Licence plate cover laws

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Licence plate cover laws

Originally posted by dekker
    Admit it, the only reason you put covers on your plate is to hopefully ride toll roads incognito.
    Keeps the dirt off? Yeah sure.
    lol! actually no, i like to keep the plates looking clean and fresh. and I've never driven on the 407. ever! I drive a non descript small honda suv - i'm already incognito!
    Slice.

Comment

Since I put a clear cover on my GF's SVT several years ago to deter people stealing her sticker (it happened twice), she's been stopped several times at ride program stops and once for speeding and had no probs with the officers involved. BTW, the stickers have stayed put since I did this.
      U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

Originally posted by slicendice
        so, you're a police officer or work at traffic court? It's not that I don't belive you, it's just that I'd need some legal proof that i'd get a ticket for my ever so slightly smoke coloured covers.

for those who got tickets or know people who got tickets for this? What kind of car was the person driving? I drive a late model silver CRV - unless I'm speeding or otherwise being a naughty driver, I'm invisible.
        One of my friends drives an Infinity FX35. Here is his story....

Yesterday driving on Keele I get pulled over from a cop who was driving behind me for less than 15 seconds. I'm not really worried (as long as they don't search my car) because I've done nothing wrong. Not speeding and I signalled when I passed another car (I saw when the cop got behind us all).

The cop who resembled Micahel Kuss with a lisp informs me that he pulled me over because my tinted license plate cover is obstructing my plate. What surprised me is his partner standing outside my passenger window looking inside the car the whole time. Well, until he walked over to the other side to tell his partner that my tint is illegal also.

I told the pig that I've had the tint and plate cover on since I got the vehicle 2 1/2 years ago and have never had any trouble. He wasn't very talkative and went to his car. 10 minutes later he has a ticket for $110 for the plate cover.

I told him it seemed kind of foolish that I get a $110 ticket for the plate cover when I would have simply removed it. I told him I didn't want my insurance to go up but he gave me the typical cop answer (heard this before) that it doesn't affect my demerit points and shouldn't affect my insurance. From when I looked into it though, any moving violation (ticket other than parking) will affect insurance. If my car was parked he would not have issued the ticket thus it's a moving violation technically.

Anyway, I asked him why he couldn't give me a fix-it ticket but he responded by saying he has to give me one for the tint or plate cover and did me a favour because it would cost money to have the tint removed.

He leaves by telling me that with the dark tint (27% btw) and plate cover "it usually means you're up to no good".

How ridiculous. I understand that it gives him cause to pull me over but once he can clearly see that I'm a regular guy with a clean record not engaging in criminal activity you'd think he could just have warned me.

The ticket got tossed in court. The problem with a lot of the HTA laws are that it's all about the discretion of an officer. You can be fine 99% of the time but it takes one officer who is having a bad day to end up with a stupid ticket. I have been driving sports cars for a long time now so I'm used to having my balls busted for no reason but it does get old

Comment

Originally posted by Chambokl
          The OPP said they were not legal. They said that you can't cover your licence plate.

I don't know why they are still selling them. I also don't know anybody that were ticketed for having one of those. I know some people got warnings..
          My brother got pulled over with the tinted CTC licence plate cover and got a note to get his vehicle upgraded within something like 48 hours. No fine if he complied, so he took the note to CTC and got new clear covers.

The tint covers don't work too well at the USA/Canada borders as they can't read your plate no.
          Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
          Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
          Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

I knew the tinted ones were illegal but never thought the clear ones were too. Several years back I bought my car in for service (at the dealership) and when I got it back, they've put clear covers on my plate. Back then, I was thinking "Wow, nice service"... but now I know they were just trying to screw me over.
            Webmaster

Comment

interesting. I'll pick up some clear covers - if i get stopped for clear covers then so be it.

thanks for the info Blue!
              Slice.

Comment

Originally posted by slicendice
                interesting. I'll pick up some clear covers - if i get stopped for clear covers then so be it.

thanks for the info Blue!
                No problem

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                X