/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Most over-rated golf course in the Toronto area that you played in 2016.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Most over-rated golf course in the Toronto area that you played in 2016.

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
    Since I consider Ballantrae Golf and Country Club to be my home course, let me defend its honour.

Doug Carrick designed 4 golf courses in relatively the same geographic area and with comparable topography. Lebovic, Angus, Granite and Ballantrae. I have played 3 of these courses, dozens of times and Lebovic 3 times.

In my estimation, Ballantrae is certainly neither the 'worst' or the most 'over rated' of these courses. Each of these courses have their own strengths and weaknesses however in any of the variables listed in our 'best course' rating thread Ballantrae is competitive in each variable listed.

Yes there are some weaknesses but I will leave these for others to discuss.
    Granite is McBroom.

I don't have a problem with Ballantrae. I think it's fair value. Golf in the GTA is expensive. People who want to pay less than $50 to play golf here are going to have to live with the Annandale's and Foxbridge's of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post
      Just my OPINION folks, it was my least favourite (all things considered...price, layout, conditions & of course, how I played!!)
      Was this your first time playing it ?

I ask because it has a habit of kicking people's arse first time out. it was my home course for many ,many years and I have seen many good golfers ( including single digit caps) not break 90 first time out. Even still it can kick my arse, I shot 76 and 92 in back to back days there , day 2 was a huge West wind.

Course looks benign and is for the most part off the tee but unless you know the green complexes and where to land the ball and from what angle for it to stay on the green, you can be left with lots of chipping from run off areas below the green to undulated turtle backed green's. They have made things easier in recent years by making the greens less firm and more receptive.

For me it's one of those courses that I never get bored playing because of the challenge that th wind and green complexes provide
      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
        Was this your first time playing it ?
        Nope, probably played it 10 times over the years

Yes, it's got the better of me most of the time, but I'm not that good anyway! If I'd only played SAV once this year, might have been a different story!
        Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Nope, probably played it 10 times over the years

Yes, it's got the better of me most of the time, but I'm not that good anyway! If I'd only played SAV once this year, might have been a different story!
          SAV has been my home course ( past 3 years) since being at Ballantrae. completely different course, unlike Ballantrae much of the difficulty comes off the tee. If you are up this way, let's play.

I like them both quite a bit
          "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Big fan of St.Andrews Valley. Great test. My only knock on it would be the par 5's.

My choice for "overrated" or overpriced would have to be Angus Glen.

Comment

Originally posted by P25 View Post
              Granite is McBroom.

I don't have a problem with Ballantrae. I think it's fair value. Golf in the GTA is expensive. People who want to pay less than $50 to play golf here are going to have to live with the Annandale's and Foxbridge's of the world.
              Yes, Granite is McBroom. A memory lapse, that I am blaming on the day Was actually there one day when he was on-site. Have a 'love/hate' relationship with his designs. Originally preferred him to Carrick however as I got older and shorter off the tee, have started to resent his penchant for forced carries.

Also agree re: Angus. When it opened it was the first 'high end' public course in the eastern part of the GTA. It's only competition as a 'public course, with private course amenities' at that time in the GTA would have been The Abbey and Lionhead. And neither get 100% acceptance as 'great' courses. Angus gained further acclaim due to the high quality of its customer service under Kevin Thistle. It got further cachet for hosting Canadian Opens.

However if ranking it on the values that have been discussed on another thread, I would also agree that it is over rated.
              Last edited by Arthur Dailey; Jan 1, 2017, 11:23 PM.

Comment

odd that almost every course mentioned is East of Yonge!

Comment

Maybe I missed it but Lebovic at $300 a round.

Comment

odd that almost every course mentioned is East of Yonge!
                    Not odd at all. Everyone knows that once crossed over, you've entered a barren wasteland not unlike a scene from Mad Max. Did you also ever notice that the painted median running down the centre of Yonge St. is completely worn out on the east side while the west side gleams like diamonds? The stripe you can see is ACTUALLY ONLY the western half! East-enders have stripped off their half to turn into a disgusting paste with which they feed their children. I no longer "cross over" for fear of losing my shoe laces to their sewer dwelling "Lace-a-saurus".

Comment

Nothing West can be called Over-rated because none are considered good......

Lionhead get's slammed over and over (as does Glen Abbey). Outside those two (and maybe Royal Ontario), the only other with followers here is Pipers Heath.

Every other is considered probably low end imo.

I'd throw in Turnberry..... The # here gushing over a par 3 course always surprises me.

That's another reason I went private. I got tired of having to find a public course at a decent price (and yes I pay way more now) where I could play at a good pace.

Comment

Originally posted by gotogolf View Post
                        Nothing West can be called Over-rated because none are considered good......
                        Every other is considered probably low end imo.
                        Right, I forgot where EAGLES NEST and COPPER CREEK are!?

Comment

Maybe he considers those "low end"?

I'm trying to think of any other "good" courses West of the city. Maybe some sort of 54-hole place that never gets much love....
                          "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                          ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
                            Maybe he considers those "low end"?

I'm trying to think of any other "good" courses West of the city. Maybe some sort of 54-hole place that never gets much love....
                            Old Vienna I think it's called?

Comment

Consider those and Osprey north........ Heck Osprey is Orangeville...... I have a funny view of Toronto.......

Comment

I wasn't as impressed with Glen Abby, my expectations based on the price /exclusivity may have been high but that comes to my mind on this thread.
                                I may feel different if I played it in stroke play, but the only time I can play is at the company tourney and its scramble.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X