Cast Vs Forged....

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cast Vs Forged....

Originally posted by Taylor59 View Post
    Off topic the mp53, are the head weights not different how was the set built?
    Visit this thread:
    Want to know how to tinker with your own clubs? Whats MOI? Whats the latest in club fitting technology? Use this forum to ask the experts or share your own tips and practices.

Or Dan's site directly:
    Dan's Custom Golf Shop builds high level custom golf clubs - using True Length Technology and True Frequency Technology. Custom Golf Clubs at their finest
    Last edited by ARL67; Dec 30, 2015, 11:49 AM.
    🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
    Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
    Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
    Titleist TSR1 20* & 26* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
    Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
    Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
    Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

This is a keen suggestion if one ventures to the forged side of things; get fitted and make sure the lie and lofts are correct. It might avoid buyers remorse if frustration is the only feeling gained.

Comment

Originally posted by DCBABY View Post
        This is a keen suggestion if one ventures to the forged side of things; get fitted and make sure the lie and lofts are correct. It might avoid buyers remorse if frustration is the only feeling gained.
        The same goes for any set you buy, cast or forged.
        1. Always have the set checked and adjusted for loft accuracy and loft progression accuracy and lie . ( BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE STORE)
        2. If you require a fit that is outside of what the manufacturers use as standard ( which by most reports accounts for over 85% of the population) get the store to analyze your needs and adjust the clubs to those (BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE STORE) at worst take them to a reputable fitter afterwards to get adjusted.
        3. If you play soft stainless heads or forged , get the heads re-checked for loft and lie regularly , annually or every 40/50 rounds is a good timeline. Sooner if you've hit a root or something hard.
        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Sorry to bring up a thread that's over a year old but it's better then starting another one on the same category.

So here's my situation....I'm in the market for a new set of irons this spring and I'm trying to determine if I should go cast or forged. Reading this thread and other articles on line and it seems as though the most important factor is what ever plays best and feels best for me is the right decision. This isn't rocket science to me as I wouldn't want to invest in a set of clubs that I didn't like to look at and that didn't feel good to me!

So knowing that its all about personal preference and feel, I want to ask the brilliant minds of TGN about the overall durability of forged irons. I see a lot of used forged sets severely damaged over the course of time. Is the metal that soft that it shows marks easily? I have OCD with my bag of tools and I would hate to invest 1K+ into clubs that will show wear and tear easily.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

they will show their age quicker but it depends how much you play and practice. And if you are super paranoid, get iron covers <gasp!>

I'm as picky as the next guy and I have no problem with the look of well worn forged irons.
            MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Take a look at Ping. Their new i200 irons look sick, and no one does cast irons better than they do.
              When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Comment

i200, S55, iblade... all cast clubs that look awesome and feel great too.
                Bag: PING Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Floral
                Driver: TM SIM2 MAX @ 10.5*
                Wood: TM SIM2 MAX @ 15*
                Hybrids: TM SIM2 22*
                Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW
                Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60*
                Putter: SGC WB Northwood
                Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Comment

Originally posted by jburns View Post
                  i200, S55, iblade... all cast clubs that look awesome and feel great too.
                  My son went the S55 route late this fall. The i200 would be more money and 431 SS, where as the S55's are 17-4 SS, won't wear as quick and gives great feedback on all shots.

I think the S55 toe tungsten weight is an innovation since it helps to balance out the weight of the hosel, and this feature is not replicated in the new i200 irons. I'd give the nudge to S55 over the i200 design.

Both Ping models look like candy. I picked up a S55 7-Iron to try come spring.
                  Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
                  Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
                  Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Imo the S55 were an anomolay and will go down as one of the greatest cast clubs ever.

The feel look and workability are great. Very forgiving for a blade too.

The iblades pale in comparison. Feedback is terrible, workability is less, they are definetly more forgiving. Clean backs but bigger top lines more offset. I call them Ishovels. Granted they do go high and straight. But flighting them lower is difficult. Also hitting more then a 1-2y draw or fade was near impossible for me.

The i200 look even worse imho.

Comment

Originally posted by TourIQ View Post
                      My son went the S55 route late this fall. The i200 would be more money and 431 SS, where as the S55's are 17-4 SS, won't wear as quick and gives great feedback on all shots.

I think the S55 toe tungsten weight is an innovation since it helps to balance out the weight of the hosel, and this feature is not replicated in the new i200 irons. I'd give the nudge to S55 over the i200 design.

Both Ping models look like candy. I picked up a S55 7-Iron to try come spring.
                      The i200 have tungsten toe weights that are even more dense then the prior S55 irons. They're like an i20 and s55 love child.
                      Bag: PING Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Floral
                      Driver: TM SIM2 MAX @ 10.5*
                      Wood: TM SIM2 MAX @ 15*
                      Hybrids: TM SIM2 22*
                      Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW
                      Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60*
                      Putter: SGC WB Northwood
                      Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Comment

The debate about forged vs cast really comes down to performance.... for you. The design and quality control of the iron is far more important than the process to create it.

To wit, in the last 50 years there have been excellent forgings made from various carbon steel mixes and fine cast heads made from 303(very soft) to 17-4 stainless(much harder). Years ago Wilson, Spalding and few other companies made forgings from stainless steel. Heat treating castings along with the advent of multi-material heads has all but obliterated the "feel" debate.

But your irons based on these criteria.

- consistency of performance, re loft spacing, distance, and dispersion

- proper shaft and lie fitting

- grip size and type

- optics; does the club shape inspire a confident strike?

Avoid any hype, stay true to those performance criteria, and you will find the right iron.
                        In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
                        Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, KuroKage 606 S
                        TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
                        TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
                        PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
                        TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
                        Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
                        TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
                          Imo the S55 were an anomolay and will go down as one of the greatest cast clubs ever.

The iblades pale in comparison. Feedback is terrible, workability is less, they are definetly more forgiving. Clean backs but bigger top lines more offset. I call them Ishovels. Granted they do go high and straight. But flighting them lower is difficult. Also hitting more then a 1-2y draw or fade was near impossible for me.

Forgive me if I am mistaken, but IIRC you are a 10 handicap so I do not think high and straight is a bad thing. There is nothing inherently wrong with the Iblade as I have seen them struck well by a number of better i.e 0-6 players. They are just not your preference or your best fit. The S55 is a terrific club as well.
                          In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
                          Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, KuroKage 606 S
                          TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
                          TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
                          PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
                          TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
                          Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
                          TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post

What is it about the iBlade doesn't allow you to fade it? Lol a 1-2 yd fade looks completely straight down range. I dunno, personally I could draw or fade a shot regardless of head design, it's more about face angle and club path. Regards to cast vs forged, forged carbon steel heads feel better at impact to me.

Comment

Can't we all just get along and try to hit the ball straight?

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
                                Part of the allure and mystique surrounding the feel and feedback of forged irons came from the performance Balata balls that were played then.

Balata balls will make even the most modern of cast irons sound better.
                                I found some of my old Titlist 100 Balata balls last year and we were out for a round, my friend and I were amazed how well the balls performed. My forged Ping Iirons made them dance (incredible back spin). And distance wow.
                                PS: the balls have been stored in my basement and this was the first time they were taken out of their sleeves, the colour was yellowed a little.
                                Forged irons were made for Balata balls.
                                Driver: Wilson D200 (set at 9*),UST Mamiya Elements Chrome Stiff.
                                3W: Wilson D200,UST Mamiya Elements Chrome Reg.
                                7W: Taylor Made (that's it bought in 1986)
                                Irons: Ping I-irons Yellow Dot, 4-9 + W45*+ UW50*, CFS 70gram Graphite Reg.
                                Mack Daddy 60/10 Wedge
                                Putter: Ping Anser Beryllium Copper Putter (bought it in 1982)

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X