Collapse

Can't keep up in my old age!!!!!

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't keep up in my old age!!!!!

Went out Monday after a tournament finished around 5:35. Started on 7 and played 8, catching up to a twosome..... Cut over to 11 and see someone in a cart ahead so no problem I hope (though I have caught up to singles in a cart in the past).

As I finish 11, look over my shoulder and there is someone in a cart just by the green behind me. Play 12 (just short of the green in reg), the single ahead already out of sight, and see the single behind still on my tail (a member almost 60).... I happily wait and wave him through on the 13th tee....

As fast as I play and hitting it straight too, I can't keep up with singles in carts, who play the same same I do.....

Ended up playing 10 holes in 1 hour (and putting out all holes) as spouse was getting home early and didn't finish 18.....
    Last edited by Under3; Sep 11, 2014, 06:24 AM.

Re: Can't keep up in my old age!!!!!

Originally posted by Under3 View Post
    Ended up playing 10 holes in 1 hour (and putting out all holes) as spouse was getting home early and didn't finish 18.....
    I think I know what the problem is, your spouse has your balls.

Comment

sucks getting old,I am trying to slow down a bit with my game,I tend to play better when I play slower,seems like i rush through the game and dont enjoy it as much as i should.

Comment

I fail to see the problem. The longer we're out playing, the better. I now have my wife 'trained' to just live with it. Hmm, perhaps 'trained' isn't the best word. No disrespect to the wives on this forum.

I've recently discovered how slowing down a bit makes for a much more enjoyable round. Played a noticeably slower round last month and enjoyed it immensely. Not slowing anyone down and not waiting on anyone, it was a great, slower pace. We were a twosome nestled in between a fivesome and foursome behind us. Yep, a FIVEsome and we didn't mind, although the marshall did he and put an end to the nice pace we had going into the back nine.

As for feeling old, I get it. I'm only 47 and the knees and back are taking a pounding walking the course. Played 36 last Sunday and on Monday morning, I felt like I got hit by a truck. Please tell me it doesn't get any worse. I did see my wife buying Metamucil the other day, so I fear it is indeed all going downhill.
        – Greg

Comment

Lol. I stopped playing basketball at 40 when I noticed the others were up in the air and I wasn't. Took up hockey and played that for 15 years. Now I feel like a cone and get wind-burn when they go around me.

Yes getting old sucks. But hey you're still playing. Be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by nomullies View Post
            Now I feel like a cone and get wind-burn when they go around me.
            I guess you know how Dion feels...

Comment

Originally posted by Bern View Post
              I think I know what the problem is, your spouse has your balls.
              A terrible thing to want to spend time with one's spouse???? Priorities and my spouse is worth it.....

Comment

Hey guys, getting older is no fun with all the physical problems associated with it. But the alternative REALLY sucks......being under the grass rather than walking on it!
                U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

Originally posted by nomullies View Post
                  Lol. I stopped playing basketball at 40 when I noticed the others were up in the air and I wasn't. Took up hockey and played that for 15 years. Now I feel like a cone and get wind-burn when they go around me.

Yes getting old sucks. But hey you're still playing. Be happy.
                  The trick to being a walker in golf is to force yourself to stay at it through all those painful rounds as your legs and lungs get over the shock you are putting them through. I'm in my mid 70s and only decided to become a walk & carry golfer four years ago. I have to tell you, that first year I thought I was going to die by the 6th hole. Slowly the fitness began to improve and be year end I was fine. I don't walk on very humid days as that only asking for trouble at my age. Best of luck......!
                  If St. Andrews is the home of golf, Askernish is it's soul......!

Comment

I am no spring chicken by any means and have walked 80 rounds (to date) this year including Rocky Crest, Wyndance, Cherry Downs, and King's Riding. Some people think these are tough courses to walk. Not me.
                    I walk at a good pace. This year I've dropped an inch on my waist (I can wear a white belt) and 3-4 pounds.

Comment

Originally posted by MannyR View Post
                      I've dropped an inch on my waist (I can wear a white belt) and 3-4 pounds.
                      – Greg

Comment

Originally posted by synergy View Post
                        I fail to see the problem. The longer we're out playing, the better. I now have my wife 'trained' to just live with it. Hmm, perhaps 'trained' isn't the best word. No disrespect to the wives on this forum.

I've recently discovered how slowing down a bit makes for a much more enjoyable round. Played a noticeably slower round last month and enjoyed it immensely. Not slowing anyone down and not waiting on anyone, it was a great, slower pace. We were a twosome nestled in between a fivesome and foursome behind us. Yep, a FIVEsome and we didn't mind, although the marshall did he and put an end to the nice pace we had going into the back nine.

As for feeling old, I get it. I'm only 47 and the knees and back are taking a pounding walking the course. Played 36 last Sunday and on Monday morning, I felt like I got hit by a truck. Please tell me it doesn't get any worse. I did see my wife buying Metamucil the other day, so I fear it is indeed all going downhill.
                        try epsom salts in a nice hot bath...works wonders!!! I taking a bag down to Myrtle next month as I have 11 rds in 7 days
                        Don't Drink & DRive...Don't Even Putt

Comment

Originally posted by synergy View Post
                          Haha. Thought you'd appreciate that.

Comment

I am 63 and walk at least three rounds a week. Started carying this year as well. While aging does present plenty of challenges, unless you fight them they will win. Being 15lbs lighter than last year helps.

Comment

Originally posted by caddishack View Post
                              try epsom salts in a nice hot bath...works wonders!!!
                              I should know that about epsom salts as a former client makes the stuff. But I thought it was just for skin? Will have to give it a try, the wife has had a bag sitting on the tub for months now.
                              – Greg

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X