Long putter grips

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long putter grips

I see some players with longer grips on standard length putters
    What is purpose and what effect does it have on balance ? - heavier or lighter head ?

Thanks

Re: Long putter grips

If you're talking about a putter like the TaylorMade Daddy Long Legs or Spider Blade, then the theory is that they are looking to achieve counterbalance. Slightly heavier putter head with more weight at the grip-end, supposed to make the putter more stable. Usually the shaft is a bit longer than standard (i.e. if you normally use a 35" putter, they would recommend you use the 38" model so that when you grip it, you grip it at the same level you would normally grip a 35" putter so there's a couple inches of grip showing above your hands). Big OEM's recently started to produce counter balance models in response to the USGA / R&A forthcoming ban on anchored grips, and the theory is that it's supposed to make the putter more stable by quieting the player's hands. I've actually tried both the Odyssey Tank and TaylorMade Spider Blade, and I have to say that there's definitely something to it and could be worth a look if you are trying to find a more stable putting stroke...
    WITB
    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha / Fubuki zt Tour / S / 9
    Callaway X2 Hot Pro FW / Aldila Tour Green / S / 13.5
    Callaway X2 Hot Pro Hybrid / Aldila Tour Green / S / 18
    Callaway Apex Pro 4 - PW / UST Recoil 110 / F4
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Wedges / DG S300 / 52, 60
    Scotty Cameron Futura X

Comment

Thanks for the explanation
      My 34" has 2 x 20 gr weights, but feels light to me
      I will putz around and see

Comment

Originally posted by jimfastcar View Post
        Thanks for the explanation
        My 34" has 2 x 20 gr weights, but feels light to me
        I will putz around and see
        Counterbalancing gives a more solid heavy feel to the putter. Give 1 of these 2 putters a try at golftown and you may have a WOW moment too!! Make sure you choke down on them, 35" is designed for those who prefer a 34 or 33" putter

Comment

Had one of my putters extended and re-gripped and rolled a few late yesterday. Wow - I may have found something for me (I am sure it will last at least 18 holes )

Cost around $ 22, so a few Nassaus this weekend should recover the investment

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
          X