What my TLT set looks like...

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What my TLT set looks like...

Originally posted by ndrpar View Post
    Played my first TLT round today at Lowville, blue tees. I managed an 87. About 7 more than I should normally shoot there. I was a little concerned about hearing some of the first few inflated rounds with the new set-up. My swing was a bit off today. Too much technical crap bouncing around between the ears. I was too controlling with the swing.

Afterwards, I played another 7 on the front nine all by my lonesome before nightfall. Swing was back by just letting it go and trusting the longer irons. Kept dropping extra balls in the fairway to get an honest feel and was really grooving it.

The biggest challenge today was getting my 54/58° distances dialled in. I think another couple of rounds will do me well. So overall I’m pleased with my first TLT round. I will be using my 4i much more in the future. Thanks again Dan for your expertise. Will try and get out again this week.
    good news,season isn't over yet

Comment

OK, finally got a chance to take a picture and upload my irons that Dan retro fitted.

I managed to get to the range last week and all I can say is that I'm pleased with Dan's work. I pretty much experienced everything that Jason, ndrpar and jburns have gone through. I really don't have much to add until I get out on the course under playing conditions. Sadly that won't happen until next year for me.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Pinckr865; Oct 24, 2016, 06:41 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Pinckr865 View Post
        OK, finally got a chance to take a picture and upload my irons that Dan retro fitted.

I managed to get to the range last week and all I can say is that I'm pleased with Dan's work. I pretty much experienced everything that Jason, ndrpar and jburns have gone through. I really don't have much to add until I get out on the course under playing conditions. Sadly that won't happen until next year for me.
        you didn't have the lob done?

you've also raised an interesting point aboutoff or late seasonfitting.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the ball flight from mats can be night and day compared to playing off turf.
        or if done off hard range turf, while hampered by an extra layer of clothing, and cold weather range balls, is another less than ideal condition.

disclaimer- I'm buying clubs on-line, knowing I will have to wait till next year.to test them.
        things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Dans TLT fitting Doesn't really take into account ballflight spin etc. Dan just asks you a bunch of questions and can fit you accordingly.

I'm not sure how it would be if I went to dan for a new set of clubs as finding the right shaft and head I'd wanna hit some balls. But the concept of TLT is too give you a repeatable swing.

Me personally I feel like TLT should be going hand in hand with another fitting.

However dan brings up a good point. LM fittings are pointless as most of us don't have a repeatable swing. We can get fit three different times and get three different results. I know it's happened to me. However I ended up on my current clubs because it was one of the shafts that popped up most often. Heads varied depending on the day.

Dans TLT is about giving you that repeatable swing. If you told dan your ballflight was absurdly low or super high he would recommended new shafts possibly. But for my retro fits he asked questions and basically said "unless you don't like something about your shafts keep em they should fit you well"
          That was based on watching my swing, watching my load, etc. I told him I love my ctapers when I'm swinging well the ball flies off the face and they feel awesome. When I'm not compressing the ball they feel like junk. Some days I have it others I don't. His response was something alone the lines "the shaft is fine but a tLT retro fit will make it that much more consistant to have those good days with all clubs".

And I agree 100% with him.

Comment

So I got out yesterday to play 36holes at Cardinal East with (ndrpar- Thanks again for the invite). We both had a great time and loved our TLT sets. I won't speak for him as I'm sure he'll do his own review. But our consensus was it would be pretty impossible to go back.

My Review:
            This was my second time using the clubs since the retrofit. First time was at a range and this was on course. Ndrpar gave me a heads up saying it can take some time to get used to it (which I will agree. There were some fat 8/9i due to the added length) but very few. The consistency of setup was great. I was flushing all of my clubs much much better. I had one repeatable swing.

With a traditional set I'd have days where I just couldn't hit long clubs to save my life. Or I could hit my long irons but my short irons would get super steep and innacurate.

Today I hit them all equally good or bad (bad is due to swing flaws) the TLT build won't mask swing flaws but makes them much easier to sort out as you have one consistant swing really. By our second round I was hitting my irons great (with the exception of fatigue setting in) distance was hard to judge as it was a whopping 6-7C and I was using garbage balls.

Short game. (Ask ndrpar how it went ). Let me preface this by saying my short game is typically my weakness. Getting up and down and close to the hole is not easy for me. With my TLT wedges I was getting close every time. Was much easier to put a smooth swing on the club. Yes there were times I went back to my old ways so the added length messed me up causing me to skull or duff (maybe 4-5x over 36holes) but I had quite a few within 5ft and a handful that were within 1ft.
            I had only 1 bunker shot all round so I can't comment there other then I probably almost killed Greg (ndrpar) as it was on the par 5 hole 1 on our 19th hole. It's a blind bunker. Opened face for a sandblast... hit lotsa clay so club skipped and I made solid contact on pure ball lol.over the green. (Still saved a bogey!) nearly chipped in after that.

I'm pretty sure by next season I won't be able to swing a standard set of clubs ever again. Going forward all sets will either be TLT or SL clubs.

We were loving our 4is too.

If anyone is considering doing it I strongly recommend. If you have any questions post here or PM me.

****Big Edit/ Forgot to Mention***
            Due to a workplace injury I suffered 2 years ago my back can fatigue very easily. Usually by 18 it's getting tired and the swing falls apart. I've only ever played 36holes in one day twice before. Both times were with a break in between. Both times by the 27th hole I was jellow and my swing long gone.

My swing was getting better (fatigue was setting in but not my back just General muscle/mental fatigue). My back felt ready for another 18.

And today I feel great and ready for another 36.
            Last edited by Jasonp; Oct 29, 2016, 08:47 AM.

Comment

It always seems to be the wedges that cause the most grief at first but provide the biggest gains once you become use to them. This is the case for taller players for sure.

Many of the above players are now playing longer irons than what they were in the past and will require the biggest alteration to their address. Once a number if rounds have passed the taller address begins to feel so correct that they begin to question how they ever played wedges before TLT.

A consistent address is key to playing your best golf ever.
              Regards
              Dan

True Length Technology TM
              Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
              True Frequency Technology TM
              - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
              - Master
              Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
              - Advanced / Professional
              Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
              - Class 'A'

Comment

Played my 4th and 5th rounds with my TLT set today at Lowville (blue tees). First round I shot a personal best 76. Second round of the day I played the first 12 of 18 by myself in lightning fashion, literally sprinting from cart to greens and vice-versa just to get the round in. Shot a 82 with the last 6 holes played with a group from the gold tees (3 over from golds). Extremely exhausted and quite windswept. For some strange reason I carried instead of carted the first round.

At one point my playing partner forgot his pitching wedge and asked to use mine on a 100 yd shot. He hit a great shot. A minute later I asked if he noticed anything different. He said the club felt heavier. And I said, longer also, but really not heavier, just feels that way. Then I had to confess I was playing a new set-up. He was intrigued.

I still have to remind myself to stand taller when I grab an 8 down to wedge. Liking the direction my game is heading. Wish I could have done this 30yrs ago when I was in my 20s.
                Last edited by ndrpar; Oct 29, 2016, 09:50 PM.

Comment

I was chatting with Dan last week about another new build for a 2nd bag I'm setting up.
                  I found an almost new set on the cheap of combo Mizuno MP-5 ( PW-7) / MP-25 ( 6-3).
                  I have 3 new Nike forged wedges to go with the Mizunos, and I will also try a matching steel shaft for my Hybrid.

My current TLT build are MP-53 with KBS Tour V 125.
                  They are quite stiff, which I am perfectly fine with, and I've been playing my best golf with them this season.

However, that set's static weight might be just a bit much.
                  My MP-5/25 set currently have X100 and they feel a bit lighter overall.
                  I will be chatting with Dan about shaft options this week.
                  I need a lower launching shaft, and am fine swinging X100, C-Tapers, PX.

Lets talk about fitting:

So I am essentially self fitting ? Is this bad ???
                  I'm a gear-aholic and have hit a plenty of irons here & there.
                  I found iron heads I like, and have a couple shafts in mind based on previous experience with them.
                  But I will not go through any Launch Monitor exercises in my decision making. Is this bad ???
                  I am not about optimal length. I am about optimal repeatability for whatever swing I can out on that club.
                  I have a good idea on the heads' launch properties, and same with the shaft, so I'm mixing & matching based on my hopeful guess of the end result.
                  Of course, what happens if my ball flight is too high or too low for my liking ? That is a risk I take, but can be rectified with a bit more $$$.

My instructor has MP-5 as his own set and a full Mizuno fitting cart with the latest heads & shafts at my disposal, along with a Foresight GC2 in the practice bay. Ya, some of the new irons are 5+ yards longer, but I really don't care. I am brand-biased to Mizuno irons, but also like irons from the other manufacturers too ( Cobra CB/MB, Nike VPC, Titleist 716 CB, Ping iBlade )

~Andy
                  Last edited by ARL67; Oct 30, 2016, 10:02 AM.
                  🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
                  Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
                  Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
                  Titleist TSR1 20* & 26* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
                  Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
                  Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
                  Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

Originally posted by ARL67 View Post
                    I was chatting with Dan last week about another new build for a 2nd bag I'm setting up.
                    I found an almost new set on the cheap of combo Mizuno MP-5 ( PW-7) / MP-25 ( 6-3).
                    I have 3 new Nike forged wedges to go with the Mizunos, and I will also try a matching steel shaft for my Hybrid.

They are quite stiff, which I am perfectly fine with, and I've been playing my best golf with them this season.

Lets talk about fitting:

I found iron heads I like, and have a couple shafts in mind based on previous experience with them.
                    But I will not go through any Launch Monitor exercises in my decision making. Is this bad ???
                    I am not about optimal length. I am about optimal repeatability for whatever swing I can out on that club.
                    I have a good idea on the heads' launch properties, and same with the shaft, so I'm mixing & matching based on my hopeful guess of the end result.
                    Of course, what happens if my ball flight is too high or too low for my liking ? That is a risk I take, but can be rectified with a bit more $$$.

My instructor has MP-5 as his own set and a full Mizuno fitting cart with the latest heads & shafts at my disposal, along with a Foresight GC2 in the practice bay. Ya, some of the new irons are 5+ yards longer, but I really don't care. I am brand-biased to Mizuno irons, but also like irons from the other manufacturers too ( Cobra CB/MB, Nike VPC, Titleist 716 CB, Ping iBlade )

~Andy
                    I don't think the "self fitting" is a bad idea since you have a good grasp on what you're looking for. You know how the brand and different lines of heads work and what the shafts are about so that... plus getting everything into the right spot... should make it work well.

I think a big part of anything in golf is liking what you're looking down at which leads to self fitting at times. I think you're second bag will work out great.
                    Bag: PING Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Floral
                    Driver: TM SIM2 MAX @ 10.5*
                    Wood: TM SIM2 MAX @ 15*
                    Hybrids: TM SIM2 22*
                    Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW
                    Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60*
                    Putter: SGC WB Northwood
                    Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Comment

Originally posted by ARL67 View Post

Lets talk about fitting:

~Andy
                      Andy, nice talking with you and I very much look forward to building your uber set for you.

Self fitting - what I gather you are describing is 'liking' the head so it is pleasing to your eye, and to be honest - you have tested a good number of shafts which will be beneficial as we work our way through all the scenario's. There are attributes we will be looking for in picking the shaft - to get it to perform as required. I know we talked about the ACCRA tour i110 shaft - keeping total weight up near steel, but allowing the graphite to help with some elbow issues. I like the idea of going quality graphite and I have had great success with this shaft.

As far as self fitting for length and lie - just to be clear to those that have been following. Andy and I have already gone through the length lie fitting in my shop last year and determined the correct TLT Series, so the math model will remain the same - as Andy has stated to me that his fit seems to be bang on in this area. We may go with a small reduced length (and it's appropriate lie) in order to make the longest iron or 2 just that little bit more friendly.

I look forward to this build and hope to see others gain their confidence in their understanding of what a TLT fitting will do for your game. I continue to get nothing but positive reviews. The system is sound and can basically be applied to pretty much any set, whether it be a retrofit or a complete new build. The same science applies.
                      Regards
                      Dan

True Length Technology TM
                      Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
                      True Frequency Technology TM
                      - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
                      - Master
                      Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
                      - Advanced / Professional
                      Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
                      - Class 'A'

Comment

Dan, looking at your build chart on my current set, the length from 4i-LW is 2.2".
                        When we last spoke, we also talked about shortening the length progression, so my 4i is a bit shorter and easier to hit.
                        I'm happy with my 5i ( 180-185yd club ).

FYI:
                        4i = 38.55" length
                        5i = 38.15"

Rather than shortening the 4i ( say 0.2" ) and the rest of the set accordingly to your math-model, another option I am thinking about is ditching the 4i as it is such a rarely used club . We could increase the 5i length ( 0.2" ? ) and build the set down from that starting length, giving 2.0" of total length variance from 5i-LW

My current KBS Tour V 125 are certainly heavier and stouter.
                        I do believe with the Accra Tour 110i shafts that I will gain some length due to lower weight and won't sacrifice being able to hit a 5i 180-185. After such a build, I'll probably hit my 5i 190+/- , considering the lower weight and 0.2" added length. Also the MP-5 ( PW-7i ) are a bit higher launching head, and then the MP-25 (6i-5i ) are mildly hotter too.

The above is just thinking out loud to share my build thoughts, and thinning out the bag with a possible un-needed club (4i).
                        I will have to re-learn my yardages with this new set, but that happens during any big change.

Though my bigger risk is that lengthening my 5i may cause more harm than good in terms of reliability.
                        But than my slightly longer new 6i will be near my former 5i ..... Oh how do I sleep at night with such things churning away in the ole' noggin' ?!?!?!

Dan, I'll have the give the above some thought and will dialogue with you via phone.

~ Andy
                        🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
                        Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
                        Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
                        Titleist TSR1 20* & 26* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
                        Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
                        Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
                        Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

My 4i went from 38.5" to 38.1" and I think 2* flatter and it's now one of my favourite clubs.

Comment

These are the things I miss being out east. Options like true length, modern golf etc.
                            Got a question if you have the chance Dan.
                            I have for last few years had right forearm weakness that comes & goes during golf season so that combined with left shoulder surgery this past March convinced me to try graphite.

I bought a set of Tm rsi 2 irons in graphite regular flex at gt std length lofts etc.
                            I've made the transition from steel ok. Is it as accurate? I would say close enough.
                            I've had zero pain in forearm since.

I've shot well in low 80's and occasional breaking 80.
                            I am a picker and I also find I need to bend over a bit too much. Went to gt and explained & since I bought them there they suggested checking me out. Based on fact I pick the ball a bit and couldn't get over the irons like I like they offered to extend 2/3rds of an inch.

They said based on my swing plus being 6'1" and hand to floor of 36".

They didn't adjust lie yet said play a round first & I might need 2 up.

I played yesterday and at first I liked that I usually draw & the short irons actually faded....

And then... I hit the middle & longer irons... And I was missing greens by 15 yards to the right.
                            I'm used to aiming right side of green & drawing... I had to aim left side of green and was still missing. Would the 2 degrees he mentioned more upright fix this? Or did I mess with irons that I had overall liked.
                            They also had a 'weak' feel at impact yesterday almost like they weren't solid and flew a bit weak & high.

Odd thing that I hit a few off the lie board before I left & it showed impact a bit towards the heel which unless I'm wrong would normally indicate a flatter lie needed. But for sure that would be worse.

Any thoughts? I'm in Halifax wish I had more equipment fitters etc.
                            I've now spent $130 installing new grips so I'm hoping that I don't need to pull the inserts and can make these clubs work but I didn't think a 2/3rds of an inch would change these so much. Very confused & a bit frustrated.
                            PING CAMO BAG...
                            WEAPONS...
                            SRIXON ZX5 10.5
                            3W TM M2
                            HYB 19 deg Callaway Epic
                            5-aw Callaway Epic Forged

SW TM Milled Grind 56
                            LW TM MILLED GRIND 60

PUTTER Rotation TM Spider Tour, Scotty np2 ,
                            3 ball Fang, RIFE TOUR

Comment

I'm pretty sure dan can fit you remotely and then send you the specs you need. The question is are you capable of doing yourself if not finding a reputable builder near u (likely not GT)

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
                                I'm pretty sure dan can fit you remotely and then send you the specs you need. The question is are you capable of doing yourself if not finding a reputable builder near u (likely not GT)
                                Yeah I am not comfortable doing myself. Moreso trying to figure out what to do with my existing set for now?
                                PING CAMO BAG...
                                WEAPONS...
                                SRIXON ZX5 10.5
                                3W TM M2
                                HYB 19 deg Callaway Epic
                                5-aw Callaway Epic Forged

SW TM Milled Grind 56
                                LW TM MILLED GRIND 60

PUTTER Rotation TM Spider Tour, Scotty np2 ,
                                3 ball Fang, RIFE TOUR

Comment

Collapse