Collapse

Rules of Golf - Modernization

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules of Golf - Modernization

On Wednesday March 1, the R&A, USGA and Golf Canada, as the 3 organizations making up the Joint Rules Committee, will release details of the simplified Rules of Golf beginning in 2019.

Should be good dialogue and debate around the Golf World.

Re: Rules of Golf - Modernization

Yeah, there will be some discussion around the golfing world, but TGN members usually don't have much comment about rules changes ....

Comment

Originally posted by OKHC View Post
      Yeah, there will be some discussion around the golfing world, but TGN members usually don't have much comment about rules changes ....
      This link is to a page of rules changes, whereas the description of this forum is "discuss how to apply official rules and local course rules to your game".

Since these rules are not yet finalized or established, one cannot apply them to one's game. Therefore, this thread should IMMEDIATELY (if not sooner) be moved to the appropriate forum.

I just wanted to get that in before anyone else.

Anyway, I look forward to it.

I'm very much in favour of any attempt to simplify, recognizing that the current rules and Decisions are the result of many many many hours of thought. Regardless, they've become an indigestible hot mess for the vast majority of players.

A quotation in the link summarizes the issue perfectly:

“It’s very challenging for competitors in a sport where, for the most part, there are no officials, how are you supposed to play by the Rules if you don’t know or can’t understand them?It’s tough to do the right thing if you don’t know what the right thing is.”
      "Confusion" will be my epitaph
      ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

A quotation in the link summarizes the issue perfectly:

“It’s very challenging for competitors in a sport where, for the most part, there are no officials, how are you supposed to play by the Rules if you don’t know or can’t understand them?It’s tough to do the right thing if you don’t know what the right thing is.”
        the rules are complex no doubt. I remember back in the late 80's when I started playing more than once or twice every few years and got serious about golf, became better and started to compete in tournaments club and Ontario Am qualifiers . I had no real concept of the minutia and complexity. I got a copy of the RCGA rule book and read it every night and carried it in my bag. I think I still have that outdated version in my one of my golf bags some 30 years later.

not all are going to be as OCD as I am or was, so simplification is a logical progression.
        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally Posted by Ignatius Reilly

This link is to a page of rules changes, whereas the description of this forum is "discuss how to apply official rules and local course rules to your game".

Since these rules are not yet finalized or established, one cannot apply them to one's game. Therefore, this thread should IMMEDIATELY (if not sooner) be moved to the appropriate forum.

Sorry to have broken a rule Iggy. You must be a certified Rules Official.

In any event, by this time tomorrow the changes will be known and there will be lots of talk. I've seen them and they are pretty interesting.

BTW, next time, where would you suggest starting a thread like this?

Comment

Originally posted by ThruTheGreen View Post

In any event, by this time tomorrow the changes will be known and there will be lots of talk. I've seen them and they are pretty interesting.

He was joking. The was your clue.

WIT SM C130 Cart Bag:
            TM SLDR 10.5*
            TM SLDR 3W & TM V-Steel 5W
            TM Rescue 22*
            4-PW Mix of Mizuno MX-25's and TM RBZ's
            Wedges: Titleist SM 53* & 56*
            Ping Ketch
            Ball: What's on sale?

Comment

Originally posted by ThruTheGreen View Post
              This link is to a page of rules changes, whereas the description of this forum is "discuss how to apply official rules and local course rules to your game".Since these rules are not yet finalized or established, one cannot apply them to one's game. Therefore, this thread should IMMEDIATELY (if not sooner) be moved to the appropriate forum.

Here on this golf forum the rules are many and quite complicated, but pulling somebody's chain is not one of them, yet.
              Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

I have no clue what changes may be proposed, but I am interested to hear how they relate to 'modernization'. Are they oriented to some or all of leading edge measuring devices, cellphone apps and club technology? Other?

I would be further confused if there were attempts to 'simplify' the rules, mainly because I would think that would end up being a self-defeating exercise resulting in a bigger mess than many believe we have right now (e.g. bifurcation?). I don't know if there have ever been any similar initiatives to simplify the rules of hockey, baseball or football. If anything, the rules governing these sports also seem to have become more complex over recent years.

What are the driving forces behind efforts to simplify the rules, anyway? That is, it's been my experience that most of the players who observe the rules know them reasonably well, and most of the players who don't know the rules don't really care if they're observed at all.

Comment

According to Jeff Shackleford, what's being considered

From the materials I've seen and in discussions with those briefed, here are the highlights of the many "relaxed" rules (where have I heard that term?):

--No more penalties for accidentally moving a ball on the putting green or in searching for a ball

--Golfers may putt without having the flagstick attended or removed. A speed of play, play.

--Repairing spike marks and other damage on the putting green to be allowed. Not a speed of play helper.

--More red hazard lines to include desert areas and no penalty for touching the hazard in such an area, which also includes moving loose impediments.

--In bunkers, no penalty for touching loose impediments or for touching the sand with a hand or club. Still no grounding the club next to the ball or in front of the ball. We'll call this the Anna rule.

--We trust you, we really really trust you rules. This is a video evidence situation again, allowing for "reasonable judgement" when estimating point of entry drops, etc...

--Reduced time for searching for a lost ball from five down to three minutes

--You can keep playing a damaged club during a round. No penalty for an altered club, even if you wrapped it around a tree in a childish hissy-fit.

--Use of distance measuring devices permitted at all times, except by Local Rule (this should be fun for Augusta and the PGA Tour).

--No more caddies lining up players before a shot. This was almost strictly an LPGA Tour problem.

--A new “Maximum Score” form of stroke play, where your score can be capped to a number set by the Committee. In this proposed format you can pick up and move to the next hole when your score "will be at or above the maximum."

--New presentation of how the rules are presented

--New "plain" language in the writing of the rules

So what stands out?

For my money, the positives are various headache situations in everyday tournament golf coming to an end.

The use of rangefinders will be applauded, hailed and declared the key to speeding up the game. Little difference will be seen, but at least we'll be able to put another savior to bed on the pace of play front.

The ability to repair "spike" marks in a sport almost devoid of spikes contradicts the efforts to speed up the sport and appears to be mostly for tour players.
                  "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Wish they get rid of all of them funny coloured stakes around the course...could never figure them out and sometimes get in the way of my next shot

Comment

Originally posted by Bosco View Post
                      Wish they get rid of all of them funny coloured stakes around the course...could never figure them out and sometimes get in the way of my next shot
                      Brilliant, obviously from a non-Rules perspective!

Comment

Originally posted by Bosco View Post
                        I always wondered why the stakes were different colours. I just thought they were put there as a convenience for the players. For example, whenever my ball is near one of those stakes, I pull the stake out of the ground and lay it down next to my ball as an alignment aid. I don't know how many shots I've saved, but it sure helps.

Comment

The release - http://www.randa.org/News/2017/03/Pr...RandA-and-USGA

Comment

Wonderful picture on the BBC Sports web site at the head of the column on the rules modernization project. Just look at the putter!!!

Proposals have been unveiled that, if approved, will see the biggest shake-up of golf's rules "in a generation".

Comment

Happy about the spike mark rule change. I'm amazed at some of the damage some golfer with twinkle toes can do near the hole. Also jazzed about the flag stick. I almost never pull it when playing by myself
                              TM M2 D-type 9.5 Accra CS1 70
                              TM Jetspeed tour 19* Accra CS1 80
                              TM M2 tour 4-9 Accra ICWT 95
                              Callaway X-Forged 48, 52, 58, 64 Pro Modus3 105
                              Nike method MC3i

Osprey Valley Century Club
                              100 holes - May 2, 2016

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard