/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Better Ballstriking with a smaller head?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better Ballstriking with a smaller head?

I am curious what some of the instructors on here think of this theory. And like anything I am not saying this applies to all. But I wonder if it merits any for some?

The basic concept of aim small miss small. Sure SGI clubhead are huge and offer the most forgiveness on Mishits but correct me if I'm wrong. The size of the sweetspot on an SGI vs GI vs Players CB aren't much diff (Duno about MBs) it's just the bigger clubhead should make it easier if you do miss.

My personal test data...I started off golfing with SGI irons Cally Razr X HL version. Easily launched the ball but I had no clue where my contact on face was (still can't tell) for me the huge soles made it difficult to not blade shots as easily.

Onto RSI2s. Striking improved huge with the smaller soles and heads. I also got a way better idea of where the ball is coming off the face but I can't always tell if it was right on or not. But they do launch the ball very easily. Still a decent sized face.

I went to a local shop to kill time... Started hitting shots with the local employee on his break who games 716CBs... He said here try this (is same shaft I use DGS300) I was original intimated by the smaller clubhead but loved the look. I Duno if it's all forged CBs/MBs of that size but soon as I put a swing on it I knew if the ball was slightly heel or toe side. If it was gonna curve left or right (intentionally or not) the feedback was impeccable. But what amazed me was I was hitting it as consistently as my RSI2 7iron...

Now for reference my RSI2 7i is 31* bent to 32* the 716CB is 35*... I was hitting the CB flushed around 160 carry. Now the misses did punish a bit more then the RSI2 but not much 10yards vs 5-6yards with RSI2...

I do need to go back and hit a small CB again but my ball striking was a lot better/consistent with a smaller head. The Pro suggested that for some a smaller head forces you to concentrate more.

I know it's definetly not the forging vs cast as I tried Mizuno 850 Forged and they had less feedback then my RSI2s and my ballstriker G was worse.

So does that have any merit? That a smaller clubhead can force you to concentrate more? I know with a driver my contact can be all over face yet. 3w it's usually within .25"

Re: Better Ballstriking with a smaller head?

When I was a junior, I learned to play with these:

I think the sweet spot was the size of a dime, or less.

I feel like I was better back then with those clubs, than I am now :-)
    Go Long and Strong. . .

Comment

See but I'm fairly sure the sweet spot isn't much bigger now...the true sweet spot is the same. All manufacturers have done is make the surrounding area more forgiving.

Comment

It's great if you have the patience to tolerate mishits.

I personally will use blades for practicing and play with my AP2's. Of late, the practice club of choice has been my 1980's Titleist Tour Model 3 iron, on good days, the 2 iron comes out. I will also check my contact point on the club face with a bit of moisture. You can use foot spray too, but what I do works for me. For cheap practice clubs, try a thrift shop.

The key is to check your setup for the flush hits and learn what you're doing to achieve them. Also, when it's not working, switch to something else and stay positive with the practice session.

Comment

Just do this instead of buying irons: http://www.golfwrx.com/341296/a-wint...ball-striking/

Comment

I am in no way looking for new irons. My rsi2s are perfect. Just suprised and when my rsi2s get a few years old I may consider more blade style

Comment

Not the first time I've heard this idea that the smaller head makes you concentrate more, but I don't feel like concentrating more is the crucial component of good ball-striking. I think it's more about consistent execution of sound swing mechanics, sequencing, and tempo, combined with good fundamentals (grip, posture, set-up).

Personally, I don't really concentrate very hard at all when hitting a shot. It's more of a physical reaction, much like say catching a ball, hitting a pitch, or any other athletic action, and how hard do you really need to concentrate on doing those things? Often when a player is playing well or in "the zone" they're asked what they were thinking during that time, and almost always the answer is "nothing." or at the very most maybe one simple swing thought and just letting the swing they've honed through practice do it's thing trying not to mentally get in the way. So in my opinion, I understand where the idea of a smaller head causing you to concentrate harder comes from, but I don't think that specific form of concentration is beneficial to good ball-striking.
              WITB:
              - Titleist TS3 (Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x)
              - A-Grind 3 Wood (Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x)
              - A-Grind Utility Proto 18 degrees (ACCRA TZ6)
              - Mizuno MP-20 HMB 3i
              - Mizuno JPX-919 Tour 4-PW
              - Mizuno T-20 56 & 60
              - David Whitlam SPI3 Limited Edition

Backups:
              - PING S59 3-PW (Rifle Project X 5.5)
              - Nike Forged Blades 3-PW
              - Geotech P.Blade 3-PW
              - Scotty Cameron Newport II Pro Platinum
              - Scotty Cameron Phantom Futura
              - David Whitlam Little Dog

Comment

I went back to my Wilson FG59 last year and don't regret it at all. They're a smaller muscle back blade and what I found is it didn't negatively impact my game. My bad shots did seem a little worse BUT my good shots seemed a lot better. With these clubs I knew if I hit it well that the ball would go exactly the direction and distance I wanted. With my cavity backs I never quite had the same confidence in the consistency of the good shots especially with distance. They didn't seem as dialed in on good shots.

To summarize my finding or reasoning to staying with the muscle backs is my good shots were a greater advantage than my bad shots were a disadvantage.

Comment

I know that some people don't like this guy too much, but i found this comparison video of his, "interesting", as Brits would say
                  Too bad his hands got badly "shaken" after few of toe hits, so he couldn't continue to do the center and heel comparisons, too. But, IMHO, the toe mishit is the most punishing on the blade irons, because they position less mass on the toe, no ?
                  Cheers !
                  Last edited by veryold1; Apr 6, 2016, 07:46 AM.

Comment

isn't it just mechanics of the players that determine if they can have better ballstriking with a smaller head?

Comment

Probably a good idea to train practice with small heads/blades but no chance you are going to play better IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Lob wedge View Post
                        Probably a good idea to train practice with small heads/blades but no chance you are going to play better IMO.
                        I played better when I moved to blades from GI

Comment

Go get an old set of blades,lots cheaper

Comment

Originally posted by BirdieNumNum View Post
                            I played better when I moved to blades from GI
                            Consistently?

Comment

Just for fun

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X