Collapse

Swing weight

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swing weight

Off the rack iron sets will be about D2 swing weight. I find that a little too light for me. I just adjusted my iron to play to D5. I find that with a higher swing weight, I am able to load the club a lot better and my swing feels more stable. With lighter swing weight, I tend to swing too hard. I read somewhere that increasing SW actually reduces flex and makes the club play softer? Can anyone comment on this? It would be interesting to know what swing weight ppl are playing out there for their irons. I think majority would be playing with off the rack iron which would be D2

Re: Swing weight

You are partially correct that SOMETIMES as you increase the swingweight you reduce the shaft flex.

Swingweight was actually developed some 100+ years ago as just that a means to fine tune flex......however you only reduec the flex when you add weight to the head and keep the shaft length and trim the same.

there are other means to increase swingweight besides adding head weight and those are :

increasing shaft length
    increasing shaft weight

as far as comparing your D5 swingweight to anybody else's here that is actually completely meaningless ...why you ask ? because swingweight is a byproduct of club assembly and exactly related to the weights of the specific components used so unless your grips, shafts and heads are all the exact same as somebody elses ...your D5 is not going to feel or play the same as somebody elses.....add to that the shafts balane points as well.

you can build to a D5 swingweight with ultralight graphite shafts and heavy x100 steel shafts...... they will not play nor will they feel the same at all..........swingweight as a target for assembly is really not a useful or meaningful parameter...9 yes it does in some cases increase the head feel.....but likewise i can build a sledgehammer to a D5 swingweight but you wont be able to swing it

as for why the mass marketed clubs are built to D2.....it is arbitrary thats all.......there has never been a valid reason as to why they chose this arbitrary sw............much like the same reason drivers are built to 45 inches and putters to 35...

personally i like very heavy clubs so use heavy shafts in my irons with extra head weight as well as heavy driver shafts often with 20 or 30 grams of back weight......i also use a very heavy headed putter, a Mentor....one that i can add signifivant weight to yet keep it at 32.5 inches in length....heavier clubs help me with my quick and aggressive swing and are often better suited for the physically stronger hitter type player...of which i fall under

Originally posted by br1828 View Post
    Off the rack iron sets will be about D2 swing weight. I find that a little too light for me. I just adjusted my iron to play to D5. I find that with a higher swing weight, I am able to load the club a lot better and my swing feels more stable. With lighter swing weight, I tend to swing too hard. I read somewhere that increasing SW actually reduces flex and makes the club play softer? Can anyone comment on this? It would be interesting to know what swing weight ppl are playing out there for their irons. I think majority would be playing with off the rack iron which would be D2
    Last edited by Weirfan; May 27, 2011, 07:58 PM.
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Re: Swing weight

My Cobra S2 Forged swing out at D2. My R9 TPs (sidelined right now) swing at D0. I'm not certain of the total weight of each, but the R9s definitely feel lighter to me. Sim clocks me several MPH faster when I switch to them after warming up with S2s. I'm hoping to go play a couple of rounds with them soon. Comparinig 7i (31 degrees) to 7i (35 degrees) in a sim. D0 R9s have me swinging a few MPH faster and hitting the same or 5 yards further with MORE loft on the club. Like I said, tempted to go game them soon.
      Driver: Callaway BB Epic 13.5, Veylix Alpina 673S - WILDEYE!
      16.5* 4W: Ping G25, Fujikura Pro Wood 63R
      20* 3H: Callaway Apex, Accra CS1 HB-M4
      4-A: Callaway Apex Combo, Project X LZ 5.5
      Wedges: TM TP 54/60-ATV, DG Spinner Wedge
      Putter: SC Sqaureback No. 1
      Bench: Ping Anser UST VTS TourSPX Hybrid Silver 75R
      RCGA Factor: 11.6 (75 up to....)

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard