No announcement yet.
Collapse

What is the worst golf course in GTA?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What is the worst golf course in GTA?

Originally posted by Smittyman View Post
    All fair points Arthur and I don't disagree that much of it is subjective; as soon as we introduce terms like good and bad we are talking about value judgements. However, arguing that a course isn't bad because it doesn't have any pretense otherwise doesn't seem completely reasonable to me. Saying a course was bad but at least it wasn't expensive and I finished in 2.5 hours is not the same as saying it is good.

Given the choice between playing Lionhead or Streetsville for free and with no one else on the course so pace of play is determined solely by the members in your group, I would be very surprised if many TGN members would pick Streetsville. This implies there is a qualitative difference that most of us can agree on, even if we can't always define it. Don't want to go all Zen And The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance here but it is along those lines.

And I'm very much like you, I enjoy some aspect of just about every course I play - the obvious exception having been noted here already.
    Great post!
    I send pictures ~ through the mail ~ of buried treasures ~ and Humpback whales ~to famous people ~ I do not know ~ I sign "Sincerely, ~ Matthias Doe" ~ I await ~ their response...

Comment

What a great post to get people talking. As an east-end GTA guy my list has to include Annandale, Winchester, and Bushwood. Each of these facilities makes me feel that my money is more important to the owners than my enjoyment of their courses.

Comment

Royal Ashburn.

I can handle everything else.

Comment

All fair points Arthur and I don't disagree that much of it is subjective; as soon as we introduce terms like good and bad we are talking about value judgements. However, arguing that a course isn't bad because it doesn't have any pretense otherwise doesn't seem completely reasonable to me. Saying a course was bad but at least it wasn't expensive and I finished in 2.5 hours is not the same as saying it is good.

Given the choice between playing Lionhead or Streetsville for free and with no one else on the course so pace of play is determined solely by the members in your group, I would be very surprised if many TGN members would pick Streetsville. This implies there is a qualitative difference that most of us can agree on, even if we can't always define it. Don't want to go all Zen And The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance here but it is along those lines.

And I'm very much like you, I enjoy some aspect of just about every course I play - the obvious exception having been noted here already.
          Thanks and I agree with nearly all that you wrote.

Just 2 (small) caveats.

Robert Thompson has basically made it clear that he would not play Lionhead Legends regardless of the price, conditions or pace of play. So given a free round on an open Streetsville course he just might take it over LL.

Then there is Cresthaven which received some votes. But for a young or beginner golfer it is just fine and would be much more fun than say Bunker Hill. So a 'better' course for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
            Thanks and I agree with nearly all that you wrote.

Just 2 (small) caveats.

Robert Thompson has basically made it clear that he would not play Lionhead Legends regardless of the price, conditions or pace of play. So given a free round on an open Streetsville course he just might take it over LL.

Then there is Cresthaven which received some votes. But for a young or beginner golfer it is just fine and would be much more fun than say Bunker Hill. So a 'better' course for them.
            Thanks for your considered responses Arthur, once again we are in pretty close alignment here.

I don't know who Robert Thompson is but I agree that there is a likelihood someone would take the "I wouldn't play it even if it was free" stance. That's why I said 'most' of us would opt for LL, not 'all' of us. In thinking about it, however, it seems likely that we could substitute a different course, say Royal Ashburn, and get Mr. Thompson's buy in along with the others who turned down our freebie at LL. Overall, the results probably would be the same - the vast majority would agree on the 'good' course but maybe AverageJoe would join the minority in opting for poor old Streetsville. The paradigm still works, I think, even though the specific example of a 'good' course may not appeal to everyone. The fact that a some outliers (haters?, contrarians?, curmudgeons?) make a different choice again doesn't make Streetsville a good course. As Sauerkraut notes, our ideas of what is good change as we gain experience, understanding and skill; perhaps this sometimes gets to the point where we call something 'bad' that most people would consider to be good.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that there isn't a role for cheap and cheerful courses. I've never played Cresthaven but I believe you when say it fits the bill quite well. I played Oakville Exec, which is not on the list but is in the same price range as a couple of them, a few years ago and very much enjoyed it. Appealing to a particular market does not mean a course (or anything else) has to be bad but - to return to my original point of contention with you - it should also not preclude something from being judged as bad either.

Arthur, I've very much enjoyed this exchange of ideas; you've made me put a lot of thought into this and that has been a lot of fun. Its nice that we can challenge ideas and still be respectful of one another. I wish you and yours all the best over the Holidays and hope you have a great 2017.

Jayhawker, thanks for the complement. Enjoyed playing with you and Mark back in October and hope our paths cross again next season.
            Last edited by Smittyman; Dec 23, 2016, 09:31 AM.

Comment

1.Westview.....so slow and a total waste of time and money

2.Any of the Cardinal courses, including Red Crest.....unorganized and really slow

3. Richmond Hill......brutally slow

4. Nobleton Lakes.....carts only....and super slow

5. Remington Parkview......any course with power lines suck

BEST

Harbour View / Innisfil.........Silver Lakes.....Heritage Hills/Barrie

Comment

Thanks for your considered responses Arthur, once again we are in pretty close alignment here.

I don't know who Robert Thompson is but I agree that there is a likelihood someone would take the "I wouldn't play it even if it was free" stance. That's why I said 'most' of us would opt for LL, not 'all' of us. In thinking about it, however, it seems likely that we could substitute a different course, say Royal Ashburn, and get Mr. Thompson's buy in along with the others who turned down our freebie at LL. Overall, the results probably would be the same - the vast majority would agree on the 'good' course but maybe AverageJoe would join the minority in opting for poor old Streetsville. The paradigm still works, I think, even though the specific example of a 'good' course may not appeal to everyone. The fact that a some outliers (haters?, contrarians?, curmudgeons?) make a different choice again doesn't make Streetsville a good course. As Sauerkraut notes, our ideas of what is good change as we gain experience, understanding and skill; perhaps this sometimes gets to the point where we call something 'bad' that most people would consider to be good.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that there isn't a role for cheap and cheerful courses. I've never played Cresthaven but I believe you when say it fits the bill quite well. I played Oakville Exec, which is not on the list but is in the same price range as a couple of them, a few years ago and very much enjoyed it. Appealing to a particular market does not mean a course (or anything else) has to be bad but - to return to my original point of contention with you - it should also not preclude something from being judged as bad either.

Arthur, I've very much enjoyed this exchange of ideas; you've made me put a lot of thought into this and that has been a lot of fun. Its nice that we can challenge ideas and still be respectful of one another. I wish you and yours all the best over the Holidays and hope you have a great 2017.

Jayhawker, thanks for the complement. Enjoyed playing with you and Mark back in October and hope our paths cross again next season.
                Thanks and yes I enjoyed reading your well thought out postings.

There is one course that I played for the first time this year, that I could probably categorically list as 'bad' but then its conditions were execrable and one of my companions said that this was due to the drought, so I will give it the benefit of the doubt and not name it in this thread.

And I believe that there was a Muskoka course, allegedly designed by an Open Champion winner whose lay-out was found so lacking that it was closed and redesigned.

Comment

Originally posted by Back9Bogey View Post
                  1.Westview.....so slow and a total waste of time and money

BEST

.........Silver Lakes.....
                  Westview always has among the best greens, yes they've become more Pricey, but not as bad value as other courses

Silver Lakes, however is BRUTALLY slow & pretty dart expensive (at or about the same price as Westview)

fwiw, I really like BOTH of these tracks
                  Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post
                    Westview always has among the best greens, yes they've become more Pricey, but not as bad value as other courses

Silver Lakes, however is BRUTALLY slow & pretty dart expensive (at or about the same price as Westview)

fwiw, I really like BOTH of these tracks
                    When someone says Silver Lakes is the best in the GTA, they either work there and have a biased opinion, or it's the only track they've played. If one wants to witness a course with terrible drainage, then by all means play Swamp Lakes a week after a good stretch of rain and you'll see for yourself.

As for Westview, the hate-on usually stems from those who have a hard time posting a decent score. It's far from a waste of time and agree with you on the condition of the greens--have always been excellent each time I've played.

Comment

happy new year to all.

I don't usually like to comment on golf courses. Simply because, I don't think I know enough about golf yet; further, rating courses is subjective based on various factors all having to deal primarily with the common denominator (you).

However, in the interest of overcoming boredom(my own), helping fellow golfers and general overall *****ing about this past year's golf rounds, I will pipe in.

I don't really have a worst experience in golf course.
                      I will agree with several here on some of the courses mentioned, in no particular order;
                      • Turtle Creek was in a bad state this year. Greens were in rough condition, tee boxes were bad. disorganized and uninterested staff and over all condition of course i would judge as "ignored".
                      • Indian Wells the course that I love to hate. It does have potential (it's difficult/challenging) but also has some really silly holes that just ruin the course. The long rounds of 5+ hours aren't helping either, especially when players don't play from the proper tee boxes.
                      • Lakeview, the pace of play is absolutely silly here. I can't count the number of times I have left after 9 holes(despite getting the twilight rate), maybe the city does it this way so that they get their money and not as much play.
                      • BraeBen, highest round (wind howling). Lowest round (no wind). Love/hate relationship... Still think its a dog patch thought! The only course where I actually walked off mid-round. Hasn't got much better either.
                      • Hornby Glen, experience ruined primarily by their bait and switch pricing. The greens were in good shape, the fairways were below average.
                      Devlin

Comment

Originally posted by devlin View Post
                        happy new year to all.

I don't usually like to comment on golf courses. Simply because, I don't think I know enough about golf yet; further, rating courses is subjective based on various factors all having to deal primarily with the common denominator (you).

However, in the interest of overcoming boredom(my own), helping fellow golfers and general overall *****ing about this past year's golf rounds, I will pipe in.

I don't really have a worst experience in golf course.
                        I will agree with several here on some of the courses mentioned, in no particular order;
                        • Turtle Creek was in a bad state this year. Greens were in rough condition, tee boxes were bad. disorganized and uninterested staff and over all condition of course i would judge as "ignored".
                        • Indian Wells the course that I love to hate. It does have potential (it's difficult/challenging) but also has some really silly holes that just ruin the course. The long rounds of 5+ hours aren't helping either, especially when players don't play from the proper tee boxes.
                        • Lakeview, the pace of play is absolutely silly here. I can't count the number of times I have left after 9 holes(despite getting the twilight rate), maybe the city does it this way so that they get their money and not as much play.
                        • BraeBen, highest round (wind howling). Lowest round (no wind). Love/hate relationship... Still think its a dog patch thought! The only course where I actually walked off mid-round. Hasn't got much better either.
                        • Hornby Glen, experience ruined primarily by their bait and switch pricing. The greens were in good shape, the fairways were below average.
                        How is Brae Ben a dog patch? Also, what is a dog patch?
                        Keeping Score: Golf Courses 1710, Me 1

Comment

Originally posted by mtshapcott View Post
                          BraeBen is a rather unique course in that there's no other quite like it in the GTA. Hate the opening two holes, and a few others, but it has some decent ones too. The par three #7 is always a treat and the only water on the course. I've played this track at least 6-7 times over the past few years and conditions have always been adequate. And the views of the 'burbs' are actually kinda cool from up there.

The stigma that it's a (or on a) garbage dump just doesn't play any more. There is no evidence of that beyond the vent pipes, so that reference is getting very old. And it certainly shouldn't be in the top 10 worst courses.
                          – Greg

Comment

Bathurst Glen
                            Whats in the bag:
                            Titleist 910 (Fitted)
                            Titleist 915F (Fitted)
                            Taylor Made 21 Degree Dynamic Gold Stiff
                            Cobra King MB (Fitted)
                            Cleveland 588 52/56/60 (Fitted)
                            Scotty Cameron Newport Terrilium
                            Titleist Pro V1*

Comment

Originally posted by mtshapcott View Post
                              Well as I stated its all subjective.
                              I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings
                              Brae Ben is a dog patch because you have to play it when conditions are perfect and your game is in perfect condition.
                              It tries to be a links course but doesn't succeed at that. The double blind forced carries are difficult if you don't know the course. It's extremely punishing with the Out of Bound areas. God help you if the wind is blowing, actually the wind is always blowing. Drainage is weak, I guess due to the limitations of the golf course design.
                              It was a bold plan to build a golf course on top of a garbage dump, perhaps they should of planted some more trees. The experiment continues with Brae Ben, however I would give it a C- grade.
                              Devlin

Comment

Originally posted by devlin View Post

• Turtle Creek I can see (didn't play it this year)
                                • Indian Wells I understand, the 'drought' really killed them this season (played once)
                                • Lakeview (played twice...hadn't played in over 5 years)...always been busy, decent shape...really like playing there
                                • Brae Ben...not a fan, haven't played there in 3 years
                                • Hornby Glen (played twice)....I don't see what's wrong with it, moderately priced, simple layout, good pace

To each their own (which is kind of where you were going with this anyway)
                                Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X