Collapse

GOLFNOW - BOOKING ORLANDO COURSES OVER THE NEXT 2 WEEKS

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GOLFNOW - BOOKING ORLANDO COURSES OVER THE NEXT 2 WEEKS

Heading down to Orlando tomorrow (Dec 3/16) for a week of golf. Courses booked are Celebration, Falcon's Fire, Orange Lake Legends, Royal St. Cloud, Kissimmee GC (I like planes and airports!) and Reunion Watson. Will report back.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnerpc View Post
      Heading down to Orlando tomorrow (Dec 3/16) for a week of golf. Courses booked are Celebration, Falcon's Fire, Orange Lake Legends, Royal St. Cloud, Kissimmee GC (I like planes and airports!) and Reunion Watson. Will report back.
      Dump Falcon's Fire if you can, and pick up Panther Lake if you can
      What's in the Titleist/Swift X/Ping 4 series carry bag:
      Callaway X2 Hot Driver
      X2 Hot 3 wood
      Taylomade UDI 2,3 iron
      Taylormade Tour Preferred CB 4-PW
      TM TP 50, Scratch 56
      Odyssey Rossie Putter

Comment

Brag post. Our round at Reunion Watson got changed and we ended up playing Lake Nona!! What a treat.

Life's good.

Playing Bella Collina tomorrow.

Originally posted by bk51 View Post
        Wow, I wish I had your budget. I just paid 1.386 exchange for US cash, so even cheap golf will be expensive.

Flying to MCO Friday night, 8 days of golf. We'll play...
        - North Shore (near the airport, we get in late Friday night)
        - Highlands Reserve
        - Harmony
        - Sanctuary Ridge
        - Harbor Hills (guest of a member)
        - Forest Lake
        - Redtail
        - Rio Pinar

We book through TeeTimesUSA and GolfPacTravel. Both sites show which courses offer a free replay, important for us since we'll play 27 a day.

This year I checked each one out on golfadvisor.com for recent reviews. Normally we would play Mystic Dunes and MetroWest, both favourites of ours, but seems like they have gone downhill this year.

Bella Collina used to be on the free replay list, but not this year. Great layout, lots of elevation changes, but at $103 for 18 holes, no thanks. I don't understand their pricing; they get next to no traffic, the course is there to sell house lots and memberships and that hasn't happened, I could see them closing the doors some day soon.
        Driver -Titleist 913 Diamana D+ 72 x5ct S shaft
        Metal woods - 13* Titleist 980F Strong 3
        Hybrid - 19 * and 21*Titleist 585H
        Irons - Titleist AP2 712 5-PW
        SW - 56* Titleist Vokey Spin Mill
        GW - 52* Titleist Vokey Spin Mill
        Cleveland 588 60* Lob wedge
        Putter _ Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5
        Bag- Titleist
        Ball - Pro-V1x or Bridgestone B330 RX

NOTHING GREAT WAS EVER ACHIEVED WITHOUT ENTHUSIASM

Comment

Tell us more about Lake Nona, always been curious about that one. It's way out by the airport, yes?

So I just got back from a 10 day stint in the area, so figured I'd chime in...

No disprespect for those that stay at Highlands Reserve, but it's a below average course (considering what's available in the area) and the tourists can maybe skip that one. I've played it twice and while it's fun, the conditions have been quite a bit below the others. Unless that's changed in the past couple of years. Prices suggest it hasn't.

Celebration was recently overseeded, so it's cart path only. Tee off at 8am and done by 12:15, so it didn't impact pace much, but the course is quite wet, presumably with the heavy watering they do.

Falcons Fire was also over seeing but honesty, skip this course. It's probably on the lower end for the Disney area.

Shingle Creek is a good resort course. Lots of water, so you'd better be on your game.

Finally got to play Reuinion (where I stay), and played the Watson course as the Palmer was closed for seeding. Lots of sand, I mean tons. I had several good shots that rolled our bounced into the waste bunkers. Sounds funny, but it's a very unique course for a resort and worth playing. Nice, fast greens and a great practice facility.

I heard Mystic Dunes was under construction and are offering really low rates. Not sure if the course is being rerouted, or if they're building more homes. Didn't quite understand that, so for anyone booking there, call the pro shop to get the story.

It's also my understanding that Orange Lake Legends is in rough shape. Enquire before booking.

Royal St Cloud and Kissimmee are not wroth the drive if you're staying in the Disney area. Southern Dunes is though, if you like sand (hence the name).
          – Greg

Comment

Lake Nona was fantastic. From the time we got through the gates and drove up to the clubhouse it was first class.
            The practice facilities were great, very clean and immaculate.

Got to see the homes of Annika, Stenson, Poulter and several PGA players.
            The last three finishing holes were fantastic. The greens rolled great and the fairways were spotless.
            Bag- Titleist

Comment

Played Bella Collina today and have to say it was not worth the money we paid. Booked through Golfnow.com for US$105 plus taxes. The pro shop staff not friendly and the greens were pretty fuzzy and long. #16 was a long downhill 469 yard par 4 from the members tees which was a bit ridiculous. #17 was an uphill 439yard par 4 which required a carry of about 250yards uphill into a prevailing wind. The green is protected by a huge bunker for the second blind shot.

Would not recommend it for the money though the Men's locker room was pretty nice.

Playing Waldorf Astoria tomorrow.
              Bag- Titleist

Comment

Just played Falcons Fire.Greens a bit slow .Course a bit soft.All and all not bat for $ 35 tax in twilight rate .Finished in 220 by myself. Cart guy said they just replaced their useless super after 18 months of destroying the course.

Comment

Originally posted by Mersey View Post
                  Playing Waldorf Astoria tomorrow.
                  Let us know how you enjoyed that. It's now my favourite course (conditioning-wise) in the area. Not an easy track though.

Originally posted by steveooo View Post
                  Just played Falcons Fire. Cart guy said they just replaced their useless super after 18 months of destroying the course.
                  With neighbouring Grande Pines course closing, I guess Falcon's figured they could let their course decline. Stiff competition online now, so maybe they smartened up. Did the helicopter impact your enjoyment of the round?

Speaking of overhead distraction, we were bothered by a drone at Reunion. A few times on the tee block, this azzhole decided to buzz over us. Then on the back nine, I approached a family near the 12th fairway doing the same. I drove over and diplomatically lectured them. But it was not the same drone. Could this be a new threat to golf?
                  – Greg

Comment

Originally posted by synergy View Post
                    Let us know how you enjoyed that. It's now my favourite course (conditioning-wise) in the area. Not an easy track though.
                    Waldorf was in great shape. Everything was properly manicured and quite a challenging golf course. Like most Florida golf courses relatively flat but hazards are strategically placed. Some holes are narrow.

Of the five course I played this past weekend in order of quality and condition

1- Lake Nona, awesome facility from the time we drove up the course. Service and food were excellent. The course was immaculate and staff friendly and professional.

2(tie)- Waldorf Astoria, staff very friendly. The course was well maintained.

2(tie)- Disney Magnolia, check in was friendly and cheerful, Disney style. The starter was a grumpy old guy. The course was well maintained and greens rolled nice.

4- Bella Collina, greens were fuzzy and inconsistent. Pro shop staff not friendly but starter Charlie was friendly. The Men's Locker room is awesome. Probably the only reason it's ahead of Celebration.

5- Celebration, long check in with only one person behind the counter and about 6 groups waiting to check in. Greens were fuzzy and inconsistent. After the round the bag drop guy just watched us remove our clubs from the carts and walk them to our vehicle.
                    Bag- Titleist

Comment

For those that use the search function, if anyone is researching Orlando courses, I thought I'd post my group's assessment of the courses we played last week.

- North Shore (near the airport, we get in late Friday night)
                      2nd time we played it, better than I remember. The important thing is always the greens and as I recall thet were fine. A good course for your get-in or get-out day.

- Highlands Reserve
                      Again, 2nd time we played it. Almost no water hazards, unusual for the area. Overall, it was in good shape, we'd go back.

- Harmony
                      It's a drive from the Mouse, almost an hour. They have removed some traps to soften the layout, but it's still a good test. Conditions were fine, layout is good. No houses to speak of abutting the course, which is nice.

- Sanctuary Ridge
                      We got rained out, so can't comment on the conditions. It's about 30 minutes north of the Mouse, and has crazy fun elevation changes. Not to be missed.

- Harbor Hills (guest of a member)
                      About 75 minutes north of the Mouse. Good condition, pretty easy layout.

- Forest Lake
                      Flat course but in very good condition with excellent greens. We recommend it.

- Redtail
                      Wow, a hidden gem, the best course of the week. Great layout, and I don't think I've ever putted smoother greens.

- Rio Pinar
                      Old course near the airport, so it's a get-in or get-out course. Flat, but every fairway is tree-lined (pines), so expect to be chipping out a lot. Conditions were good, pro shop reception was excellent.
                      ----
                      Long Live the Patriarchy

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                      X