• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Driver Fitting Cost

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
    Again I'm just restating what I read in a Tom Wishon article
    no worry Jasonp.
    The point of discussions( like this) is make players aware of their options, so they can take advantage of them.
    things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

[QUOTE=Ignatius Reilly;1614723]Titleist knows quite a lot about golf. Even though they don't make shafts you'd think selling a set that performs well would be in their self interest.

If they performed too well they would not sell anymore clubs
      Programmed obsolescence

Got a question for you. Have you ever played that was either too stiff or too soft for you?
      If so what were the results?

Comment

Ok dan I'd have no problem paying u 10$ per club for that. Also in that 10$ you're also frequency matching and sorting. You're completing an added feature at almost 1/3rd the cost.

Also for your price I'm sure it's built into your new build price. As thats part of ur build and a much more reasonable price. But 25$ is steep for what most places charge for pure.

I believe part of that goes directly to PURE head office.

Comment

Likely. And or paying for the Pure equipment.

I'm not sure if the PURE equipment is purchased or leased by builders.

Again I'd probably pay 25$ for it done if I was just buying a driver. Because in the grand scheme I'm likely spending 450+ already likely more if u factor in fitting cost.

Would I pay MG 25$/club ontop of their 1000$ of fees that they charge for a iron build...no way it's another 200$ ontop. Basically MG doubles the price of any OEM set.

If I ever decided to get another set of irons I'd likely get a set of Maltby heads built by dan to my TLT specs with my shaft of choice. Dan would then frequency match and FLO them. All of this would get done for under the price of a regular OEM set if not very close. That I'd pay for all day every day.

Comment

Again I'd probably pay 25$ for it done if I was just buying a driver. Because in the grand scheme I'm likely spending 450+ already likely more if u factor in fitting cost.

Would I pay MG 25$/club ontop of their 1000$ of fees that they charge for a iron build...no way it's another 200$ ontop. Basically MG doubles the price of any OEM set.

If I ever decided to get another set of irons I'd likely get a set of Maltby heads built by dan to my TLT specs with my shaft of choice. Dan would then frequency match and FLO them. All of this would get done for under the price of a regular OEM set if not very close. That I'd pay for all day every day.
            Well, with MG the cost for Pure'ing is built into the prices so unless they'll take it out, you are paying for it.

And I also get all the scientific analysis presented by TourIQ. Thing is, it's all theoretical according to a robot swinging the club. According to the theory, I shouldn't be able to hit my non-aligned clubs at all, and yet I have no problem achieving centre contact whatsoever.

You're comparing a robot, to a human. Ok, your club is perfectly aligned, but chances are the human's swing doesn't put the same move on it twice in a row anyway. Perhaps on the next swing, the misaligned shaft would've worked better. Who knows? All I'm saying is, there are merits to the tech, but in the end the golfer's ability trumps the tech. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Lob wedge View Post
              [/B]

I believe part of that goes directly to PURE head office.
              Unit is leased through SST, and they also pay a % for every club PURE'd.

Leased and cost per club is $40

Originally posted by Laicha View Post
              Well, with MG the cost for Pure'ing is built into the prices so unless they'll take it out, you are paying for it.
              Prices are $40 per club and not built into the price.

Comment

Not sure where this "$1000 fee" comes from. What they charge over and above retail is for the build (pull apart weigh, measure etc and put back together, grip ) and new shafts as well as Puring ($30 or $40). I believe the Puring machine is wired to head office an each transaction is charged and documented. MG only doubles the price if you get really expensive shafts. So much misinfo here.

Comment

You're comparing a robot, to a human. Ok, your club is perfectly aligned, but chances are the human's swing doesn't put the same move on it twice in a row anyway. Perhaps on the next swing, the misaligned shaft would've worked better. Who knows? All I'm saying is, there are merits to the tech, but in the end the golfer's ability trumps the tech. Just my opinion.
                  Here is one study:
                  PUREing shafts is a process largely unknown to golfers at large, but it might hold the key to longer, straighter shots. Find out what our testing revealed in this edition of Golf Myths Unplugged.

To me it is more a flex thing than anything else.

Let's say you purchase a shaft labeled as stiff but that particular shaft has a significant difference in frequency between the 2 planes. For example 10 cpms. If you line the spine plane to target it will play as stiff. However if you line the NBP to target it will play as a regular. So how would you like to it to be oriented?
                  Last edited by Tintin; Jan 13, 2017, 02:37 PM.

Comment

A lot of shaft manufacturers mark the spine plane on the butt of the shaft nowadays. No need to have them pured. XCaliber shafts for example.
                    SK Fibre is another where you don't even have to worry about.

Anything with +- 1-2 cpm is not worth aligning. Steel shafts do not wobble so don't bother have them pured or floed. A bend or an out of roundness or uneven walls is not a spine. It's all on the Kaufman website

Comment

Haven't read this yet. John McPhee is a prof at U of Waterloo and I'm pretty sure a tester for Golf Digest.

PDF | Player testing was conducted to assess the effects of different golf shaft alignment methods on 5-iron golf club performance. Two steel-shafted... | Find, read and cite all the research you need on ResearchGate

WITB: clubs, balls, tees, Advil and a candlestick (just in case)

Comment

Originally posted by Tintin View Post
                        Here is one study:
                        PUREing shafts is a process largely unknown to golfers at large, but it might hold the key to longer, straighter shots. Find out what our testing revealed in this edition of Golf Myths Unplugged.

To me it is more a flex thing than anything else.

Let's say you purchase a shaft labeled as stiff but that particular shaft has a significant difference in frequency between the 2 planes. For example 10 cpms. If you line the spine plane to target it will play as stiff. However if you line the NBP to target it will play as a regular. So how would you like to it to be oriented?
                        Looked at that study (reads more like an ad for Club Champion than anything) hard to take it seriously when it shows differences in carry yardage over 50, 70+ yards, which means they paid no attention to the quality of strike. That big of a range means that those golfers had wildly inconsistent deliveries, not wildly inconsistent equipment.

I've read many other studies, also coming out of Waterloo which did a much better job at collecting data and the results weren't nearly as dramatic. They noted some possible differences, but also concluded that there were too many variables to definitively say that pure'ing was better or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Tintin View Post
                          Here is one study:

I really like Matt Saternus's reviews; I've read dozens of them. Trying to pass this off as a test that proves something about equipment is ridiculous. "It ain't worth a velvet painting of a whale and dolphin getting it on."
                          One of the players in the test hits a six iron 107.6 yards on one shot and with the same club hit one 177.6 yards. All that proves is golfers are inconsistent.
                          Taylormade Stealth Plus 9o Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
                          Titleist TSR3 15o Fujikura Rombax P95x
                          Titleist TSi3 Hybrid 18 Fujikura Ventus Blue 10x
                          Titleist T200 4 Iron Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 90x
                          Titleist T100 5-PW DG AMT White X100
                          Vokey SM8 50, 54 & 58
                          Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Comment

Originally posted by TeeMoney View Post
                            I really like Matt Saternus's reviews; I've read dozens of them. Trying to pass this off as a test that proves something about equipment is ridiculous. "It ain't worth a velvet painting of a whale and dolphin getting it on."
                            One of the players in the test hits a six iron 107.6 yards on one shot and with the same club hit one 177.6 yards. All that proves is golfers are inconsistent.
                            Financial support from the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada ... I guess this is our tax dollars being put to good use.
                            Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
                            Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
                            Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Originally posted by ManFromMoffat View Post
                              Haven't read this yet. John McPhee is a prof at U of Waterloo and I'm pretty sure a tester for Golf Digest.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...lf_club_shafts
                              Overall a bogus test from a local Canadian university, and I expected much better.

This study was published back in March 2010, so I assume data collected around 2009. How precise were golf simulators at collecting data 8 years ago? Simulators are generally not as accurate as a launch monitor. The study never mentioned Measurement Systems Analysis (GRR) for each variable studied. Maybe they just went to Golftown Kitchener to collect the data.

Since the test clubs are irons, then hitting off a golf mat with no turf interaction would yield different data / results.

Why would the UoW Professor use 3 identical steel-shafted irons for their testing on the effects of spine alignment? I find it very odd they didn't test the effects of graphite shafts, considering most steel iron shafts are influenced by residual bend vs. a spine. The delta cpm frequency on a steel shaft is very low, which should indicate little benefit, before they even started their statistical testing.

I wanted to see final inspection #'s of the so called 'identical' 3 clubs, to validate they had the same frequency, loft, Swt (mass), etc. How well was the club build controlled? What flex of shaft was tested? How identical were the 3 shafts in the 3 orientations, and how well did this fit the 5 amateur golfer test pilots?

They measured the wrong 5 out of 6 variables to derive any meaningful real-world performance results, and should have also used impact tape to determine diameter at the impact zone. The missing critical variable is dispersion from target (off-line), and this was not measured ... a huge lost opportunity.

Insufficient # of test clubs for each test parameter. They randomized the golfers as they should but not the club build. Did the flex of shaft suit the 5 amateur golfers? I would rather had seen fewer golfers and additional test clubs. Did all 5 golfers have the same hand size, therefore needed the identical grip size?

They performed a single factor OFAT experiment with multiple variables measured. They should have used a fractional factorial Design of Experiments (DOE) to properly assess the main effect and 2-factor interactions. Even a screening design DOE with main effect + confounded interactions would have been much improved with less noise over what was presented in this paper.

On a + note, they did pick the right club, a flat faced 5-iron to test over the driver with bulge and roll.

Do University of Waterloo golf team members have their clubs aligned?

I wonder how much govt. funding they received to perform this experiment.

Test Plan Design was inadequate for the effects they wanted to evaluate. The technical support they received from the university Statistical Consulting Service group should have been better guided.

Test Plan not well thought out, so doomed for failure before the first ball was struck.

Take everything with a grain of salt, as I didn't get to university, but I did lecture MBA graduate students and invited back.
                              Last edited by TourIQ; Jan 14, 2017, 03:25 AM.
                              Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
                              Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
                              Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Originally posted by ManFromMoffat View Post

PDF | Player testing was conducted to assess the effects of different golf shaft alignment methods on 5-iron golf club performance. Two steel-shafted... | Find, read and cite all the research you need on ResearchGate

Good article but as Tour IQ mentionned it should have done with graphite shafts. There is very little wobble if any in most steel shafts

Originally posted by TourIQ View Post
                                I find it very odd they didn't test the effects of graphite shafts, considering most steel iron shafts are influenced by residual bend vs. a spine. The delta cpm frequency on a steel shaft is very low, which should indicate little benefit, before they even started their statistical testing.

Exactly

Looked at that study (reads more like an ad for Club Champion than anything) hard to take it seriously when it shows differences in carry yardage over 50, 70+ yards, which means they paid no attention to the quality of strike. That big of a range means that those golfers had wildly inconsistent deliveries, not wildly inconsistent equipment.

Agreed. Iron Byron testing would be best. I read somewhere that SST had purchased an IRON Byron for testing. Fact remains though. I would not play with an unbalanced golf ball nor with a club that behaves like this:

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
                                X