$300 TAYLORMADE RAC OS ‘CHINA COUNTERFEIT’ - BUYER BEWARE

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $300 TAYLORMADE RAC OS ‘CHINA COUNTERFEIT’ - BUYER BEWARE

$300 TAYLORMADE RAC OS ‘CHINA COUNTERFEIT’ - BUYER BEWARE

No these are not my clubs . I only measured each club for consistency over a complete set.

I check the quality level of a $300 TaylorMade RAC OS [Counterfeit] iron set from China.
    All 12 shafts were graphite TAYLORMADE R5 SERIES M.A.S2 60, R FLEX [again Counterfeit].

12 clubs, plus all of the accessories [staff bag, shoe bag, head covers, etc.].
    The guy who owns them looked real good on the course with his buddies, and he has few dollars invested.
    Only a few minor problems to report:
    Ø The 4-Iron [24.5° loft] hits longer than does the 3-Iron [29.0° loft]
    Note: The 3-Iron will probably break if adjusted for loft to factory specifications
    Ø The S-Wedge [51.5° loft] hits a similar distance to the matching 9-iron [51.0° loft]
    Ø The 9-Iron is off on lie angle by a full 4.0°, which will greatly impact directional control
    Ø A full 5.0 swingweight point spread between the 4-Iron [C8.9] vs. the 7-Iron [D3.9]
    Ø Other problems highlighted – refer to the attached file
    He also reported he hits the 3 woods [driver + fairway metals] real good but the 5-Wood is a
    little short on distance compared to its 3-Metal counterpart. The driver has good distance and control.

Pertaining to this set of counterfeit TM RAC OS irons [3 to SW], a total of
    17 of 45 specifications are out of tolerance, for a defect rate of 37.8% or 377,778 ppm.
    Now the $42 question … how might these irons actually play?

The owner is entering his 2nd season playing these counterfeit clubs, results of which Increased HIS Stroke Aveage by 10 .

This set will yield significant yardage gap discrepancies club-to-club. % Error [dispersion] will be huge if tested on a mechanical robot. He went from low 90’s to low 100’s after putting this TaylorMade Counterfeit
    set into play.

Buyer Beware. If the deal is too good to be true, it probably is

Have you ever had your set checked for its ‘Quality Consistency’ over the compete set, to
    determine potential problems with Accuracy and Control?
    Last edited by TourIQ; Dec 25, 2009, 12:50 PM.
    Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
    Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
    Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Re: $300 TAYLORMADE RAC OS ‘CHINA COUNTERFEIT’ - BUYER BEWARE

thats quite an eye opener ,another great reason to buy from a reputable dealer or club builder.

Comment

I would never ever buy a 12 piece set of brand name clubs.. you see so many on craigslist too, trying to sell them for $900 when they costed less than $200. Pathetic ppl
      TM R7 Superquad TP 8.5* Grafalloy Blue X-S
      Titleist 909F2 3 Wood 15.5*
      TM Rescue 11 3H Aldila NVS S
      TM Rescue 11 4H Aldila NVS S
      TM Tour Preferred MC 5-AW
      Titleist Vokey SM4 54*
      Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2

Comment

Originally posted by nearace
        thats quite an eye opener
        Club pictures added

Comment

first of all let me say i dont use fakes and would never play fakes, in fact most of my clubs are tour issue - i have many people in my company who travel to china on a regular basis and tell me you can get a full set of fake callaways including putter , bag and travel bag for around $250 - if you are not an avid golfer who just plays a round or 2 a year then i think it is a good deal - these type of golfers have no idea of what is good or not, ie. between an ozik shaft and a piece of string with a club head at the end, and just play for fun, they probably swing and miss the ball as much as they swing and hit it, for these type of people ( who are generally cheap as well ) then a full set for for $250 is a good deal

Comment

I don't much care if newer/infrequent players can make us of $250 knockoffs. It's still absolutely wrong for people to steal the name of Calloway or anyone else. Make something similar perhaps and put Bob's Golf Company or Chan's Club Manufacturing on them. But don't copy them, name and all. The poor smucks you describe probably don't know the difference and they'll end up trying to sell them to someone who is just beginning to play and that person will think they're getting a great deal off ebay or craiglist when they buy them used for 300 bucks. Did I mention I think it just ain't right. May as well steal a tractor trailer full of real ones and sell them as far as I'm concerned. Just a different form of theft and deceit. imho of course

Comment

Originally posted by GOLFINGGINO
              first of all let me say i dont use fakes and would never play fakes, in fact most of my clubs are tour issue - i have many people in my company who travel to china on a regular basis and tell me you can get a full set of fake callaways including putter , bag and travel bag for around $250 - if you are not an avid golfer who just plays a round or 2 a year then i think it is a good deal - these type of golfers have no idea of what is good or not, ie. between an ozik shaft and a piece of string with a club head at the end, and just play for fun, they probably swing and miss the ball as much as they swing and hit it, for these type of people ( who are generally cheap as well ) then a full set for for $250 is a good deal
              that's not the point. it's the same as buying pirated videos and music. you're endorsing an activity that takes hard earned funds out of the companies that do legitimate R&D to develop technology in affordable clubs that enable the average golfers like yourself and myself to buy and use.

Comment

A local doctor and surgeon who probably makes $500K+ / year was asking
                guys at work who frequent China to buy him a set of $250 counterfeits.

Comment

guys wake up, copying happens all the time in all industries, i am into watches, pens and golf clubs and you have to know what you are doing, or you will get screwed - i'm not saying it is right but if the average joe hacker buys a complete set of fakes for $300 and is happy and shoots his 110 then what is the problem, anyone with any sense would realize if the price they are getting it for is 20% of the retail value then something is wrong - a lot of guys i know that have the fakes tell me they are the same as the originals, just alot cheaper - i just smile - i really dont want to heart their feeling

Comment

Originally posted by GOLFINGGINO
                    for the same price I rather buy a full set of ram golf clubs from sportscheck

Comment

No wakeup call needed here. As Reptar15 and The Har point out it affects the economy. Just because everybody else is doing it doesn't make it right. It's still theft and it's still wrong.

Comment

The difference with golf clubs is the performance aspect.

If I buy a fake NBA jersey that is made entirely to spec (down to exact replicas of the tags) it is a lot different than buying a set of fake clubs. The clubs have severe quality and performance issues but the performance of a jersey isn't going to cause harm either way. Same could be said for DVDs. If you are replicating digital media where there is little or no quality loss, then it is a completely different story.

Sure, it is illegal but when was the last time a music label or production company went out of business as a result of pirated media? Last I checked, the NBA was doing ok with their merchandising.

Neil

Comment

I just want to add my own sightings of fakes to Tour IQ's warning.

I scrounged through the Kijiji Toronto site (google Kijiji) which in itself is a knockoff of ebay. lol
                          There are at least 6 sets of Taylor and Callaway fakes trying to be pawned off for an average of $900 and up to $1900!
                          On fellow admits to selling fake Honmas,but claims his $650 price is cheap compared to the originals he claims are selling for $30,000!
                          I recognized only one seller dealing in reputable clubs. Yikes!

Comment

Originally posted by reincarnated
                            The difference with golf clubs is the performance aspect. If I buy a fake NBA jersey that is made entirely to spec (down to exact replicas of the tags) it is a lot different than buying a set of fake clubs. The clubs have severe quality and performance issues but the performance of a jersey isn't going to cause harm either way. Neil
                            Hi Neil

You nailed it reincarnated . It's not about saving or losing a few dollars, it's about performance or lack thereof. I could care less if someone had a $3,000 set or only spent $300 or less. Regardless if it's Name Brand or Counterfeit, the China company making the product is only paying their workers $250 USD / month or less

You rarely meet a golfer who doesn't keep score, as this is how the game is played. Most play for fun and the potential of a low round or personal best score, hitting their goal(s) which validates their own improvement. Funny thing about low scores, they don't happen frequent enough

The guy who now owns these China Counterfeits played 20-year old irons before this new set, so they probably had small heads and were harder to hit. His Stroke Average climbed 10 with the new set. He could probably shave a full 15 strokes off his game with new dialled-in equipment.
                            He could shoot mid-to-high 80's instead of his current low 100's.
                            Yes Neil, the 'Performance Aspect' as you had stated. Who doesn't love to shoot lower scores, or get significantly more pars and birdies?

The other point is this. What % of the golfers actually know the Actual Quality Characteristics [length, swingweight, frequency, total weight, loft, lie, etc.] of EACH CLUB in their BAG? How many golfers are not getting the full entitlement out of their game which their personal skill and ability has to offer?

Originally posted by nearace
                            thats quite an eye opener ,another great reason to buy from a reputable dealer or club builder.
                            Hi nearace

Sorry to say there is no guarantee that you are getting what you paid for
                            Until each club is validated as to its #'s and compared to the rest of the set, you may
                            not know if you have a quality set or a low quality set plagued with chronic performance issues.

I have never seen a golfer buy a Certifed Set of Name Brand Clubs , so even with the Name Brand I guess it is BUYER BEWARE
                            Last edited by TourIQ; Jun 24, 2007, 11:55 PM. Reason: Automerged posts

Comment

Great work Harry... you put some numbers on what I have always suspected, especially after hitting some of these sets (i've hit the fake Nike Slingshots, Ping G2, Taylormade R580).

Did you, by any chance, freq the shafts? All over the place as well?
                              WITB:
                              Driver: Cleveland Classic 290(Miyazaki)
                              3W: Callaway XR Pro 3 Deep 14* (Diamana 70 I'Lima)
                              2H: Adams Pro Gold(Matrix Ozik Altus)
                              4-PW: Callaway X-Prototype (Aerotech Steelfiber I95)
                              56: Callaway X-Forged (Dynamic Gold)
                              60: Callaway X-Forged (Rifle Spinner)
                              Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Mid Slant Pro Platinum

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X