which fairway wood

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: which fairway wood

Originally posted by 73monte View Post
    These are simply the best fairways ever made.
    Based on what criteria?
    MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post
      Based on what criteria?
      Sorry, should have been more specific............IMHO!!
      Bridgestone J715 10.5
      Adams Tight Lies Titanium 13.5
      Adams Super LS 17d.
      Mizuno JPX-850 forged 4-PW
      Scratch 8620 53d.
      Callaway X-forged 58d.
      Odyssey White Hot Tour #2
      Srixon Q-star tour

Comment

TM M2 2016. I am blown away by how good/long this thing is.
        Agreed, I use it off the tee more than my driver.

Comment

If the Callaway doesn't work out, then I would highly recommend either the Adams super LS, or XTD. These are simply the best fairways ever made. The Tight Lies Titanium would rank as well.

To be honest, I could easily still game the Mizuno MP titanium I bought from you some years back. I actually still bring that out for fun sometimes and can't believe how long that thing is.
          Ha. I regret selling that. I like its look and the loft was perfect. The shaft is a touch rough though given options available now.

Comment

3 great choices:

Taylormade - they tend to hit the ball low

Callaway - Just as long as Taylormade, though Callaway launches higher (Callaway is normal height, TM launches low)

Cobra King Limited - best kept secret, great club (for most people it has best center of gravity location of any 3 wood)

Comment

TM M2 2016. I am blown away by how good/long this thing is.
              hands down. the best wood i've ever owned. got it this year and im also blown away on every shot.
              AIR HYBRID II on CG 3.5
              Epic 9.5° Fujikura Pro Green 62 S
              917 F2 15° Even Flow Blue 75 S
              Stealth 3H 19° Ventus Red 7 S

P770 4-P Dynamic Gold 105 VSS S
              MG2 50.09 | 54.11 | 58.08 Dynamic Gold S200
              ER1 Blade
              TP5x

Comment

If the Callaway doesn't work out, then I would highly recommend either the Adams super LS, or XTD. These are simply the best fairways ever made. The Tight Lies Titanium would rank as well.
                I can vouch for the Tight Lies Titanium 2 in RH but a dud in LH.

I never tried the Super LS or the XTD, but the Tight Lies Ti2 has a place in my bag for many years.

In the driver offering, the XTD was superior to the Super LS for the heads we tested.
                Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
                Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
                Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Of all the ones I have access to, this one is the best.
                  Attached Files
                  In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
                  Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, KuroKage 606 S
                  TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
                  TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
                  PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
                  TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
                  Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
                  TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

tight dispersion could just be the shaft and not the head design may be ? But yeah I have the XR 4 wood and its very dependable !

Originally posted by thekathrynorchard View Post
                    Well I did my best to go in informed and without preconceptions hardwired in me and left with something I never would have guessed: A Callaway XR16!

It had the tightest dispersion and by far the longest distance.

The Cobra F7 and Baffler F7 were all over the place. The F7 was super short for me as well.

The M2 was a second in distance, but was all over. We tried a bunch of shafts and bizarrely, I faded a lot of the balls with it. I was very surprised as I normally fight a pretty big draw.

At any rate, I wasn't a huge Callaway fan but the numbers (and feel) made my choice obvious.

Thanks for your tips to allow me to narrow things down!

Comment

Originally posted by TourIQ View Post

I never tried the Super LS or the XTD, but the Tight Lies Ti2 has a place in my bag for many years.

In the driver offering, the XTD was superior to the Super LS for the heads we tested.
                      Agreed on the Tight lies TI2. Only reason I rely on it over the others is the sole design.

I had the XTD driver for awhile, but just couldn't tame it. I think it was just too big. Great feeling driver though.
                      Bridgestone J715 10.5
                      Adams Tight Lies Titanium 13.5
                      Adams Super LS 17d.
                      Mizuno JPX-850 forged 4-PW
                      Scratch 8620 53d.
                      Callaway X-forged 58d.
                      Odyssey White Hot Tour #2
                      Srixon Q-star tour

Comment

Agreed on the Tight Lies Ti2. Only reason I rely on it over the others is the sole design.

I had the XTD driver for awhile, but just couldn't tame it. I think it was just too big. Great feeling driver though.
                        I love the sole design too, so easy to hit. When I use either the 3W or 5W off the tee deck, I do not even use a tee
                        Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
                        Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
                        Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

To be honest, I could easily still game the Mizuno MP titanium I bought from you some years back. I actually still bring that out for fun sometimes and can't believe how long that thing is.
                          Originally posted by TourIQ View Post

I too am on the XTD-product train. I've tried a few but always go back to Adams for consistency. I had an XR, distance was similar on pure hits, but dispersion varied when they weren't.

My playing partner has the M2...he has gained a little length vs his SLDR, but it's very marginal.

As everyone mentioned...shaft will be key to your results.

Comment

Personally Ping30 works for me, but I've heard great things about the new Epic woods.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
                            X