Got the chipping yips. HELP!!!!!

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got the chipping yips. HELP!!!!!

Hey all,
    Towards the middle of last season I started getting the yips when chipping.
    I figured it was a growing pain so I shrugged it of and thought it work itself out eventually but............ It's a new season and the darn yips are still here.
    the only problem is ,is that when I practice it's not there.I'm relaxed ,the stroke seems smooth and the ball tracks to the hole well.When it comes to game time though it gets all FU#$^D up.I dread not hitting the greens now on par threes.

Any help will do, I wanna break 80 and this is where I need to improve to do it.
    HELP!!!!!!
    WITB
    Driver:
    SMT 455 DB/Prolaunch Red
    Fairway wood
    Wishon 919 THI 3w/ GD pershing
    Hybrids:
    Wishon 331 hybrid 18/GI 335 tour
    Wishon 331 hybrid 21/GI 335 tour
    Irons:
    Bridgestone J33 4-PW CB/Accra toursteel
    Wedges:
    Wishon PCF micro tour 52,56,60
    Putter:
    Never compromise SC4

Re: Got the chipping yips. HELP!!!!!

It seems that when practicing, there's no pressure. You're totally relaxed and able to just let the shot go. Here's a suggestion for when you're practicing. Set a number that you have to chip your ball within 2 feet (from different locations) of the pin before moving to another practice routine. Say 8 straight chips before going to putting. If you get to 3 and the ball goes 5 feet past, start over. If you get to 7 and you chili-dip one, start over. Now you have some pressure. While doing this. pay attention to see if there is any tension in our hands/arms that's causing the misses. You'll be able to recognize what's causing the problems in practice and be better able to suppress them when playing on the course.
    U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

I read on a golf forum how someone changed their chipping style around the green from hitting the ball first to hitting the ground first.

I've implemented the change in my chipping and I've found that I'm much more comfortable now.

The tricky thing about short distance chipping is that you have to make such a small stroke that you lose confidense that you have enough oomph (or you have too much) to get the ball where you want it to go. This causes you to accelerate too much (or decelerate), changing the plane of your stroke, and mishitting the ball. Hitting the ground first allows you to swing with a larger stroke, eliminating most of this problem. I've also noticed that if you hit the ground first, the face seems to "scooch" under the ball and applies more spin...

Comment

Just watch me this weekend and take notes! j/k

Keep your head down and don't look up to quick (just like putting)
        Swing/accelerate through the ball, avoid deceleration/jabbing
        Keep your backswing short to minimize room for error and more follow through
        Hands before clubhead upon contact
        Take a few pratice strokes by the ball to get a feel for the texture of the grass, this should help you determine where to bottom out to avoid fat/thin chips.
        Ping G410 Plus 9*/Accra TZ5
        Ping 2014 Rapture 13*/Accra TZ6
        Ping G410 17.5*/Accra TZ X275
        Srixon Z565 3&4, Z765 5-P/Accra iCWT 95
        Ping Glide Stealth 50SS+54ES/Accra Tour 100i
        Evnroll ER2B 34”/370g
        MGI Zip Navigator AT/Sun Mountain Teton

Comment

You got that right

I follow that routine religiously, and (dare I say) chipp well
          What's in the bag
          - six pack of Bud light (slightly used)
          - pair of dirty socks
          - stinky towel
          - half a sandwich from two weeks ago
          - two used gloves from last year
          - men's cooking magazine "Golf Tarts"
          - score card which was "doctored" 19 times
          - book of 101 excuses for missing a putt
          - o yea, and bunch of clubs

Comment

This is all great advice on how to hit a crisp chip shot that can be repeated over and over again... but you also try to hit more greens j/k

If you have a few bucks to spend and some time to read, I would suggest Dave Pelz's "Short Game Bible"
            This book will take you through everything you need to know about the game from 100 yards and in...His methods are explained clearly and are illustrated.
            It has changed the way I play the game and inturn it has lowered my scores.

Good luck

Comment

A major improvement last two yrs was due to shortening back swing over time..
              I had too long back so I sometimes slowed down on follow thru on chips.
              Now I try to shorten it, but be longer and firmer thru ball. It helps.
              PING CAMO BAG...
              WEAPONS...
              SRIXON ZX5 10.5
              3W TM M2
              HYB 19 deg Callaway Epic
              5-aw Callaway Epic Forged

SW TM Milled Grind 56
              LW TM MILLED GRIND 60

PUTTER Rotation TM Spider Tour, Scotty np2 ,
              3 ball Fang, RIFE TOUR

Comment

i had the same thing happen a few seasons ago,

it was an easy fix though, all i did was make sure i hit the ball with enough force. then i added new shots to the routine, re the flop shot, oh yeah i also decided to grab a sandwedge and laid off the P that helped too. LOL

now a days though im actually able to hit greens in two and if shes off the green i just give her a little love tap hopefully within three feet of the cup
                Clubs:

Driver: Nike NDS
                Iron's:
                Nike NDS Steel Shafts
                Rescue:
                Nike CPR
                Putter:
                Nike Mallet Blue Chip
                Nike 1
                Ball:
                Nike Power Distance Super Soft

Comment

Thanks for the help guys.we'll see if it works out in the next few weeks.
                  Swing man. I won't be able to beat you this weekend.you're so lucky.And it's not beacause of the chipping.lol

I'm helping a Buddy move.
                  WITB
                  Driver:
                  SMT 455 DB/Prolaunch Red
                  Fairway wood
                  Wishon 919 THI 3w/ GD pershing
                  Hybrids:
                  Wishon 331 hybrid 18/GI 335 tour
                  Wishon 331 hybrid 21/GI 335 tour
                  Irons:
                  Bridgestone J33 4-PW CB/Accra toursteel
                  Wedges:
                  Wishon PCF micro tour 52,56,60
                  Putter:
                  Never compromise SC4

Comment

Chipping by Paul Runyan

Mr. Runyan called this technique “under-reaching the ball.” It’s quite interesting and easy to apply in the short game and has full swing applications, as well.

The Under-Reach
                    The biggest problem recreational golfers have when it comes to the short game is
                    chunked shots. To help prevent fat chips and pitches, try the under-reach technique. Begin by assuming your address position, with your arms hanging to their natural length. Choke down on the club about an inch, and hover the club just off the ground, as you get ready to execute the shot. The combination of choking the grip and hovering the club will help you guard against hitting the shot fat. When you finally make a swing, simply concentrate on contacting the bottom half of the ball.

Setting Up
                    Let’s start with the posture. With the ball positioned in the middle of your stance, assume your normal setup and allow you arms to fall downward in front of you as far as they can. Allow gravity to stretch them fully. Then, take your standard grip on the club. As you grip the club, allow the sole to rest gently on the ground. Now, grip down on the club approximately one inch. If you choke down appropriately, the clubhead should hover just above the grass. This is the under-reach to which Mr. Runyan referred. With the club just above ground level, the leading edge of the club is now located at the bottom of the golf ball.

Note: The longer the grass from which you’re playing, the more effective this technique becomes. In long grass, the ball will often sit up, making it easy to slide the clubhead underneath the ball. By hovering the club, you’ll ensure crisper, squarer contact.

Why It Works
                    To get the ball up in the air, the leading edge of the club must pass under the equator, or middle, of the golf ball. In this new address position, the leading edge of the club is well below the middle of the ball, making a square strike easier to attain. The only way to hit the shot fat is by changing your posture as you swing the club. If you remain in the same posture you established at address and maintain your spine angle, you’ll strike the ball squarely every time.

A good way to ensure that you keep your posture intact is to keep your chin up and stand tall as you execute your swing. This will also better allow your arms to swing freely and stretch out through the shot, so the club can reach the bottom of the golf ball.

Swing, Don't Hit
                    Notice how you sometimes start out upright, but bend backward as you come through the ball. This occurs because you’ve tensed up your muscles instead of letting gravity swing the club naturally. As a result, your hands have flipped at impact, decreasing the likelihood of a solid shot. More important, you’ve ruined any chance of striking down on the ball, a short game necessity.

The Swing
                    Golf in many ways is a game of opposites. For example, in order to make the ball go up, you have to hit down on it. Most players try to “lift” the ball in the air instead of striking downward and pinching the ball against the turf. These players should look at the basic design of a golf club, which typically places the hands slightly ahead of the leading edge of the clubface. This is done in order to help create the perfect impact position, one defined by the hands leading the club into the back of the golf ball. In so doing, the loft that’s built into the club lifts the ball into the air, not the hands. The under-reach technique helps you to take advantage of just that.

Of course, the club can’t do all the work by itself. It’s up to you to put it into motion. Now, before you think about moving the club, think about pace. Proper pace is the true key to short shots around the green. You never see a Tour pro rush or strike a chip with a herky-jerky motion. Most good short-game players allow the club to move in response to gravity, not to muscular effort. When golfers overuse their muscles, their grip on the club usually tightens, which can adversely affect the position of the clubface at the all-important moment of impact.

When teaching students the dynamics of a fluid, rhythmic short-game swing, I almost always refer to the following two drills. They’re easy to execute and do the best job of ingraining the sensation of the club responding to gravity while the body and hands function solely to support the clubhead. Give this pair of drills a go the next time you practice your chipping technique. Coupled with the under-reach technique, I’m sure you’ll keep those chunked chips at bay and give yourself more opportunities to get up and down and save par.

Chin Up
                    It’s absolutely critical that you have the ability to slide the leading edge of the club under the ball when executing short-game shots. And the only way to effectively slide the club under the golf ball is to give your arms plenty of room to swing. To do this, you must stand tall and keep your head up; otherwise, it’s easy to
                    skullthe shot over the green or chunk it short of the target.

Brush The Grass Drill
                    Make three continuous practice swings back and through while eyeing your target. Making rehearsal swings while looking at the target will help you instinctually determine the length and pace necessary to hit the shot the appropriate distance. Then, step up to the ball and duplicate your rehearsal swing over the golf ball. Finally, hit the chip. I think you’ll be surprised how well you’ll strike the ball and how much more fluid your swing will feel.

The Name Game
                    Think of the name of a star or celebrity who has two syllables in the first name and two syllables in the last name. (i.e., Johnny Miller, Freddy Couples, Byron Nelson). As you make your swing, say the first name on the backswing and the last name on the forward swing. Since the first and last names feature the same number of syllables, using them in time with your swing will ensure that the length and pace of your backswing matches the length and pace of your forward swing, a critical element of sound chipping. Certain song melodies can also work the same magic. Sam Snead used to hum the melody to “
                    Blue Danube,” a refrain that would unlock the fantastic rhythm of his golf swing on shots of all lengths. In the short game, too much speed and not enough rhythm can be even more detrimental. Shots around the green are all about distance control and touch. A good, relaxed tempo is crucial to achieving the desired results.

Good luck with your short-game practice. With a little work, you’ll soon strike those scary pitches and chips with more confidence and freedom and with better results.

Brush the grass drill
                    A great way to help develop more confidence on those tricky in-between shots is to use your eyes and body together. Instead of simply guessing how hard to swing, focus on the target and swing the club through the grass while trying to feel the distance. Move the club back and forth. Then, step to the ball and play the shot. Try it and you’ll be amazed at the results.
                    Last edited by Jack; May 15, 2006, 07:12 PM.

Comment

One of the best way to practice chipping under pressure it to chip with one of your buddies for something (bragging rights, beverages, whatever). It's fun, and it does put something behind it.
                      When I play golf, I always hit the ball really good, but then it always goes someplace really bad.

Comment

I gave up golf 15 years ago because of chipping yips which spread to my putting causing me to airshot puts. I thought I was going mad. I've just resarted cos my boys wanted to play and I wanted to help them along. I was a fairly handy golfer, shooting rounds of 74 or 75 when I stopped. 15 years on and its still there! However, after like a thousand chips going through every thought and theory known to mankind, I seem to have come up with something that works for me. I Look at my hands, and not the ball when I swing. I watch them smoothly going through the line towards the target and suddenly my touch seems better than ever. Then, when I do go back to looking at the ball, the yips aren't there. I may go back to looking at the ball on the course, but right now I'm enjoying watch my hand go slowly and smoothly through the line. Good luck from Wales..

Comment

I think as a quick fix for chipping woes,the club face and glove hand knuckle line should be on the same diagonal(face open) and more importantly held in the palm of the hand as opposed to fingers for full swing.Also have the ball played off the back foot.This may prevent the club turning over and the flipping action.

Comment

Is it not 'generally accepted' that you position the ball opposite the right big toe (for us right-handers) for chipping?

Regards,
                            Dan
                            What's in the bag......

Big Bertha V w Attas Rockstar
                            TEE Fairway Wood
                            Razr 4 and 5 Hybrid
                            TLT'd Srixon Z745's 6-PW MODUS3 TOUR 105
                            Scor 4161 Wedges

Odyssey Works Versa

Comment

"Two Chips" Chen

Does anyone know what causes the TC Chen shot? (ie hitting the ball with your club, for a second stroke, shortly after the ball has left your club face)

I have been playing for over 40 years, and last year (during a tournament), I did it for the first time.

Since then, I have managed to do it occasionally while practising indoors over the winter.

Any thoughts?

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X