Collapse

Which Private Club to join?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Private Club to join?

I'm not sure if such a place exists, but if anyone can provide input I'd be grateful. To further complicate things, I live near Leslie and Lawrence so I wouldn't be able to join anywhere west of Yonge or I'd be stuck in traffic all the time.

I'm looking for a club with a full range (or as close to full as possible), a family friendly set up (with outdoor pool and activities for kids), tennis preferably but not a deal breaker, and a last but not least a fun course to play.

I live minutes from Donalda but have heard the range is terrible and the course is short and tight (I have an invite to play there soon). My budget is flexible but at $80k, I want all the boxes ticked.

Bayview seems nice but haven't played there. Are there any other obvious options I'm missing?

Re: Which Private Club to join?

Bayview would be a good option. Not sure that their range will be what you want though the other family amenities are there.

I would quit the game if I had to play Donalda regularly.

Thornhill is a great course, family friendly with tennis but no Pool.

Comment

Originally posted by Twi-light Launcher View Post
      I'm not sure if such a place exists, but if anyone can provide input I'd be grateful. To further complicate things, I live near Leslie and Lawrence so I wouldn't be able to join anywhere west of Yonge or I'd be stuck in traffic all the time.

I'm looking for a club with a full range (or as close to full as possible), a family friendly set up (with outdoor pool and activities for kids), tennis preferably but not a deal breaker, and a last but not least a fun course to play.

I live minutes from Donalda but have heard the range is terrible and the course is short and tight (I have an invite to play there soon). My budget is flexible but at $80k, I want all the boxes ticked.

Bayview seems nice but haven't played there. Are there any other obvious options I'm missing?
      Major reno by McBroom at Donalda starting August. All new greens and practice facility. Thats your best bet. Thornhill is a bit of a hike but a great place.

Comment

I'm not a member of Donalda but have played it on a few occasions. I couldn't disagree more with the earlier comment. I thoroughly enjoy this course. The holes are interesting and varied. It gives you options off the tee. It isn't very long but it doesn't play short given the challenge some of the driving holes present. Most importantly the course is very well conditioned which I think is perhaps the most important factor in enjoying a round of golf (ie good greens, tees, fairways, with consistent playability).

The clubhouse and facilties are fantastic and the service I have experienced is great. I would love to join. The initiation is prohibitive though at 80k.

The range is not good. Short and off mats for the most part. However, you can still work on your game here. Most importanly they recently installed four brand new state of the art golf simulators that will enable you to practice all year round with statistical feedback.

Comment

If you aren't prepared to drive a little, the closest and best course to you is Thornhill. Stanley Thompson beauty. Donalda has always seemed like an elderly membership IMO.
          neither of the 2 has a good range though. Practice facilities werent a priority back in the days they were built. Scarboro is also a helluva better golf course than Donalda, but no pool.
          Last edited by low fade; May 28, 2013, 09:50 PM. Reason: Amend wording

Comment

Wouldn't Granite fit the requirements nicely? I've never been there personally but I know they have extensive facilities for the family right on Bayview at Lawrence plus the golf course a bit north of the city
            Member of 2012, 2013, 2015 TGN Ryder Cup Team
            Member of 2014 OG Ryder Cup Team

Comment

Originally posted by gimmeabogey View Post
              Wouldn't Granite fit the requirements nicely? I've never been there personally but I know they have extensive facilities for the family right on Bayview at Lawrence plus the golf course a bit north of the city
              Granite Golf Club is not at Bayview & Lawrence, it is up near Bloomington & York-Durham line. The Bayview & Lawrence location is the Granite Club, different membership altogether. From the person who invited to golf at Granite Golf Club, I think you can bypass the waiting list to get into Granite Club if you join the golf club as well. There are few days you can play at the Golf Club if you are a member of the Granite Club and you can use the dining facility at the Golf Club year around I heard.

I have been there for golf 2 times last year, someone invited me. Initiation cost is not cheap, I heard its over $30000 but you can pay with installments I think. Annual dues is about $10000. I think you can use its restaurant in winter time plus the golf dome at the Granite Club (Bayview / Post Rd) during the winter. They won't allow you to use your own push carts due to some grass disease excuse. However they have good quality Sun Mountain push carts for golfing use. Greens are fast. Range with grass tees. There is a par-3 practice facility with plenty of practice balls at some holes so people can practice the short game.

For sure you will get a good quality yardage book. See attached picture for a sample page.

No spectacular scores but I managed to par 5 holes the first time. 2nd time I got 1 birdie on a par 5 and 1 par. I played the Gold-Red tees, 6056 yards, rating 69.9, slope 136.
              Last edited by SingleWalking; May 29, 2013, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I had forgotten about the Granite Club. My grand-parents were members when I was a kid, it ticks all my boxes except golf. I had a vision of dropping the family off at the club on a Saturday to swim and goof around, then I play 9 holes, then join them for lunch after, etc...

Does anyone know if the Donalda make-over will include a full or near full range? I've never played the course, don't know if they have the real estate.

Is the course at Bayview one that can be played over and over without getting tired of it?

Scarboro is othewise perfect, great course and a straight shot across Lawrence Ave East for me (15-20 minutes even in rush hour). But no pool there - I'm trying not to use the expression "drop the kids off at the pool!"

Comment

I have family at Donalda and my wife has family at Thornhill. Both of our families have been at each club for over 30 years. The course may be short at both courses, but are a great place to play regardless of your ability. Greens are always good, the clubhouse is well-kept. Yes - The range sucks at Donalda, but as mentioned before - I have heard Reno's are in the works.

+1 For Granite Club - A little bit of a hike outside the city. But that course is great! The facilities are decent as-well.
                  What's in my bag?

Driver: Titleist 910- ProforceV2
                  Irons: Titleist CB
                  Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled - 50, 54, 58
                  Putter: Scotty

~ 90% of putts left short of the hole won't go in ~

Comment

Hello,

Long time lurker, first time posting. I'm in a similar boat as the OP.

Donalda is as close to what you are looking for, with Bayview coming second. An alternative would be to join two clubs, one purely for golf and one for others (ie Mayfair for tennis, swimming, etc).

It also depends on what your priorities are. If it is golf, I would say Thornhill over Donalda and Bayview. From a family club perspective, Donalda then Bayview.

Granite Golf is nice, but, it is quite the drive, but, joining it will help you skip the 3 year waiting period at the Granite Club. For a family club, without golf, the Granite Club is hard to beat.

Comment

Donalda is a good club and you pay for it. Course plays longer than the card and they are lengthening it. Not sure why it's not rated higher but I don't think the raters like it. It's tight but playable. I've played better courses but I think it's ok. If you are a not great golfer, and or bring clients business people who arent great-this may be an issue-you can lose a ball easily enough on almost every hole-if not 2. If you can get it around there you can likely play anywhere. Range is limited to pretty much irons only. Place is very busy. Food is descent and again you pay for it. Pool seems ok. Tennis is excellent-nice courts but I think again you pay for it. Location can't be beat. Upstairs has better food than downstairs. Busy, busy place. Good walk. My family were members for years so I have A LOT of experience there-personally I would join somewhere else-however, for location and overall club {non golf, fitness, tennis, kids, pool} it's pretty good. Ultra expensive-initiation is a big hit and that's just the start-figure 10 grand a year in other stuff {I would look into this} fees on top of fees, and then some fees.

Comment

Originally posted by SingleWalking View Post
                        Granite Golf Club is not at Bayview & Lawrence, it is up near Bloomington & York-Durham line. The Bayview & Lawrence location is the Granite Club, different membership altogether. From the person who invited to golf at Granite Golf Club, I think you can bypass the waiting list to get into Granite Club if you join the golf club as well. There are few days you can play at the Golf Club if you are a member of the Granite Club and you can use the dining facility at the Golf Club year around I heard.
                        [/I]
                        We are both partially correct I guess. I knew you could join The Granite Club and golf was extra, I didn't know they were separate. I had looked it up about five years ago it sounded like they were one.

OUR AFFILIATION WITH GRANITE CLUB

In 2002, an agreement was formalized between The Granite Club and Granite Golf Club that solidified a long-term relationship. The clubs share administrative services and have limited reciprocal arrangements for members. Although the clubs are affiliated, any qualified person can become a member of Granite Golf Club without being a member of The Granite Club.

http://www.granitegolfclub.ca/Defaul...d=203791&vnf=1

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I had forgotten about the Granite Club. My grand-parents were members when I was a kid, it ticks all my boxes except golf. I had a vision of dropping the family off at the club on a Saturday to swim and goof around, then I play 9 holes, then join them for lunch after, etc...

Does anyone know if the Donalda make-over will include a full or near full range? I've never played the course, don't know if they have the real estate.

Is the course at Bayview one that can be played over and over without getting tired of it?

Scarboro is othewise perfect, great course and a straight shot across Lawrence Ave East for me (15-20 minutes even in rush hour). But no pool there - I'm trying not to use the expression "drop the kids off at the pool!"
                          As you know The Granite Club is very young and vibrant, great for kids. I doubt your kids will like Scarboro. It's old and uptight. I'm not even sure they have facilities for kids. I golfed there on GAO event and liked it but it was like walking on egg shells in and around the club house.

I loved Bayview even more. Same architect as Brampton. Robbie Robertson. I could play it every day and not get tired of it. It's very walkable. Very friendly folks, relaxed athosphere.

Thornhill is great course too but you have to be mountain goat to walk it. I would never join there. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by gimmeabogey View Post
                            We are both partially correct I guess. I knew you could join The Granite Club and golf was extra, I didn't know they were separate. I had looked it up about five years ago it sounded like they were one.

OUR AFFILIATION WITH GRANITE CLUB

In 2002, an agreement was formalized between The Granite Club and Granite Golf Club that solidified a long-term relationship. The clubs share administrative services and have limited reciprocal arrangements for members. Although the clubs are affiliated, any qualified person can become a member of Granite Golf Club without being a member of The Granite Club.

http://www.granitegolfclub.ca/Defaul...d=203791&vnf=1
                            Ownership is the same, you can charge your Granite Club account while you use the facilities at the golf club. I guess they keep the membership separate to attract the golfers to the Granite Golf Club. IMO If you can afford the Granite Golf Club, joining both should not be an issue.

Comment

Take a look at Beacon Hall. One of the best courses in the country and perhaps surprisingly a very friendly membership. The equity shares are also very attractive at the moment. I think you will really like what you find.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X