Collapse

Aimpoint Express

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Aimpoint Express

You can get your read while others are reading their putt if you're not first to go. It really is quicker than any other method of reading putts as long as you trust it.

Comment

Originally posted by P25 View Post
      That's a problem with the player, not the method.
      perhaps, but I almost always see it as an additional green reading step, not a stand alone step so that adds time. Maybe as you say people don't trust it so do both
      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

I took the AimPoint session and unfortunately it does not work for me.

A huge part of the system is to read the slope using your feet. I cannot read the slope with my feet to save my life.

Having said that, if you can correctly gauge the slope and use the fingers to find your AimPoint, you will make more putts. for one practice round, i used an inclinometer on my phone to find the right slope, put the system in use and my putting was off the charts.

If someone can post some youtube links of how to best calculate slope for AimPoint, that would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyMark View Post
          Has anyone ever tried both the Aimpoint point approach and Dave Stockton's approach? Obviously not at the same time.

I like Stockton's approach, read the putt, step in and make the stroke. I'm no expert on Aimpoint, but the process seems to leave a lot opportunities for second guessing.
          These two methods are not compatible
          I was taught AP and tried it for a season and it did help my reading and I use my feet more often now but I didn't stay with the "aiming " part using 1,2,3 fingers etc cause for putts above the hole I like to aim at a spot as close to the ball as possible as described by Stockton I didn't like finding a AP certain fingers from the edge of the cup

Comment

The biggest misconception about AimPoint is that it slows play. This is definitely not the case! It is by far the fastest way to read a green and read it accurately. It is a very simple method to learn and to put into play.
            We will be offering clinics at the Academy over the entire summer. Please call or email us for any inquiries. We will be offering discounts to the Toronto Golf Nuts community.

Comment

To to clarify, the original method called "Aimpoint" was in fact very tedious and for most people it would slow you down.

The updated version, which is what is now being taught, is called "Aimpoint Express" It is a much more streamlined approach and it works well and it should never result in slow play.

I am a big fan of Aimpoint Express and the green reading skills the method teaches. Everyone would benefit from taking the course, even if you ultimately decide not to formally use the methodology. A byproduct of taking the course is you become much more aware what the green is doing (by using your feet, and knees).

If you do fully adopt the methodolgy it can be a game changer and it provides a real opportunity to improve your putting. But it is like everything else to see results you have to invest some time.
              Last edited by ctv1; May 4, 2017, 10:23 PM.

Comment

One would think that 'great putters' would not need to take this course.

It's the rest of us..amateur putters...that would benefit from knowing where to aim.

Anyway, I'm taking it next week so I guess I'll see if it is useful.

Bladerunner
                Last edited by Mule56; May 7, 2017, 05:22 AM. Reason: Removed deleted quote

Comment

Comment

If I have a double or triple breaking 40 foot putt do you stand in 3-4 places to get the various slopes?
                    MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post
                      If I have a double or triple breaking 40 foot putt do you stand in 3-4 places to get the various slopes?
                      Double is 2 spots. I don't recall covering the triple breaker in the clinic, nor do I recall the last time I had one.

Comment

Does anyone know what if any aimpoint clinics are scheduled for the GTA in the near future? Tried to check out their website but it only showed a few sessions in Alberta.

Also any feedback from people who took the session last year or before? From previous comments it is very useful if you can trust it.

At at this point I’ll try anything .

Comment

Comment

Was listening to a Podcast with Geoff Mangum (PuttingZone) and they got onto the topic of Aimpoint Express....have a listen (from 14:45)

Putting frustrates every golfer, no matter their skill level. If you’ve ever seen a Pro on the Tour miss a 2 foot putt, you know that everyone is susceptible...

I think AIMPOINT Express is another system that gives the putter some confidence in the line. Any confidence is better than none. Once the line is "determined", they can focus on speed. The reason it "works" is you take out some doubt from one of the two main factors ie line (whether it's right or not is irrelevant as long as you believe it to be right) and then focus on speed.

IMO speed is everything outside of 15 feet (PGA pros likely hit less than 10% at that distance...they only hit 5% at 20 feet and out). Line is less important than speed to being a good/great putter...if you get the speed right, you can be four feet off on the line and still only have a four footer left on your next putt.

If you have confidence, you will putt better....simple.

BTW Geoff has some very interesting ideas on how you body gauges speed. Standing over a putt and turning you head only on the line to the hole is a gauge your body uses to convert that to speed (around 4:30 mark)

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                            X