Regular or stiff flex ?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regular or stiff flex ?

Hello TGN

I was wondering how do I know if I am regular or stiff flex in irons?

Re: Regular or stiff flex ?

Originally posted by RM88 View Post
    Hello TGN

The best way is to try different shafts, ideally at a range under "real" conditions versus artificially , indoors.. A demo day might be a good idea.
    Because shafts all hve different weights and can have differnt profiles It's really hard to say which will work best for you. A regular flex shaft in one brand could feel and play stiffer than a stiff in another brand .

As a very general rule of thumb, if you find that your ball flight is too low and you don't feel you are getting the distance you should plus the feel might be a little harsh , chances are the shaft is too stiff. If you find you re ballooning shots due to too much spin, shaft could be too soft.

If you have an early to mid release of the wrists in the swing , then flex is not likely going to matter much because the shft will be unloaded well before impact to make any appreciable difference.

weird thing happened to me lately. An aggressive hitter of the ball who generates a lot of spin, I hve for years always used heavier weight , stiff shafts in my drivers and with good success. Recently Tried an ultra lite, 55 gram, regular flex shaft with 5.5 deg or torque in my 9* G30 and am hitting some of the longest and most consistent drives in years.
    Last edited by Weirfan; May 29, 2016, 06:54 PM.
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
      The best way is to try different shafts, ideally at a range under "real" conditions versus artificially , indoors.. A demo day might be a good idea.
      Because shafts all hve different weights and can have differnt profiles It's really hard to say which will work best for you. A regular flex shaft in one brand could feel and play stiffer than a stiff in another brand .

As a very general rule of thumb, if you find that your ball flight is too low and you don't feel you are getting the distance you should plus the feel might be a little harsh , chances are the shaft is too stiff. If you find you re ballooning shots due to too much spin, shaft could be too soft.

If you have an early to mid release of the wrists in the swing , then flex is not likely going to matter much because the shft will be unloaded well before impact to make any appreciable difference.

weird thing happened to me lately. An aggressive hitter of the ball who generates a lot of spin, I hve for years always used heavier weight , stiff shafts in my drivers and with good success. Recently Tried an ultra lite, 55 gram, regular flex shaft with 5.5 deg or torque in my 9* G30 and am hitting some of the longest and most consistent drives in years.
      Very well said. And great idea maybe a fitting won't hurt too? They will definitely be able to help you decide too.

Comment

How far do you hit your 7 iron?

Not science because it depends on the whippiness of your swing but under 160 is probably regular.

Comment

Originally posted by hemants View Post

Not science because it depends on the whippiness of your swing but under 160 is probably regular.
          Depends if you hit the ball low and you're trapping the ball then regular is probably best.

However if you are a picker and hit it really high then a stiff might fit the bill.

Comment

I was fitted with a stiff flex and I hit my 7 iron around 155-160, FWIW. It took me a little bit to get used to the stiffness though as my old set of irons were reg flex.
            Ping i25 Driver
            Ping i25 3 wood
            Ping G30 19deg hybrid
            Ping G30 4I - PW
            Nike Victory Red AW, SW, LW
            Ping Crazy-E G2i

Comment

I think this is a good estimation point; I was told that if I hit my 8 iron 150 yds, then I should be stiff for irons. If not, then regular.

Comment

trial and error
                things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by RM88 View Post
                  Hello TGN

A good clubfitter with access to Flightscope/Trackman/Foresight GC2 with HMT plus good video analysis will know to fit for flex profile of your best performing shaft.

This video is about shaft flex vs swing speed ratings. For added information about cutting-edge golf components, go online to www.wishongolf.com.
                  Engineered Golf
                  7 Brent Court
                  North Bay, ON
                  P1B 9M4
                  www.engineeredgolf.ca

Comment

I think pretty much everyone on TGN hits their 7 iron over 170 and has a driver clubhead speed over 110 mph, which is probably why you see so few regular shafts for sale.
                    WITB: clubs, balls, tees, Advil and a candlestick (just in case)

Comment

Originally posted by BearsFan View Post
                      I was fitted with a stiff flex and I hit my 7 iron around 155-160, FWIW. It took me a little bit to get used to the stiffness though as my old set of irons were reg flex.

My 7 iron has less loft than most 7 irons though, so this is a tough assessment to make.

Comment

Originally posted by ManFromMoffat View Post
                        I think pretty much everyone on TGN hits their 7 iron over 170 and has a driver clubhead speed over 110 mph, which is probably why you see so few regular shafts for sale.
                        I used to think that was a joke but if you look at the BST ads, it seems to be true - very hard to find anything in regular flex compared to stiff and x-stiff.

Comment

Originally posted by torrentman View Post
                          I used to think that was a joke but if you look at the BST ads, it seems to be true - very hard to find anything in regular flex compared to stiff and x-stiff.
                          Or they all bought X-flex and got humbled and dropped down to Stiff or Reg.

There's no doubt there are some crazy long hitters on TGN... I'm not one of 'em. lol

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                          X