Toronto Golf Nuts - Greater Toronto Area Golf Forum  

Go Back   Toronto Golf Nuts - Greater Toronto Area Golf Forum > Golf Discussion Forum > Rules and Etiquette
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old Apr 18, 2017, 02:00 PM   #101
Pingnut
Greenskeeper

Default Re: Playing Through in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank steer View Post
what are people's thoughts of just skipping a hole ?
Its pretty obvious the bottleneck group isn't thinking about etiquette of waving anyone through, so they won't complain seeing you ahead of them on the next hole You're only frustrating yourself with the expectation that people will behave the way you want them to...just like a marriage

btw, give yourself a par for the skipped hole of course
I don't like the idea of just skipping a hole, but I have on many occasions when playing twillight, skiped a section of holes (and hit them later) or go back and replay a section of holes when I hit a log jam..
TM M2 tour 4-PW NS Pro
Cally X-Forged 50,56,60
Nike method MC3i

Osprey Valley Century Club
100 holes - May 2, 2016
Pingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2017, 02:19 PM   #102
Ignatius Reilly
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingnut View Post
I don't like the idea of just skipping a hole, but I have on many occasions when playing twillight, skiped a section of holes (and hit them later) or go back and replay a section of holes when I hit a log jam..
I'm pretty adamant about playing 18 if that's what I've paid for.

BUT, I'll skip a hole and get it later, or play a number of holes out of sequence, or skip a couple of holes and play some different-but-similar ones to fill out the round.

I've pretty much only done this at OV where there's almost always a way of making it work, and I know the layout and shortcuts pretty well. I'm not a cart guy, but it's much easier when in a cart... And I've only done it on solo rounds...
Old Apr 18, 2017, 02:31 PM   #103
WDM1980
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank steer View Post
what are people's thoughts of just skipping a hole ?
Its pretty obvious the bottleneck group isn't thinking about etiquette of waving anyone through, so they won't complain seeing you ahead of them on the next hole You're only frustrating yourself with the expectation that people will behave the way you want them to...just like a marriage

btw, give yourself a par for the skipped hole of course
I did that with a buddy once - we were on the fairway and had been waiting on these guys to let us through for three holes. We decided on a "good-good" - gave each other the par. That was the 4th on the Middle 9 at Westview. I think I have only legitimately parred it once.
Adams Pro 18 ATX, Idea Pro A12 20 NV S
Titleist AP2 4-PW Project X 6.0
Vokey SM5 54, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2
WDM1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:11 AM   #104
Nosechug
Low Handicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
The marshal should facilitate playing through in that case, rather than having them pick up, don't you think?
Playing through won't help in this case because the course is still backed up behind them. It will help the group directly behind, but the rest of the course still suffers. If they are moved up, the groups behind can start to get things moving, which is the goal. To keep things moving on the course and avoid too many long waits in between shots. The odd back up, especially on weekends or in prime time can be expected. What we are trying to eliminate is a backed up course due to one slow group.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:22 PM   #105
blackhawk
Low Handicapper

The main issue is probably that no golf course wants to risk losing business from these slow/selfish golfers, as their dollar counts as much as anyone else's.

Its either short-sighted business approach (if they put in the effort to make a course where golfers would be able to regularly play in 4 hrs or less, more would come!), or there are a hell of a lot more "leisure golfers" out there and we are the minority that actually want golf to be played in a reasonable amount of time.

The marshals typically do not have power to move slow groups up a hole, at least I've never seen it on a public course. At my private course I have definitely seen it and thankfully so.

The WORST is when the slow people take up the early AM times!! ugh. Usually unspoken rule that if you play early, you should play fast. I played at Remington the other day, 8:24 tee, and the 8:15 group was 2 holes behind the group in front by hole 4. No joke. THey wouldn't let us through (they were a 4, we were 3, and 2 holes open in front of them behind another 3). Agonizing day...waited on every. single. shot.
blackhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2017, 09:08 PM   #106
duffer_mcmulligan
Low Handicapper

It may be different between public and private courses, but where I have played a public course early, I am always told about pace of play, expected round time, etc. Basically, if you are first out of the gate, you have a responsibility to play in 4 hours or less. Preferably, 3 1/2, IMO. Some new " resort " courses with mandatory carts, long green to tee, etc are the exception, possibly.

We walk at my home course. While we ballot for weekend/holiday tee times, the pros know who is quick and schedule accordingly. First foursomes out are max 3.5 hours. Some can be done in 3. Last summer, I slotted in with a twosome following what turned out was a threesome. Behind two foursomes. On 6 we joined up, played as a 5 some for last four holes and were on the groups in front. I peeled off at 9 leaving a foursome to finish the back. Age does not matter. My dad and I played in a threesome walking behind four women, minimum age 75. We waited a bit in 1, by third hole, they were gone. We were done in 3.5 hours, they must have been 310. They were in carts.

In Britain, I believe matches are a lot shorter as they play a lot more match play. My buddies Dad was a member at Muirfield. He and his buddy stayed two nights at the clubhouse (max 2 Nights) , played a day away and came back Friday night. Saturday is the members from Edinborough (misspelled) play 36. Alternate shot two man teams in AM, two man match play in afternoon. They were invited to play in the morning, but they wanted to play their own ball. " If ye be wanting to play, ye will be playing alternate shot". They played alternate shot. Had lunch and then played the afternoon. Alternate shot was done in under 2 1/2 hours. The second to hit on a hole was waiting half way down the fairway.

I find the big time wasters when on the course: when you get to your ball, know your club, have your glove on, pull the club. 2. Too many practise swings. One, max, unless you are getting a feel for a chip or pitch. 3. Putting. While others are putting, scope out your putt. When it is your turn, you should have your line picked out, step up to ball , align, waggle and take a weight stroke, then final alignment and pull the trigger. Looking at a putt four times from all directions should be done while others are putting and lining up. No single shot should take more than 30 seconds. Ready golf as well.

If I am a foursome, and open half a hole in front, a twosome pressing from behind gets to play through. It can be done efficiently

I hate slow play. Abhor it.
TM XFT 52.08* and 58.12*
TM Rossa Daytona 34"
duffer_mcmulligan is offline   Reply With Quote