Collapse

best route to drive to Florida

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best route to drive to Florida

Along Interstate-75 is a must buy if you're heading down through Windsor... covers every exit, alternate roads, attactions...
    WITB:
    SIM
    Stealth+
    MMC 4-P
    T4 52
    T22 56
    T22 60
    Spider S

Comment

Originally posted by Bellyhungry View Post
      I did the Toronto to Florida (Naples) drive this past Spring. I went with a couple who make the drive twice a year.

We went through Buffalo-i90-Erie-i79-19-i77-i95. Took us two days and about 22 hours in the car.
      This route shorter but 75 has much more humanity. I can live with a couple more hours driving as long as I have more places to stop along the way. For us it was 22 hours from Missingsauga to Treasure Island, which is west of Tampa. Did this many times.
      Last edited by nomullies; Nov 2, 2012, 08:57 PM.

Comment

The other thing to consider on the Buffalo-Virginia routing is if an accident happens through the mountain passes traffic will be a nightmare. We got stuck two years ago behind an accident. We must have been sitting there for about 3 hours not moving. No exit anywhere nearby. It was brutal.

Comment

Originally posted by goshawk View Post
          I've driven all 3 ways (Windsor, Buffalo and Gananoque) and I enjoyed the trip through Windsor the most. Going straight down I-75 to Tampa was a good drive with little to no construction either time I've been and the mountains were a non-issue. Although I've only done it in the spring, I wouldn't imagine the roads wouldn't be a problem when you go. And there are so many places to stop for food and lodging!
          Last year I made the trip in 18 hours from front door to my daughter's place. Most of it was the first day, driving to Knoxville before stopping for the night. I thought going through the middle of Atlanta early (8:00) on a Tuesday morning would be a nightmare, but it was less congested than 401 traffic and it kept moving at 35mph+. Once I crossed I-20 in downtown Atlanta, it was back to normal highway speed.
          I don't know. I live closer to Windsor, but prefer the Buffalo route. I find the traffic very heavy on I-75 and too many trucks. The drive thru Erie, Pittsburgh, Hwy 19, I-77, Charlotte......is a lot more pleasant and relaxing. Plus, the border at Detroit is always a hassle for some reason. Buffalo is a breeze.
          Ping G425 Max 9* Driver, Tour 65-S
          Ping G425 SFT 15* 3 Wood, Tour 75-S
          Ping G425 SFT 19* 5 Wood, Tour 75-S
          Ping G425 Max 23.5* 9 Wood, Tour 75-S
          Ping G425 Max 26* 5 Hybrid, Tour 85-S
          Ping S56 Irons, 6 to 9, PW, Aldila VS 85-S
          Ping Tour S, 52/12*, 58/10*,Aldila VS 85-S
          Ping Chip-R, Ping Z115-S (new)
          Ping 35" Tomcat 14 Putter (new)
          Ping "Latitude" Carry Bag
          Nikon Laser 500G Rangefinder

Comment

Drove Richmond Hill to Fort Myers last year, on the I-75 route. On the way down, one overnight at Atlanta. On the way back, two overnights, in Atlanta and Toledo. Did it with the wifey, two kids (2 and 4) and a nanny. Actual driving time is around 23 hours, +/-. Left at around midnight, crossed the border at 3:30 am, arrived in Atlanta at around 4 pm local time. The only things to watch out for: traffic jams around Atlanta, construction on I75, and highway patrols in georgia.

Comment

We did the Buffalo route twice, we got snow in the mountains the second year and it made it a tough drive at night and have gone I-75, Windsor, the last 5 times at Christmas.
              I-75 is a better choice if there is any kind of weather, rain, snow.

Also, about 2 years ago there was a big accident and I was able to use the GPS and run paralell to the Interstate for about 50 miles and get out of the traffic jam.

We usually drive straight through, about 21-22 hours to Tarpon Springs, just NW of Tampa.
              "3 bad shots and 1 good one equals PAR"

Comment

The best route involves going to over 35,000 ft.

Comment

IMHO - drive to Buffalo get on a plane - save yourself the stress its a bit more in cash

Comment

wish I could fly because I would - will be there for over 3 months so need my car.
                    Driver: yup..5 of those
                    3 Wood: 'bout 4
                    Hybrid: few..couple of tour issue
                    Irons: Too many but AP2 for now
                    Wedges: Lots
                    Putter: A016836

Comment

I always drive down through Buffalo. Make sure you hit a stretch called US-19 in The Virginias. It's smaller rural highway but a good short cut that saves a lot of time. Many GPSs like Garmins points to the route. One year I missed going on that route and it took a couple extra hours.
                      All LH :

Driver : TM SLDR430 10.5° Fuji Atmos Red
                      4-wood : Tour Edge Lift-Off AnyLie 16.5°
                      3-PW : Nike Victory Red II ProCombo
                      Wedges : Nike VRII 52-degree / 58-degree
                      Putter : Odyssey White Ice #9

Comment

Originally posted by Pengyo View Post
                        I always drive down through Buffalo. Make sure you hit a stretch called US-19 in The Virginias. It's smaller rural highway but a good short cut that saves a lot of time. Many GPSs like Garmins points to the route. One year I missed going on that route and it took a couple extra hours.
                        Just don't speed in that area. You will get busted for even 1 mph over the limit. That stretch of road funds the county big time

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                        X