Collapse

Wilson Staff Duo vs 50 Elite

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilson Staff Duo vs 50 Elite

I don't have a fast swing speed (80+ Mph). Read some good reviews on the Duo (40 compression). Went in to GT today to buy a dozen ($24.99). Saw that they had 2 dozen of the 50 Elite (50 compression) for $24.99.

Questions:
    1. Is there a big difference between the two balls
    2. How will the warm weather affect their performance?

Re: Wilson Staff Duo vs 50 Elite

Originally posted by JoeldMtl View Post
    I don't have a fast swing speed (80+ Mph). Read some good reviews on the Duo (40 compression). Went in to GT today to buy a dozen ($24.99). Saw that they had 2 dozen of the 50 Elite (50 compression) for $24.99.

Questions:
    I've played both!

1) Difference, as per what the salesman at GT told me is that the Duo's a bit softer. But from a distance perspective, they're pretty much the same! I've hit drives with both balls and haven't noticed a significant enough of a difference between the two. But in terms of feel, I think I'd prefer the Duo to the 50 Elite for the short game aspect.
    2) Warm weather - hmmm; no clue! Can't comment on this, but perhaps someone else could...?

Comment

Questions:
      I don't know much about either of the Duo or Elite except for the hearsay.
      I would recommend the Precept IQ180 for your swingspeed. Have tried them and these are good. The "word of mouth" has been consistently positive on them from the beginning
      Last edited by dekker; Jun 6, 2012, 10:08 PM. Reason: include link

Comment

Originally posted by TMAzng01f3R View Post
        I've played both!

1) Difference, as per what the salesman at GT told me is that the Duo's a bit softer. But from a distance perspective, they're pretty much the same! I've hit drives with both balls and haven't noticed a significant enough of a difference between the two. But in terms of feel, I think I'd prefer the Duo to the 50 Elite for the short game aspect.
        2) Warm weather - hmmm; no clue! Can't comment on this, but perhaps someone else could...?
        I usually use a Topflite V2 or a Noodle. How do the Wilsons compare distance wise and feel to other balls you have used?

Comment

I usually use a Topflite V2 or a Noodle. How do the Wilsons compare distance wise and feel to other balls you have used?
          Its funny, I think we've been using and trying out the same golf balls!

Anyhoo - for whatever reason, from a driving perspective, I'd have to give an edge and preference to the Wilsons (Elite 50 and Duos) for distance and accuracy. I'm a slicer for the most part, but with the 50/50 or Duo, perhaps its mental/coincidence but I don't slice 'as much' as compared to the Topflite V2.

So if I had to rank/compare for 'my' game:

1) Duo (driving and feel)
          2) 50 Elite (doesn't have a good of a feel as compared to Duo but at least its more or less the same distance, and $7 cheaper per 12: $17.99 for 12 50 Elites VS $24.99 for Duos)
          3) Topflite V2 (on my good drives which didn't happen as much with this ball as compared to the above Wilsons, I got similar distances. But I'd say this for my game would be good for Par 3's, since it has more bite).

Another suggestion would be to try Bridgestone xFixx's... They go for $19.99 a box of 12 and I've seen them at the GT's in Etobicoke (Queensway/Kipling). For me, I got good distance and accuracy with these balls and the feel was definitely better than the 50 Elite! I just wished more GT's carried them!!

Comment

Anyhoo - for whatever reason, from a driving perspective, I'd have to give an edge and preference to the Wilsons (Elite 50 and Duos) for distance and accuracy. I'm a slicer for the most part, but with the 50/50 or Duo, perhaps its mental/coincidence but I don't slice 'as much' as compared to the Topflite V2.

2) 50 Elite (doesn't have a good of a feel as compared to Duo but at least its more or less the same distance, and $7 cheaper per 12: $17.99 for 12 50 Elites VS $24.99 for Duos)
            3) Topflite V2 (on my good drives which didn't happen as much with this ball as compared to the above Wilsons, I got similar distances. But I'd say this for my game would be good for Par 3's, since it has more bite).

Another suggestion would be to try Bridgestone xFixx's... They go for $19.99 a box of 12 and I've seen them at the GT's in Etobicoke (Queensway/Kipling). For me, I got good distance and accuracy with these balls and the feel was definitely better than the 50 Elite! I just wished more GT's carried them!!
            As for Noodle, I remember using these too last year and its benefits were similar to any 'Distance' or 'Accuracy' balls of the brand, Pinnacle. Distances were more or less the same (maybe even a bit less), I would slice more with these balls, and putting with them felt like putting rocks...

Comment

FYI today's GT flyer, here in Montreal,has a double pack of Wilson 50 Elite on sale for $19.99 (usually $24.99 for 24, 17.99 for 12).

I usually hit a straight ball, except when I forget to tranfer my weight to my left foot, then I come around too early and pull (push??) the ball left.

So I'm mostly looking more for more distance and feel. I like the V2 and have had no problems with the Noodle, BUT alwys looking to gain those extra 50 yards - LOL.

Have heard good things about Bridgestones. Will have to give those a try.

Thanks

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
              X