Collapse

Stack & Tilt and Charlie Wi

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stack & Tilt and Charlie Wi

It was interesting to watch Peter Kostis do his swing analysis of Charlie Wi at The Colonial on the weekend. Charlie Wi is a devout Stack and Tilt disciple and IMO seems to be striking the ball very good. So Kostis talked a lot about spine angles and writs etc and how good a ball striker WI was, but never once mentioned Stack and Tilt.
    Can anyone tell me why the mainstream golf world shun the S &T method so much? I have used part of it in my game, and my contact certainly improved.

Re: Stack & Tilt and Charlie Wi

because it make the rest of them with their weight shift ideas look silly.

Comment

I don't know if it's stack and tilt... but sometimes I pre-load the weight onto my front foot to assist in getting over. I find it helps me get the ball in the air and make better contact if I'm not getting over on time in my regular swing.
      Bag: PING Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Floral
      Driver: TM SIM2 MAX @ 10.5*
      Wood: TM SIM2 MAX @ 15*
      Hybrids: TM SIM2 22*
      Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW
      Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60*
      Putter: SGC WB Northwood
      Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Comment

Originally posted by Kevo View Post
        It was interesting to watch Peter Kostis do his swing analysis of Charlie Wi at The Colonial on the weekend. Charlie Wi is a devout Stack and Tilt disciple and IMO seems to be striking the ball very good. So Kostis talked a lot about spine angles and writs etc and how good a ball striker WI was, but never once mentioned Stack and Tilt.
        Can anyone tell me why the mainstream golf world shun the S &T method so much? I have used part of it in my game, and my contact certainly improved.
        When you used it did you reduce the amount of lateral motion that you had? Very often making a change like that will lead to a 'calmer' swing with fewer moving parts. It may not be so much that S&T is better than other methods it may just have helped you with your main problem. I teach a limited turn swing with a very quiet body in the backswing. That works wonders for many people for the simple reason that it leads to a very quiet swing with fewer moving parts.
        Aim at nothing and you will hit it every time.

Comment

It was interesting to watch Peter Kostis do his swing analysis of Charlie Wi at The Colonial on the weekend.
          If anyone ever sees this posted. Post a link !

Charlie Wi is a devout Stack and Tilt disciple and IMO seems to be striking the ball very good. So Kostis talked a lot about spine angles and wrists etc and how good a ball striker WI was, but never once mentioned Stack and Tilt.
          He sure looks S&T here:

Can anyone tell me why the mainstream golf world shun the S&T method so much? I have used part of it in my game, and my contact certainly improved.
          I think the one thing that really has caught on about the S&T is the idea that you don't need alot of lateral movement on the backswing to create good power.

I've been watching the Foley DVD and it seems like a S&T Lite version. I also have the S&T DVD and I look forward to watching that and comparing !
          Last edited by PingGolfer; May 23, 2011, 04:13 PM.

Comment

C Wi/CBS/Crowne Invitational
            In the final round of the 2011 Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial, we take a closer look at Charlie Wi's swing off the tee on the par-4 7th hole. .SUBSCRI...

Euro Comments on SnT
            Simon Holmes, Robert Lee, and Paul McGinley discuss Charlie Wi, and how he was a new player under the tutelage of Andy Plummer and Mike Bennett

Last edited by nevets88; May 24, 2011, 05:59 AM. Reason: z

Comment

Originally posted by Golftime View Post
              When you used it did you reduce the amount of lateral motion that you had? Very often making a change like that will lead to a 'calmer' swing with fewer moving parts. It may not be so much that S&T is better than other methods it may just have helped you with your main problem. I teach a limited turn swing with a very quiet body in the backswing. That works wonders for many people for the simple reason that it leads to a very quiet swing with fewer moving parts.
              To Golftime / John Caughill
              It certainly stopped me swaying off the ball and then trying to re-center and hitting it fat.
              The semi straightening of the right leg also increased my hip turn and by extension my shoulder turn which result in less moving parts and much more speed into the ball. I used to swing a bit more vertical and this is a bit more flatter. As mentioned my consistency in ball striking has improved

Comment

Originally posted by nevets88 View Post
                C Wi/CBS/Crowne Invitational
                In the final round of the 2011 Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial, we take a closer look at Charlie Wi's swing off the tee on the par-4 7th hole. .SUBSCRI...

Euro Comments on SnT
                Simon Holmes, Robert Lee, and Paul McGinley discuss Charlie Wi, and how he was a new player under the tutelage of Andy Plummer and Mike Bennett

Thanks for the you tube clips...interesting to see the Euro's talk About S & T and the Americans pretend like it doesn't exist

Comment

Thanks for the you tube clips...interesting to see the Euro's talk About S & T and the Americans pretend like it doesn't exist
                  For that matter how many times does Sean Foley mention Sand T in his DVD?

Perhaps its because if you tout S&T in your instruction your students might decide to go to an S&T instructor instead and hear it from the horse's mouth?

A more generous interpretation would be be that S&T, like hundreds of golf ideas before that, all contribute to a better understanding of the golf swing, and you take some concepts from it without committing totally to that method alone. Keeping you weight centred over the ball seems to be the one aspect that has worked its way into most modern golf instruction.

Comment

Not sure why it would matter that he mentions stack and tilt.

Personally, when a couple players left the S&T camp, Charlie made some pretty bold comments about them. At that point I lost a bit of respect for Mr. Wi.

Charlie Wi said Mike Weir made a mistake in leaving the Stack and Tilt teachers.

"The more I know about people, the more I like my dog." - Mark Twain

Comment

What do you mean by part of it?

Comment

Originally posted by dillon1up View Post
                        What do you mean by part of it?
                        SnT can be implemented in pieces, you don't have to do all of it. One of the pieces is called braking I believe, an abrupt stop at the end of the swing.

If you look at the videos of SnT students on YouTube (Dahlquist for example), not all of them do this, but you would say their swing is definitely SnT.

Some people just do weight forward, shoulder down as opposed to weight forward, shoulder down, hands in, straighten arms, tuck hips.
                        Last edited by nevets88; May 25, 2011, 06:10 PM. Reason: z

Comment

Thanks for the post, Samick... I wanted to know what Wi said about Weir.
                          Bag o' Trix

Ping G5 10.5, 15, 18
                          Ping S59 3-9
                          Vokey Oil Cans 50, 56, 60
                          Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 3
                          Titleist Pro V1

Comment

I think Wi did get the short end of the conversation when he proffered his opinion on their defection from the S&T camp.
                            It was a media learning experience for him. I think the banal "I gave 110%" speech is still the best defense for athletes who have a mic shoved in their face by some unknown who hopes to cherry some breaking "news".

Comment

Originally posted by dekker View Post
                              I think Wi did get the short end of the conversation when he proffered his opinion on their defection from the S&T camp.
                              It was a media learning experience for him. I think the banal "I gave 110%" speech is still the best defense for athletes who have a mic shoved in their face by some unknown who hopes to cherry some breaking "news".

I don't agree with this at all. Wi has dealt with, and been around the media long enough to know that whatever he says can and will most likely come back to bite him in the rear. He chose to say what he did, which wasnt very smart. A little common sense and respect for others is all thats needed.

I understand he was trying to stand up for his instructors, but he didnt have to go in that direction.
                              "The more I know about people, the more I like my dog." - Mark Twain

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X