Collapse

Favourite Public Course within 1 hour of Toronto

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite Public Course within 1 hour of Toronto

Part of my dad's birthday was a round to a really nice course and at first I wanted to go to glen abbey but to be honest I think there's some much nicer courses I could go to. I was looking at Copper Creek, Eagles Nest, Osprey Valley, Wooden Sticks, etc. Does anyone know the best times to play these courses so that it's not a terribly slow round and me and my dad can enjoy it.

Thanks for the help!
    WITB:
    Titleist 915 D2 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Black 70s
    Taylormade M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD DI 7s
    Mizuno JPX-850 18*
    Titleist 712u 21* w/ KBS C-Taper S
    Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 5-PW w/ True Temper XP 105 S
    Titleist SM5 52*, 56*, 60*
    SC Newport 2 w/ Superstroke 2.0

Re: Favourite Public Course within 1 hour of Toronto

Osprey, osprey, Osprey!

Comment

Originally posted by Jstrom View Post
      Part of my dad's birthday was a round to a really nice course and at first I wanted to go to glen abbey but to be honest I think there's some much nicer courses I could go to. I was looking at Copper Creek, Eagles Nest, Osprey Valley, Wooden Sticks, etc. Does anyone know the best times to play these courses so that it's not a terribly slow round and me and my dad can enjoy it.
      Thanks for the help!
      If it's for pure golf then Osprey Valley, with its 3 courses to choose from, do a SEARCH above for full details on which one would be the most suitable for you and your dad. BTW, Osprey is a sponsor here and some real deals are to be had on long week ends.

If you want to do the Full Monty then it has to be Wooden Sticks, Osprey catering is pretty basic.

For the best times just call the courses and ask, they both would be more than happy to fill any slow periods.
      Last edited by 4underthru9; Jul 26, 2016, 12:51 AM.
      Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Have yet to play Osprey this year, seems Osprey is mostly #1 to the rest but while I haven't experienced Osprey my list will be:

1. Copetown
        2. Glen Cedars
        3. Watson's (recently played it new management is doing good work)
        4. Westview
        5. Cherry Downs
        6. Bond Head South
        7. Bond Head North
        8. Ballantrae
        9. St. Andrew's Valley
        10. Kedron Dells
        Last edited by imAnewbie; Jul 26, 2016, 07:03 AM.
        Cobra King F7
        Cobra Bio Cell+ 12.5
        Cobra Bio Cell+ 16*
        Cobra Amp Pro 6-AW + KBS C-Tapers S
        Cobra Tour Trusty Dual (56/60)
        Bettinardi Studio 6

Comment

Originally posted by kich View Post
          Osprey, osprey, Osprey!
          This.
          Also,Eagles Nest is a great track, and
          Bond Head's 2 courses are favourites of mine (assuming they're still public)

Comment

Ballantrae is a good bet too. Fun course. Nice layout. A good time playing for sure
            "That, had neither the furtherance, nor the towardance".....Feherty

Sod Beaters:
            Titleist 915D3 9.5 Diamana Ka'li S
            Titleist 915F 15° Diamana Blue S+ 70
            Titleist 910H 19° Diamana Ka'li S
            Titleist AP2 5-PW Nippon 950 GS Stiff
            Vokey Raw Black SM6 56, 60
            Scotty Newport 2 Select 33"

Comment

Not sure but CC, EN, WS may be busier on weekdays than weekends. Call them and ask. Osprey is likely busier on weekends.

Comment

Thanks for the help!
                Thanks to all for the recommendations!

We'd love to see you and your father, Jstrom. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask here or by private message.

In terms of a faster round, weekdays tend to be less busy and therefore faster, but with three courses, even on a busy weekend you can ask at the clubhouse which course has the lightest traffic and you should be ok.

Comment

Thanks for the help!
                  What are your priority criteria?
                  1. Course lay-out
                  2. Course conditions
                  3. Amenities
                  4. Catering/food
                  5. Price
                  6. Distance
                  7. Pace of pay
                  8. Walkability
                  9. Length/slope rating/difficulty

All of these would impact both my decision and my recommendations. For example for one of my past playing partners, having suitable washroom facilities (not a port-a-potty) available at key intervals was crucial. Hence both Mill Run and Ballantrae which had proper 'built' facilities along the course.

Comment

Another vote for Osprey. Or Golf Shangri-la as I call it. On a weekday morning you may not have a course to yourself but it will probably feel like you do. For pure golf it can't be beat. If dining and proximity to T.O are important and price is not then maybe Eagles Nest, but only maybe.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                    X