Collapse

What my TLT set looks like...

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What my TLT set looks like...

I'm about to put a new set of irons into play this fall. If I'm happy with them I may look at using the old TM heads for a TLT experiment.
    We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
    Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
    Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
    Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
    Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
    Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
    Srixon Star XV
    Ogio Grom bag

Comment

Originally posted by jburns View Post
      I think that's just their stock weight from Ping. Lighter head weights... faster swing speed... more distance.
      Too bad you didn't a fitting at MG and then a comparison with TLT.
      "The Older I Get...
      The Longer My Drives Used To Be."
      Relationships are a lot like algebra. Have you ever looked at your X and wondered Y

Comment

Originally posted by Pin Seeker View Post
        Too bad you didn't a fitting at MG and then a comparison with TLT.
        I've had a chance to do two fittings at Ping. Set was good... shorter lengths and same.address. position just makes it better.
        Bag: PING Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Floral
        Driver: TM SIM2 MAX @ 10.5*
        Wood: TM SIM2 MAX @ 15*
        Hybrids: TM SIM2 22*
        Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW
        Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60*
        Putter: SGC WB Northwood
        Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Comment

You've officially gone off the deep end
          Epic 10.5 - Elements
          Epic 3 wood - Elements
          Mizuno JPX900 -22* Veylix Rome 988X
          King MB - Recoil Prototype
          Fourteen - 52/56/60PM -Recoil Prototype
          Lamb Allendale
          https://www.instagram.com/makerofputts/

Comment

First off - thank you Jeff for the wonderful write up.

Jeff's set reflects what I can do with drastically reduced length increments between clubs. The biggest problem with modern equipment is simply too upright of a lie angle and too long of long irons & often too short of short irons.

I tightened up the math model and essentially did SL from the 8 through the wedges (with the exception of the 58 - it is still not correct), and reduced the length increment from his 8 down to his 5. So with only a 1.4" total differential from 5 - 54, and by bringing the swing weights up, we compacted this set into a very playable TLT build. These heads were way too light and after removing some length we had no choice but to add weight back to the head.

Feedback from my customers that are playing similar sets are reporting back the same feedback as Jeff. In all honesty I get this same feedback from my customers that have traditional TLT builds - near 2.9 total length differential. The key is lie angles have to be addressed just as much as length issues.

SL is not for everyone. One of my better players has the Wishon's, but we ended up extending the 5,6,7 & 8 (plus flattened the lie). This is now a 2 length set and he is loving them. They were not built to Wishon's model of the 8 iron length - as this guy is taller. More like a 6 iron length, but with extremely stiff shafts.

He now has both TLT and SL - and can play both extremely well - so if you want to maintain a bit of added length - then TLT trumps SL, but if you want to play identical clubs with the exception of loft - then play SL.

I have extremely positive feedback from both camps.
            Last edited by TLT Dan; Oct 3, 2017, 07:21 PM.
            Regards
            Dan

True Length Technology TM
            Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
            True Frequency Technology TM
            - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
            - Master
            Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
            - Advanced / Professional
            Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
            - Class 'A'

Comment

I think that's just their stock weight from Ping. Lighter head weights... faster swing speed... more distance.
              For many iron sets, at standard length Ping targets a specific swingweight and the normal delta variance is normally within 1 point - way better than most all other Name Brands.

On a custom order, you can request a higher or lighter swingweight. Many of their models have a Custom Tuning Port (CTP) which they use to adjust head weight.

I'll be getting a set of LH'ed S55's CTP adjusted during the offseason.
              Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
              Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
              Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Originally posted by pix40 View Post
                You've officially gone off the deep end
                I'm surprised he didn't see a witch doctor or try an Indian tent ceremony in Arizona.

WIT SM C130 Cart Bag:
                TM SLDR 10.5*
                TM SLDR 3W & TM V-Steel 5W
                TM Rescue 22*
                4-PW Mix of Mizuno MX-25's and TM RBZ's
                Wedges: Titleist SM 53* & 56*
                Ping Ketch
                Ball: What's on sale?

Comment

Thanks for all the great info and pics Jeff. Don't think I saw anything about how long the process took and I'd be curious to know that.

Comment

Got lots of messages as a result of some TLT talk in other threads so I wanted to post a few lines and try and show you the size differences in my set.

I used a TLT for awhile many years ago and I really liked how they played. I went into the full on TGN Club Ho mode for a number of years and never wanted to invest the money in the retrofits so I hadn't been back to TLT... until now.

Since my first set I've always kept in touch with Dan and he's been a true pro and a gentlemen when it comes to helping me with clubs. Beyond doing work anytime I had questions I could call or email and he would always respond and give me the answers for the questions I had.

What brought me back to TLT was all the reading I have been doing on Sterling Irons, single length clubs, and a desire for greater consistency. I liked my set-up and deep down I knew the constant swapping of clubs wasn't helping me. But before diving into single length full on I decided I would get back into TLT again.

After almost two months of chatting with Dan I decided I would make the jump not two weeks before leaving on my golf trip. I wasn't hitting my 5-6 iron very well anyway so I said #%#%$ IT and lets give it a go.

Using Dan's model we got into a set with shorter lengths between clubs and that constant same TLT athletic set-up at address every time. My 5 iron became a whole inch shorter and my wedges became longer. Weights and lie angles were adjusted so everything fit nicely into the TLT model. I left my hybrid, wood, and driver alone as I hit them pretty good and I like the distance I get from them

I've posted a picture of my set 5-LW so you can see the heights. The LW was the only one I left alone from the irons and wedges cause it's mainly greenside bunkers and chips for that club.

To cap off the drastic changes I went with oversized grips on everything. I like them, like the feel, and I needed new grips anyway so again... I said @#$@ it and let's make everything totally new!

I had time to get in a little golf before I left so I hit mens league to test everything out. Right away I could tell I liked setting up with the shorter long irons. My first test came on hole #1 and being 170 yards out from the green. I pulled my 6 iron and proceeded to hit the best 6 iron I've struck all year... flew high with a baby fade and stuck the green.

Even with the shorter lengths there was no loss of distance and only an increase in consistency.

The theme followed through the rest of the 9 holes when I left with a 40 that included a lost ball (damn driver) and 2 x 3 putts. In Arizona I was easily 10 strokes less a round compared to my time there two years ago (clubs and lessons helping for sure).

So if you're interested in more consistent golf and you really like your clubs I would highly recommend Dan (Dan's custom golf) for a consultation. I was able to keep my Ping sponsorship intact and really improve my game for a minor investment.

do you have your old specs ?I would of liked to see the old as compared to the new ,pics would of been cool.

Comment

I turned around Jeff's set in 2 - 3 days (providing I have everything in stock). I will need near an hour to go through the iron fitting process (Jeff's fit was already done).

I do lots of retrofit work as well as new builds. I would love to meet with you - and given the opportunity, you will see all the benefits (and get to swing clubs that fit) of a TLT fit.

When you get to understand how important a singular athletic address position is, you will understand the value of TLT. I still run very near 100% satisfaction with my TLT build process.

Originally posted by Smittyman View Post
                      Thanks for all the great info and pics Jeff. Don't think I saw anything about how long the process took and I'd be curious to know that.
                      Regards
                      Dan

- Developer / Owner

- Master
                      - Class 'A'

Comment

Thanks Dan.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetchilli View Post
                          Another TLT user! I got my clubs (712 AP2's and MD2 Wedges) retrofitted to TLT in August with Dan. I have to be honest I hated the clubs at first but I have grown to really really really like them and now I cannot go back to a regular set, I tried a regular set and it just felt "wrong"and I was back to my old miss with my short irons and wedges...pulling it left of target. I did not notice that big of a difference with long irons for me but everything below an 8 iron I saw a huge increase in accuracy and full shots with my 52 and 56 wedge are so confident that I know I can get them inside of 5 feet almost everytime and I can even hit a full 60 wedge now! The biggest adjustment for me was that my swingweights really went up, Dan said they are somewhere around a E1 now. Fatigue really played into effect when I first got the clubs but now 2 months later swinging them is effortless and buttery smooth. When I line my clubs up it seems that all my clubs from 60-8 iron are almost the same length so it really adds consistency inside of 150 yards. Ball striking has definitely improved and spin has also, I used to have trouble getting ball stopping spin but since going to dan I hold greens and even spin back, I often spin wedges back a couple feet now!

My tip would be that if you do decide to go with Dan's TLT system, stick with it. It is not an immediate bandage to your golf game, it will take time and work to get the clubs working for you but man...once they do you cannot go back. Looking forward to contacting Dan to build some wedges probably next year because I feel my MD2 wedges are getting pretty worn. For reference, currently a 8.0 handicap, when I when to Dan I was a 9.0, the weeks following the retrofitted clubs I went up to a 9.5, then things started to drop when I got used to them, shooting my best round ever. Now sitting at my best ever, 8.0, and should be dropping lower now too with the next score I enter and a large part of that can be attributed to my new found confidence inside of 150 yards using Dan's TLT clubs, give me a 100 yard shot and a birdie is now a very very realistic outcome.

TL;DR Dan is a genius.
                          Your long irons had very little change done to them other than a small lie adjustment. Your short irons however were extremely short , especially your Mack daddy wedges. Every one of these that I have worked on are quite head heavy and very short. So by just doing an extension they did become swing weight heavy. It's not that they became unbearably heavy but compared to where they were there would be a noticeable difference.

So glad to hear that your adaption period is over an the handicap is dropping. The fitting did what it was suppose to do - get you athletic and promote a singular athletic address position - resulting in a very repeatable flight.
                          Regards
                          Dan

- Developer / Owner

- Master
                          - Class 'A'

Comment

Dan
                            How long before the lie adjustment need to be redone.
                            "The Older I Get...
                            The Longer My Drives Used To Be."
                            Relationships are a lot like algebra. Have you ever looked at your X and wondered Y

Comment

Only if clubs are forged will there be a concern for re-adjustment. Cast typically will not move.

Of all the sets I have built to TLT only a few have had to have a re-adjustment after playing for a while. My goal is to get you athletic and have the lie and length co-ordinated to this. Once this is set there should never be a 'fit' reason to make any change.
                              Regards
                              Dan

- Developer / Owner

- Master
                              - Class 'A'

Comment

Originally posted by danscustomgolfshop View Post
                                Only if clubs are forged will there be a concern for re-adjustment. Cast typically will not move.

Of all the sets I have built to TLT only a few have had to have a re-adjustment after playing for a while. My goal is to get you athletic and have the lie and length co-ordinated to this. Once this is set there should never be a 'fit' reason to make any change.
                                Dan, I would add soft stainless heads to those that should be be checked every 50 rounds or so .

The SMT cast iron heads were soooo soft , I recall Ben saying he bent one 9*
                                "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X