many majors as, Willett, Y.E. Yang, Cink, Clarke, Glover, Bradley, Dufner, Simpson, and Garcia!

2018 is his last year of exemption for the U.S. Open.

I am not a Tiger lover, but I hope his focus is on health and his future, and not on golf. I don't wish anyone back pain.

Comment

I find it amazing how he still makes headlines.
                              His career is finished and has been for a couple yrs.
                              It is a sad way to end but time to move on people.
                              Lots of young solid players to watch now.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X