Toronto Golf Nuts - Greater Toronto Area Golf Forum  

Go Back   Toronto Golf Nuts - Greater Toronto Area Golf Forum > Golf Discussion Forum > The Local Pub
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old Apr 20, 2017, 04:31 AM   #51
Jeffc
Tour Pro

Default Re: Time to replace the Wife's car - suggestions in a similar class?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Canuck View Post
Exactly why used can be a good deal. This one has 11K on it and is selling for close to 60% of sticker price. The reason they may depreciate more is that there is not much demand because some people are put off by the boxy look. However in a number of places I am seeing that people who have them really love them. We'll have this car until depreceation is not really a factor.

My Ford buddy used to be at a GM dealer and put me in my current 2013 Silverado. I am quite happy with both the truck and with the deal he hooked me up on it.

Anyway she/we have to like the car (driving, comfort, etc.) first.
If you like it that is all that matters. Buying used with low km's at a greatly reduced price is the way to go IMHO. Let someone else pay the depreciation, you are getting an almost new car at 60% of the cost.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 06:36 AM   #52
ecgr2035
Scratch Golfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy1983 View Post
Were known... late 90's were solid,current larger engines as well as the WRX/STI line as the blocks are solid for the most part. The class action lawsuit has wreaked havoc on Subaru resale. With that being said... 2016/2017 models are trending Subaru for a rebound.
The 2017 auto edition of Consumer Reports rated the car brands in terms of reliability and road test; the top 5 brands are as follows:

1 Audi
2 Porsche
3 BMW
4 Lexus
5 Subaru

Subaru is in good company.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cars-...vehicles-2017/
ecgr2035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2017, 08:07 AM   #53
Marty Canuck
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjaxGolf View Post
Love my Silverado!

I think you might have add "we" by mistake...
No there are times when I do have to drive it too. So "She" first then "we" (me) second.
Marty Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2017, 01:28 PM   #54
loud
Scratch Golfer

Seven seaters? Honda Pilot, Acura MDX, Volvo XC90, Toyota Highlander, Toyota 4Runner, Mazda CX-9. Coming down the pipe soon will be offerings from both VW and Subaru.
loud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2017, 02:40 AM   #55
hammy1983
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecgr2035 View Post
The 2017 auto edition of Consumer Reports rated the car brands in terms of reliability and road test; the top 5 brands are as follows:

1 Audi
2 Porsche
3 BMW
4 Lexus
5 Subaru

Subaru is in good company.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cars-...vehicles-2017/

again I said they are rebounding in 2016/2017. Even consumer reports notes the issues Subaru was having

"From year to year we see movements in brand rankings because of changes in reliability and new road tests. Subaru dropped from second to fifth place because the previously very reliable Legacy and Outback are now rated only average, and the WRX/STI dropped to below average. "

No one can argue the fact that Subaru dropped the ball regarding engine issues whether your referring to the 2.5 head gasket issue or the successful class action lawsuit in the US regarding their poor approach to crap bottom ends.
Irons - 4-AW RSI1 Stiff
Wedge - 56 MD tour grind
Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2/Taylormade OS Daytona
hammy1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:59 PM   #56
ecgr2035
Scratch Golfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy1983 View Post
again I said they are rebounding in 2016/2017. Even consumer reports notes the issues Subaru was having

"From year to year we see movements in brand rankings because of changes in reliability and new road tests. Subaru dropped from second to fifth place because the previously very reliable Legacy and Outback are now rated only average, and the WRX/STI dropped to below average. "

No one can argue the fact that Subaru dropped the ball regarding engine issues whether your referring to the 2.5 head gasket issue or the successful class action lawsuit in the US regarding their poor approach to crap bottom ends.
Subaru came in 5th of 31 car brands. The four above it are all luxury brands. If you interpret that as dropping the ball then I guess we should agree to disagree.
ecgr2035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2017, 06:12 AM   #57
Marty Canuck
Tour Pro

Well we are going to check out the Ford Flex this afternoon. If she likes it enough it will probably be a done deal.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 03:36 PM   #58
Marty Canuck
Tour Pro

So we drove a Flex, which was really nice. Then decided to try an Edge and it was loaded with all the coolest doodads. It was also a new, old-stock 2015 (194 km on the odometer) and the deal was too good too pass up. Priced like it had been driven for 2 years. Bought it.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 04:51 PM   #59
jburns
Tour Pro

Quote:
So we drove a Flex, which was really nice. Then decided to try an Edge and it was loaded with all the coolest doodads. It was also a new, old-stock 2015 (194 km on the odometer) and the deal was too good too pass up. Priced like it had been driven for 2 years. Bought it.
Great deal.... I have a Flex and actually just traded it in on.... another Flex!

About to do the same for my escape but looking heavily at the F150. I also like the edge alot.
PING G30 19* Fairway
PING G30 26* Hybrids
PING Karsten 6-SW
PING Glide 60 ES
PING Karsten TR Anser #5
TLT'd @ Dan's Custom Golf
jburns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2017, 05:55 PM   #60
Marty Canuck
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburns View Post
Great deal.... I have a Flex and actually just traded it in on.... another Flex!

About to do the same for my escape but looking heavily at the F150. I also like the edge alot.
Yeah, got an Edge Platinum and it has all the premium options for the Platinum trim level too. Pretty sweet. Love the cooled front seats!
Old Apr 22, 2017, 06:33 PM   #61
dmcdam
Tour Pro

Quote:

Warning - once you drive a truck you'll never go back to a car. I'm done my 3 year lease this November and will likely buy out my 2014 F-150 as the km's are very low.

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
Srixon Star XV
Ogio Grom bag
dmcdam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2017, 05:40 AM   #62
Cowboy
Tour Pro

2015 Edge Titanium still in stock!? If you were friends with that guy before, you are his BEST friend now! Glad you found the right one for you.
4-A: Callaway Apex Combo, Project X LZ 5.5
Wedges: TM TP 54/60-ATV, DG Spinner Wedge
Putter: SC Sqaureback No. 1
Bench: Ping Anser UST VTS TourSPX Hybrid Silver 75R
RCGA Factor: 11.6 (75 up to....)
Cowboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2017, 05:54 AM   #63
duffer_mcmulligan
Low Handicapper

Quote:
To add some perspective on what we need.

Most of our kids have moved away now. 18 year old daughter going to school in the fall. Our 22 YO Autistic son will likely be with us until we're no longer around. We have Yellow Lab dog and in 2 weeks we're getting another.

My family has a cottage. We go up a lot in the summer. We need space for dogs, sometimes a kid or two and/or a friend of kid and all the stuff (food, clothes, some gear) we need to haul. It is shared with other family and is also water access so when we go we take everything we need. Can't really leave much there. Food gets used/tossed. No place to keep extra clothes and any gear if left invariably gets used / damamged by someone.

My wife works for me and sometimes uses her car as a delivery vehicle. It depends how much there is. If needed I do drive a Silverado and we can use that when we need even more space.

Mostly she likes a vehicle that she can get in and out of comfortably with her bad knees. She likes a vehicle with some size but not as big as a 1/2 ton truck which she doesn't mind driving but hates parking.

With her Traverse once in a while when we do have to move 6 people it is convenient to have all that seating. They claim it seats 7 but you are not putting 3 adults in the back row.

We're also past "mini-van" days. Had our share. Probably not going there again unless we see something special in a Honda Odyssey.

So there's a little more info.
We have similar needs, kids out or at university, cabin in mountains, two dogs. Friend owns a Ford dealership and I am likely going the Explorer route, likely loaded with all the toys. The deal he is gonna give me makes it possible. My 2007 G35 at 135k is still is awesome shape and doesn't cost much, but we need the hauling, and gave the '04 Sienna to our daughter. She needs it to haul her partner's stand up bass. Wifes' 2008 Volvo v50 wagon is just too small but she loves driving it and won't drive anything larger.

An old friend, who has owned Cayenne's, Range Rovers and BMW x5s currently drives a Hyundai Sante Fe and loves it. I rented one in Palm Springs last fall and it was awesome. Need the sport version if you want the third row seats. Back seats very roomy.

My Dad bought a 2010 Nissan Rogue as a vehicle for his place in Palm Springs. The 4-cylinder engine is a little weak, but cruised OK on the I-10. Got a little buffeted by the winds in the valley. Upgraded suspension may help stability, but don't know. Good room for storage and the back seats are very comfortable legroom wise for 6 footers.
TM XFT 52.08* and 58.12*
TM Rossa Daytona 34"
duffer_mcmulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2017, 05:57 AM   #64
Marty Canuck
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
2015 Edge Titanium still in stock!? If you were friends with that guy before, you are his BEST friend now! Glad you found the right one for you.
Yeah it's pretty sweet!
Old Apr 23, 2017, 06:02 AM   #65
duffer_mcmulligan
Low Handicapper

Quote:
Yeah it's pretty sweet!
Sounds like a heckuva deal! How was the interior room compared to the Explorer?
TM XFT 52.08* and 58.12*
TM Rossa Daytona 34"
duffer_mcmulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2017, 06:28 AM   #66
jburns
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcdam View Post
Warning - once you drive a truck you'll never go back to a car. I'm done my 3 year lease this November and will likely buy out my 2014 F-150 as the km's are very low.
There have been so many times when I said... "I wish I had a truck" that I figured it's about time. I almost traded in the Flex on one but the Flex is such a huge hit in the family (my wife loves it) we grabbed another since it can tow, carry 7 people, etc).

I don't need anything fancy and since it's usually just me and the dogs... sometimes the kids if I grab them from school... I don't even need the supercrew. Hoping to get to the dealership next week.
PING G30 19* Fairway
PING G30 26* Hybrids
PING Karsten 6-SW
PING Glide 60 ES
PING Karsten TR Anser #5
TLT'd @ Dan's Custom Golf
jburns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2017, 07:19 AM   #67
dmcdam
Tour Pro

Quote:
There have been so many times when I said... "I wish I had a truck" that I figured it's about time. I almost traded in the Flex on one but the Flex is such a huge hit in the family (my wife loves it) we grabbed another since it can tow, carry 7 people, etc).

I don't need anything fancy and since it's usually just me and the dogs... sometimes the kids if I grab them from school... I don't even need the supercrew. Hoping to get to the dealership next week.
I got talked into it by a buddy who drives one. When our family grew to 4 I thought we were headed for a minivan. He explained to me that vans are people movers and we only had 4 people. Our problem is we had a lot of crap to move, and nothing moves crap better than a pickup. It's actually been a dream family vehicle for us.

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
Srixon Star XV
Ogio Grom bag
dmcdam is online now   Reply With Quote