Collapse

Groove Sharpener

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Groove Sharpener

This is were I got mine and apprantley this is the main tool on the markets http://www.groovesharpener.com/
    In the Bag

Driver: Epic Flash Sub Zero - Accra FX-260
    Fairway Wood: Cobra F8 - Tensei CK Orange
    Hybrid:Mizuno JPX 900 - Accra FX-200H
    Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Tours - KBS C-Taper
    Wedges: Mizuno S7 Blu-ion - 49*, 53.5*, 59* - DG Spinner
    Putter:Bobby Grace Smart Fit F18
    Ball: Bx or Z-Star XV
    --------
    Home Course - Clublink

Comment

Hi Guys,

Well my groove sharpener arrived a few days ago - I followed the simple user instructions that came with it - all in all it took me around 15 mins to regroove all my irons ( mizuno ) and wedges ( vokey ).

Played a round yesterday - and like wow - it really does work - my control has never been better - my golf buddies were suprised to say the least. I won't let on to them about the tool until the next round we play - I want to kick their asses 1 more time LOL.

I appreciate all the feedback you guys gave to me - thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeweirfan View Post
        Hi Guys,

Well my groove sharpener arrived a few days ago - I followed the simple user instructions that came with it - all in all it took me around 15 mins to regroove all my irons ( mizuno ) and wedges ( vokey ).

Played a round yesterday - and like wow - it really does work - my control has never been better - my golf buddies were suprised to say the least. I won't let on to them about the tool until the next round we play - I want to kick their asses 1 more time LOL.

I appreciate all the feedback you guys gave to me - thanks again.
        Hey mikeweirfan,

The Groove Sharpener says it's good for both U and V grooves. Does the tool's blade differentiate for the different grooves or do you just more or less scrape away regardless of the grooves?

I noticed that the regrooving tool from Golfsmith had different heads for the different grooves as well as a handle and both are about the same price, conversion and shipping charges said.

Comment

Originally posted by QA10 View Post
          Keep in mind that if the grooves are too sharp you will be shredding balls like a cheese grater.
          If you are shredding you can bet a bottom dollar that you are also nonconforming.
          My game is rubbish with shades of brilliance.

Comment

I bought one of these about 3 years ago:

It was easy to use, and it worked reasonably well.

However:

a. I stopped using it as I was certain that it could, and possibly was, creating non-conforming grooves; and,

b. By sharpening the grooves, it is also removing the surface coating from the club face, thus leading to rusty grooves.

Comment

Hi Guys,
              I had a round of golf with my buddy yesterday - and I noticed he had a tool to clean and repair the grooves on his irons.
              When I asked him about it he told me it was a groove sharpener and that he had been using one for several months.
              Any of you guys used one or in fact own one.
              What is the consensus of opinion - do they infringe the rules in anyway ?
              My buddy was generating a fair amount of spin for sure.
              I would be grateful for any feedback.
              Maybe I'm looking at this from a different angle than others, I'm not certain that there would be enough alteration to make it "non-conforming" but, I would be more concerned that if you were using this mid-round, that someone would call an infrigment of making club alterations mid-round. Whether it works or not in actually sharpening the grooves is debatible, but if you are using it mid-round with the intention of sharpening grooves, then you are trying to alter the club in the middle of the round (as per the original post). That would be an infringment. No different than changing weights in a driver, or rotating the shaft to draw on the second tee.

What you do between rounds, giver if it works, and you don't make the grooves too big. But during the round.....not allowed.

Just a thought on the rules side.

Comment

Originally posted by the_GREEN_Hornet View Post
                Hey mikeweirfan,

The Groove Sharpener says it's good for both U and V grooves. Does the tool's blade differentiate for the different grooves or do you just more or less scrape away regardless of the grooves?

I noticed that the regrooving tool from Golfsmith had different heads for the different grooves as well as a handle and both are about the same price, conversion and shipping charges said.
                Groove sharpener has two different ends that are both for cutting. One side for U and the other for V grooves. Best $10 I ever spent off ebay.

Comment

Guys,

Thanks for the input.

A special thanks to QA10 for his groove sharpener links. The spingolfer sharpener looks quite poorly made to be honest and I have had some bad customer service dealings with Golf Smith in the past.

Mike Mossey's link was very interesting because the sharpener on that website I am 99% sure was the one my buddy was using.

So I have plumped for the tool at www.groovesharpener.net

I will post again after I have used it and played a few shots.

Now - onto my next gadget - but don't tell the missus LOL.
                  I have one of the SpinGolfer ones and it looks identical to the one at
                  groovesharpener.com but cheaper

so far it has worked great....
                  To golf, or not to golf? What a stupid question!

Comment

Opening this thread back up since I looking to purchase a groove sharpener. I came across one from Golfworks and it seems like it would work. Anyone tried this and can share their results? or share another product?

I game a set of Vokey SM4, and they have seen better days.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricelude View Post
                      Opening this thread back up since I looking to purchase a groove sharpener. I came across one from Golfworks and it seems like it would work. Anyone tried this and can share their results? or share another product?I game a set of Vokey SM4, and they have seen better days.
                      Re: Wedges with old Grooves
                      I Purchased this ReGrooving tool from www.par70.com three years ago, US$25.00 shipped to the door.
                      It has cutters for both Square and V grooves.
                      It works really well, extremely sharp so you need a very steady hand and should always use a vice, as you can really scratch up cub face or injure your self. even a cheap vice clamped to a table is better than nothing. I lent it once to TGNer Smittyman, so he might want to comment also.
                      Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Use tape like this guy:

Comment

I've never heard of one of these, though they do sound very useful. Does it require much force? I'd imagine it's something you would do before or after a game rather than on the course though, no?

Comment

[QUOTE=rawpete;1665555]I've never heard of one of these, though they do sound very useful. Does it require much force? I'd imagine it's something you would do before or after a game rather than on the course though, no?[/QUOTE

Something you would use once in a while. Does not require much force.On the course you'd use something like this:
                            The Maxfli Groover Brush Features a Retractable Groove Cleaning Tip

Comment

just ordered one of the Par70 tools - hopefully I can save my mizuno wedges.

In the Bag:

Titleist 915 D3 - Diamana Whiteboard
                              Mizuno 3 & 5 woods - TT steel shaft
                              Mizuno MP-52 KBS Tour shafts
                              Mizuno 56 black ox - TT
                              Mizuno 60 raw haze - TT
                              Odessy White hot custom fit - will take this putter to my grave

Comment

[QUOTE=Tintin;1665722]
                                Originally posted by rawpete View Post
                                I've never heard of one of these, though they do sound very useful. Does it require much force? I'd imagine it's something you would do before or after a game rather than on the course though, no?[/QUOTE

Something you would use once in a while. Does not require much force.On the course you'd use something like this:
                                https://www.golfworks.ca/maxfli-groover-brush/p/MX143/
                                Thanks Tintin,

I didn't know this sort of thing was available either, I'm a bit out of touch these days. They look great for the price too.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X