The best public course in the GTA of 2016

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The best public course in the GTA of 2016

Royal Ashburn.

I've gotta vote for a venue that hosts the CPGA Qualifying Event, and has for years been the bane of my scoring game !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NiblickJeff View Post
      Royal Ashburn.

I've gotta vote for a venue that hosts the CPGA Qualifying Event, and has for years been the bane of my scoring game !!!!
      Don't think they've hosted it for years.

The only people who will vote for "not Osprey Valley" are those who haven't played there. Just my opinion, but those tracks are pretty hard to beat for me. Maybe Eagles Nest beats it.

Comment

I played a lot of crappy courses this year as budget was an issue. However 3 most enjoyed courses in no particular order were;

Lebovic- thanks again for the free round. Not the most challenging but pristine conditions.
        Osprey (hoot, heathlands) underpar
        Baxter Creek- not high end but certainly very enjoyable.

I guess I had a lousy golf year since these were the ONLY highlights of my golf year hopefully a better 2017
        Member of 2012, 2013, 2015 TGN Ryder Cup Team
        Member of 2014 OG Ryder Cup Team

Comment

The best public course I played in 2016 was Lebovic for sure - keep in mind though that as a budget-conscious golfer ($40-60), I doubt I'll ever be able to play courses like Osprey, Glen Abbey, Angus Glen, Eagles Nest, etc. ($100+ courses). And actually; the only reason I was able to play Lebovic was on account of the complimentary round promo, at the time...

Comment

Originally posted by TMAzng01f3R View Post
            The best public course I played in 2016 was Lebovic for sure - keep in mind though that as a budget-conscious golfer ($40-60), I doubt I'll ever be able to play courses like Osprey, Glen Abbey, Angus Glen, Eagles Nest, etc. ($100+ courses). And actually; the only reason I was able to play Lebovic was on account of the complimentary round promo, at the time...
            And you might just be disappointed if you played some of those courses, or regretting that you could have paid for 2 to 4 rounds at better 'value' courses for the fee that you paid to play one that you mentioned.

Glen Abbey for example is not by any stretch a 'bad' course. However I have rarely been more disappointed in my lifetime than I was the first time I played the Abbey. Was just not what I expected or 'value' for the money.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
              And you might just be disappointed if you played some of those courses, or regretting that you could have paid for 2 to 4 rounds at better 'value' courses for the fee that you paid to play one that you mentioned.

Glen Abbey for example is not by any stretch a 'bad' course. However I have rarely been more disappointed in my lifetime than I was the first time I played the Abbey. Was just not what I expected or 'value' for the money.

Ah; good to know! But I'm guessing that Osprey though, at least from what many have said/posted on here, appears to be the one that you can't go wrong with! I planned on doing one of those play all day passes on a random weekday but never got around to it; perhaps in 2017...

Despite the $40/60 per round per week budget, I did splurge once - spent close to just over $100 but it came with a free lunch and was for two rounds that day (a few years ago at Woodington - did both of their courses)... I suppose I could technically do a $100+ round but then I would probably only play two-three times that month; heh. Speaking of $100+ courses, is that Wooden Sticks course worth it? Seems that place is almost around $150 ish; holy smokes!

Comment

Speaking of $100+ courses, is that Wooden Sticks course worth it? Seems that place is almost around $150 ish; holy smokes!
                Yes....but, get on their mailing list for "specials"

...we picked up a deal last year for $200+tax:

1 round at each of the following courses (incl. cart & lunch)
                • Woodington
                • Westview
                • Wooden Sticks
                Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post
                  Yes....but, get on their mailing list for "specials"

...we picked up a deal last year for $200+tax:

1 round at each of the following courses (incl. cart & lunch)
                  • Woodington
                  • Westview
                  • Wooden Sticks
                  That sounds like a terrific deal. I love all 3 tracks!

@TMAz: Wooden Sticks is pricey but it does include range time + 2 meals. I enjoyed my 1 time there and the food was decent enough. We went for a friend's 50th bday and it was a good outing (but cart girls and drinks with lunch AND dinner pushed the budget way further).

Let's hope that deal the Shooter mentioned comes back again this year.
                  "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                  ...Iggy

Comment

Ah; good to know! But I'm guessing that Osprey though, at least from what many have said/posted on here, appears to be the one that you can't go wrong with! I planned on doing one of those play all day passes on a random weekday but never got around to it; perhaps in 2017...

Despite the $40/60 per round per week budget, I did splurge once - spent close to just over $100 but it came with a free lunch and was for two rounds that day (a few years ago at Woodington - did both of their courses)... I suppose I could technically do a $100+ round but then I would probably only play two-three times that month; heh. Speaking of $100+ courses, is that Wooden Sticks course worth it? Seems that place is almost around $150 ish; holy smokes!
                    Meh, I'm in the camp that it's very gimmicky. Have played it a few times and while the service is top notch, the golf course leaves little to be desired.

Comment

Originally posted by pmo09 View Post
                      +1 for Osprey Valley
                      Add me to the list of fans. The all you can play rate is a great deal.

Comment

Cherry Downs. Public now has access, is very reasonably priced, and a good test of golf. Conditioning could be better but greens are still a challenge even though they are not running as quick as they used to.

Comment

Originally posted by 54holesormore View Post
                          Osprey Valley for me this year, 48 rounds this year there in only 12 visits. My favorite days this year were at OV. For anyone who has never played, its worth the drive wherever you live.
                          You truly are a Nut; 48 rounds there?! Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by 54holesormore View Post
                            For anyone who has never played, its worth the drive wherever you live.
                            wait a sec, how about this for a catch-phrase..."it's worth the drive to Alton!"
                            Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Thanks for the kind words to all who mentioned us!

Comment

In all seriousness, Braeben*.

(* if they set it up and maintained it as a true links course)
                                Member of Cedar Brae GC

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X