Collapse

SEAT BELT VIOLATION

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SEAT BELT VIOLATION

Too bad this wasn't Ontario; the officer in question would have been breaking the law.
    10 degree Cobra Fly-Z+ / Matrix White Tie 55X4
    16 degree Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 / Fujikura Speeder 865
    20 degree Ping Rapture V2 Hybrid / MR JavlinFX
    4-AW Nike Vapor Pro Combo / DG Pro

54, 58 degree Ping Glide / CFS
    Ping Anser Redwood

Srixon ZStar XV

Comment

Originally posted by mpare View Post
      I don't have a problem with that, because the actions of the officer do nothing to cause the driver to use his or her phone. By contrast, if - as the OP stated - a driver unbuckles his seat belt while the vehicle is stopped to provide money to one who is perceived as less fortunate, then I do have a problem with that. In that case, one could reasonably argue that the officer's conduct led to the action (removing the seat belt), which the officer then claims constitutes an offence. It surprises me that an officer would charge someone under those circumstances. My guess, and it is only a guess, is that the officer concluded that the driver was operating the vehicle without a seat belt before he stopped to make his donation.
      I KNEW someone would come to defend this situation, glad I was not disappointed.

Comment

Exactly how does my statement "defend this situation?" You might want to carefully re-read what I wrote.

Originally posted by spazzdla View Post
        I KNEW someone would come to defend this situation, glad I was not disappointed.
        This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Originally posted by mpare View Post
          I don't have a problem with that, because the actions of the officer do nothing to cause the driver to use his or her phone. By contrast, if - as the OP stated - a driver unbuckles his seat belt while the vehicle is stopped to provide money to one who is perceived as less fortunate, then I do have a problem with that. In that case, one could reasonably argue that the officer's conduct led to the action (removing the seat belt), which the officer then claims constitutes an offence. It surprises me that an officer would charge someone under those circumstances. My guess, and it is only a guess, is that the officer concluded that the driver was operating the vehicle without a seat belt before he stopped to make his donation.
          Really, so you think it is OK for officers to dress up as homeless people, and do you think it is fun being a homeless person, easy to say when you're retired with a golf club membership.
          If the officer dressed up as a trans gender would that be OK with you as well?
          We have an increase in gun violence, which needs more police attention than this kind of masquerade. As for the seat belt charge, that is the least serious of all the other driving offences causing death or injury to others. For the most part probably 99.9999% of people killed without a seat belt on; are the drivers themselves. So going after people for this offence, IMO is disgraceful to say the least.
          Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Anyone (homeless or an officer), standing on a median is dangerous. Not only to themselves, but it's a distraction to the driving public and posses a real danger. Trying to minimize one danger by creating another is ridiculous. We've worked hard to get emergency service people wear bright orange vests (to save their lives), and here we are endangering an officer to collect seatbelt tickets. A very high compliance issue with 95% of drivers buckling up. The risk doesn't justify the tactic.
            The Personal's group auto insurance blog offers relevant and interesting advice to vehicle owners.
            – Greg

Comment

Yes, I have no problem with police occasionally assuming disguises to detect illegal activities such as texting at the lights, since the disguise does not bring about the illegal activity. On the other hand, I do have a problem with officer's conduct in this case, if it led to the driver removing his seatbelt to help a homeless person. I'm not sure what my status as a retiree has to do with any of this. If you were attempting to suggest that this strategy by the police might reduce the number of roadside donations by drivers, then you may have a point. However, I have given money to individuals looking for help without ever removing my seatbelt, so I'm not sure that your assumption is correct.

Contrary to your charge, I never said that I favoured this police ruse to induce drivers to remove their seat belts. In fact, I said just the opposite. As for whether this approach is the best use of police resources, that is quite another matter, which I did not purport to address. In fact, I happen to think that their endorcement activities would be better directed elsewhere.

Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post
              Really, so you think it is OK for officers to dress up as homeless people, and do you think it is fun being a homeless person, easy to say when you're retired with a golf club membership.
              We have an increase in gun violence, which needs more police attention than this kind of masquerade. As for the seat belt charge, that is the least serious of all the other driving offences causing death or injury to others. For the most part probably 99.9999% of people killed without a seat belt on; are the drivers themselves. So going after people for this offence, IMO is disgraceful to say the least.
              This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post
                Sure if the officer was trying to catch a rapist, why not. I don't have a problem with cops doing what ever is necessary inside the law in order to catch criminals.
                Its quite offensive you trying to use "political correctness" to make your case.

Comment

Have you looked at the pic and read his sign? This was not entrapment. If cops wanted to push unbuckling to get money out of your pockets they should just hang by the timmys drivethru.
                  I send pictures ~ through the mail ~ of buried treasures ~ and Humpback whales ~to famous people ~ I do not know ~ I sign "Sincerely, ~ Matthias Doe" ~ I await ~ their response...

Comment

I am happy the police are creative in their tactics to give seat belt tickets.

last thing I want is someones stupid lifeless body acting as a projectile and hitting my vehicle because they were too lazy to put on a seat belt.

with that being said I think cellphone tickets needs to be way more of a stiffer penalty.

Comment

Originally posted by Jayhawker View Post
                      Have you looked at the pic and read his sign? This was not entrapment. If cops wanted to push unbuckling to get money out of your pockets they should just hang by the timmys drivethru.

How often do you read the sign in someones hands as you wait? I'd wager its more about eye contact avoidance then anything. This is what they would think as a loop hole in their argument.

Either way, pretty well everyone is going to feel its pretty shady and all good will is long gone as this story grows. Am I allowed to right up tickets to officers I see on their cells or flick their lights to get through intersections for no other reason then they don't feel liker waiting as I see that pretty often.

Comment

Wouldn't this be considered entrapment?

Comment

Originally posted by triniexr View Post
                          As well as entitlement.
                          Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Originally posted by triniexr View Post
                            Giving an opportunity to break the law is not entrapment. Enticing or forcing someone to break the law is entrapment. This is just ****** police work if true.
                            Callaway Blayne Standbag:
                            TaylorMade M1 9.5*
                            TaylorMade Burner Superfast 2.0 3w 15*
                            TaylorMade R15 5w 19*
                            TaylorMade RBZ Stage 1 TP 3 Hybrid
                            Taykormade Speesburner 5 Hybrid
                            5-AW TaylorMade RocketBladez
                            Callaway Mack Daddy 2 - 54* and 58*
                            Scott Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke 3.0 Slim
                            Srixion Z-Star XV

Comment

I don't a have a problem with plain clothes officers watching for cell phone use, smoking with kids in the car, drinking and driving as well as all distracted driving.

I find it more disturbing that ABC news posts Dane's full name, date of birth, Saskatchewan driver's license number, full address, full make model and year of the car he drives as well as car's owner and address.

$175 is cheap publicity for his vape shop.

Comment

Originally posted by otherguy View Post
                                I don't a have a problem with plain clothes officers watching for cell phone use, smoking with kids in the car, drinking and driving as well as all distracted driving.
                                I find it more disturbing that ABC news posts Dane's full name, date of birth, Saskatchewan driver's license number, full address, full make model and year of the car he drives as well as car's owner and address.
                                $175 is cheap publicity for his vape shop.
                                So you are saying they set it all up to sell VAPES, give your head a shake.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                                X