No announcement yet.
Collapse

What is the worst golf course in GTA?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is the worst golf course in GTA?

Originally posted by Jayhawker View Post
    If this wasn't sarcasm there has to be a fun story behind it.
    You've been golfing with Mark too much it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by Fore Warned View Post
      Strange about Annandale. Has one of the worst reputations going, but it is always very busy.

But the conditions seem to be irrelevant, I think no one goes there because it is too crowded.
      Sounds like Yogi Berra.

Comment

How about Winchester. So many holes where you feel like you are about to get hit from an adjoining hole.
        Pxg Gen 4. Project X hzrdus

Srixon 3 Hybrid

Srixon 4 Hybrid

Mizuno Mp H4 4-PW

Mizuno S18 Gap Wedge 51

Mizuno S 22 56 wedge

Odyssey Ten Tour Lined Broomstick

Comment

Strange about Annandale. Has one of the worst reputations going, but it is always very busy.

But the conditions seem to be irrelevant, I think no one goes there because it is too crowded.
          the price and location has alot to do with it imo.

Comment

Originally posted by soccerguy1961 View Post
            How about Winchester. So many holes where you feel like you are about to get hit from an adjoining hole.
            Wear a hockey helmet if you venture there.

I would nominate Ayren Links on Taunton as junk as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Jayhawker View Post
              Curious if Cresthaven is still a course? If so it seems odd Castlemore is the only course in the poll that no longer exists. Also curious how Parkshore didn't make it onto the poll.
              Cresthaven still open and actually in good condition this year. Unfortunately it gets very little play. Have yet to see it crowded in the past couple of seasons.

It really should not be included in this list. It is a Par 3 and does not market itself as anything more than what it is. A short, walkable, quick to play course for beginners, kids or those practicing their short game.

Comment

Originally posted by Smittyman View Post
                +1. Played it last year for about $25 from UnderPar, and wished I could get a refund.

FWIW, I don't think Richmond Hill belongs on this list. I know the place doesn't get much love around here but it is not comparable to a place like Ananadale or Streetsville. RH is always well maintained, it's just over priced for the level of challenge it presents. If it was priced more like Glen Cedars or Don Valley there would be a lot fewer negative comments.
                Agree that Richmond Hill is generally in good condition. And in a great location for quick, easy access.

It is however highly priced and probably too 'tight' for many and too 'short' for others.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
                  Agree that Richmond Hill is generally in good condition. And in a great location for quick, easy access.

It is however highly priced and probably too 'tight' for many and too 'short' for others.
                  I think any course u dont enjoy

Comment

How is Bushwood not on this? I would put that and Maples of Ballantrae in the same boat
                    In the Bag

Driver: Epic Flash Sub Zero - Accra FX-260
                    Fairway Wood: Cobra F8 - Tensei CK Orange
                    Hybrid:Mizuno JPX 900 - Accra FX-200H
                    Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Tours - KBS C-Taper
                    Wedges: Mizuno S7 Blu-ion - 49*, 53.5*, 59* - DG Spinner
                    Putter:Bobby Grace Smart Fit F18
                    Ball: Bx or Z-Star XV
                    --------
                    Home Course - Clublink

Comment

• Re: What is the worst golf course in GTA?

I agree with the approach taken by Top Gear when they tried to determine the worst cars ever made.

The did not include those cars that were admittedly cheap and without pretense. Instead they focused on cars made by respected manufacturers, and that had pretensions of being good vehicles and missed the mark.

A cow pasture that charges $25 and has no pretensions, should not be ridiculed for being exactly what it presents itself as.

But a badly designed or a badly maintained course or a course that rings out 6 hour rounds and then charges top dollars for the experience should be publicly denounced.

Comment

Originally posted by muskoka111 View Post
                        Total agree
                        Eh? While I might agree that Sidewinder/Copperhead aren't the most inspiring layouts, they are far from the worst golf in the GTA.

Food in the clubhouse is also excellent.
                        10 degree Cobra Fly-Z+ / Matrix White Tie 55X4
                        16 degree Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 / Fujikura Speeder 865
                        20 degree Ping Rapture V2 Hybrid / MR JavlinFX
                        4-AW Nike Vapor Pro Combo / DG Pro

54, 58 degree Ping Glide / CFS
                        Ping Anser Redwood

Srixon ZStar XV

Comment

Granted, this is an old thread and I aint reading all 10 pages, but how does one define "worst golf course in the GTA"? Is it conditioning, layout, facilities? Personal preference surely cannot be in the criteria. Not sure how Lowville and Indian Wells are in the top 10 worst courses.

West of the 427, it's definitely Streetsville Glen and Camilse... and add Deerfield and Tayandaga to the list too. Worst public conditions in the west-GTA.

Worst club house may be Burlington Springs. If the carpet in the locker isn't as old as me, the mould surely is.
                          – Greg

Comment

I played in the RH Men's League this year and got in over 20 rounds. My regular membership is with GolfNow/Underpar and I get around (played over 30 other courses in Ontario last season).

In my humble opinion I can say that even though from the tips it is only 6000 yards it is a challenge. My handicap is 11 (like long walks on the beach and the soothing sounds of Michael Buble) and I can tell you Hole 5, 11, and 18 are tough holes. Also, it is not a driver/wedge course. 18 you have to hit two accurate long irons to have a chance. One of the most interesting finishing holes around. The three par three's on the front are also a challenge and hole 8 is a tough little par 4, as is hole 1.

As mentioned the place is well kept! It is right off the 407 so very accessible and hence the cost of green fees. Lastly, the Men's league is very well run and the staff is class.

No way does RH deserve to be on this list.

Comment

I agree with the approach taken by Top Gear when they tried to determine the worst cars ever made.

The did not include those cars that were admittedly cheap and without pretense. Instead they focused on cars made by respected manufacturers, and that had pretensions of being good vehicles and missed the mark.

A cow pasture that charges $25 and has no pretensions, should not be ridiculed for being exactly what it presents itself as.

But a badly designed or a badly maintained course or a course that rings out 6 hour rounds and then charges top dollars for the experience should be publicly denounced.
                              Very well put. If that is your measure, what courses would you include as the worst in the GTA?

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Very well put. If that is your measure, what courses would you include as the worst in the GTA?
                                Great point Arthur - the idea of a course trying to be something it's not or having the price/pretension that doesn't match its condition, layout, and place in the market.

With those criteria in mind, here are my finalists

1. Lionhead (Masters course specifically, but the entire place generally - over priced, overbooked)
                                2. Dragon's Fire (repetitive and dull layout, slow play, clueless staff that hinder rather than help)
                                3. Piper's Heath (a links/heathland that's way overwatered - decide what you are; it should be firm and fast, not soft and squishy, SLOW SLOW SLOW)

On the opposite end - those courses who match what they are with their price and attitudes
                                1. Osprey (premium course, less than premium location, but priced about right with the golf for golfers' attitude)
                                2. Crosswinds (mid-market course - mid market pricing - maybe a touch high on price, efficient and effective proshop - go in, go out, no waiting, range always included)
                                3. Westview/Glen Cedars - (ok courses with prices to match, after 9am it's slow on the weekend, good conditions except for westview bunkers)
                                4. Hornby Glen - low price, low expectations, but generally the price matches the experience here
                                In the bag:
                                R15 12° PXV 6.0
                                SLDR 15° ATX Blue S
                                Adams Pro 18° ATX, Idea Pro A12 20° NV S
                                Titleist AP2 4-PW Project X 6.0
                                Vokey SM5 54, 58
                                Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard