Collapse

The club face: Open versus Closed

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The club face: Open versus Closed

This is the part of the swing I find amateurs have the toughest time with but it comes down to understand what is meant by Open versus Closed.

If we start simple - I think we can all agree that those 2 terms are relative terms and can relate to either the target line or club path but a Square face is one that is Perpendicular to the target line or path.

I also think that we can agree that the club must lean forward at impact to not only find the sweet spot but for maximum impact.

Take your impact position, with a forward leaning shaft and then re-orient your eyes to look straight down the shaft.

Where is the face relative to the shaft....

Re: The club face: Open versus Closed

Gee Nick

That is an interesting and important comment since I try to square my face at address (and not at impact position). It may explain a few observations on initial ball flight after impact.

I've got to re-look at my clubs when I get home....
    What's in my ClicGear-3.5 or Turf Chopper cart?

TM SIM2 Max Driver, 10.5 R shaft
    TM R5 3FW w/Nunchuk shaft
    TM Rescue Mid 3, 4, 5 w/E-21
    Eagle One shafts
    PXG Gen 1 0311 6 - PW w/E-21 Eagle One shafts
    '09 Vokey SM 52, 56, 60
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select 2.0 Putter
    Pro-V1x

Home Course at CL Glendale - Hamilton

Comment

Open, travelling out with the toe rapidly closing is my goal.
      I like big putts and I cannot lie
      You other putters can't deny
      That when a putt goes in with an itty bitty pace
      You're gonna fist pump in their face - Sir Putts-A-Lot

It's how well you golf fast!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NickStarchuk View Post
        This is the part of the swing I find amateurs have the toughest time with but it comes down to understand what is meant by Open versus Closed.

If we start simple - I think we can all agree that those 2 terms are relative terms and can relate to either the target line or club path but a Square face is one that is Perpendicular to the target line or path.

I also think that we can agree that the club must lean forward at impact to not only find the sweet spot but for maximum impact.

Take your impact position, with a forward leaning shaft and then re-orient your eyes to look straight down the shaft.

Where is the face relative to the shaft....
        is it possible to make a dynamic motion a static position? when "taking your impact position", for most it will be "take what you think is your impact position when in reality youre not even close".. or am I completely misguided here?

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyorbetter View Post

is it possible to make a dynamic motion a static position? when "taking your impact position", for most it will be "take what you think is your impact position when in reality youre not even close".. or am I completely misguided here?
          I would think this as well. Thats why amatuers and high cappers like myself hit bad shots. We dont know how to control the club face well.

Comment

Originally posted by TJames View Post
            We dont know how to control the club face well.
            I would suggest that trying to "control" the club face keeps a lot of high cappers....high cappers.

Comment

Originally posted by The Troll View Post
              I would suggest that trying to "control" the club face keeps a lot of high cappers....high cappers.
              this, worry about what your body is doing and the club will hit the ball

Comment

Sorry, I'm referring to the orientation of the golf club - not the body alignments.

"what would the club look like if Justin Rose could freeze and then walk away"

Originally posted by TJames View Post
                I would think this as well. Thats why amatuers and high cappers like myself hit bad shots. We dont know how to control the club face well.
                I don't think you know how the club face is supposed to fly..... its orientation in 3D.

The question is: when the Golf Club is in an Impact Location frozen in 3D space, what is the orientation of the FACE in relation to the SHAFT at this point in time.

A golf club displayed straight up and down in a proshop is very misleading.

Comment

Open, travelling out with the toe rapidly closing is my goal.
                  Open in relation to...?

travelling out I assume in relation to the target line

and rapidly closing to the path? the target?

Honestly asking....

Comment

Sorry, I'm referring to the orientation of the golf club - not the body alignments.

"what would the club look like if Justin Rose could freeze and then walk away"

I don't think you know how the club face is supposed to fly..... its orientation in 3D.

The question is: when the Golf Club is in an Impact Location frozen in 3D space, what is the orientation of the FACE in relation to the SHAFT at this point in time.

A golf club displayed straight up and down in a proshop is very misleading.
                    having a hard time grasping the question. from the way I'm understanding it : if you were to take a swing in 3-D, and the ability to freeze time at impact, where would the clubhead be in relation to the shaft

shot in the dark here, but the clubface would be OPEN in relation to the shaft. the hand path and club head path dictate this.

Comment

Open in relation to...?

Honestly asking....
                      travelling out in relation to target line, rapidly closing to path... I think

Comment

Man, this is the BEST quote I have heard in a long time !!!! Just superb.
                        Many thanks and cheers

Comment

Open in relation to...?

Honestly asking....
                          1) Target line but closed to the path

2) Target line

3) Far left of Target

4) It's okay to ask.

Comment

having a hard time grasping the question. from the way I'm understanding it : if you were to take a swing in 3-D, and the ability to freeze time at impact, where would the clubhead be in relation to the shaft

shot in the dark here, but the clubface would be OPEN in relation to the shaft. the hand path and club head path dictate this.
                            if a club could swing itself, i want to push pause on this movie right at the moment of impact... what does the club look like when it strikes the ball from a FACE on view... then look at the club from a DOWN THE SHAFT view.

now, relative to the shaft, what orientation is that club face.

try it.. get a club and look at it.

this answer leads to answering some of the responses and common golf ideas.

again, golf clubs displayed with the shaft straight up and down is very misleading to the way that product works.

Comment

Nice to see that my flaws create topics... it would be severly closed to the shaft and the hand path..
                              TM M1 - Graphite DesignTour AD DI 7x- Tipped 1" - 44.5"
                              TM M1 15*- Graphite DesignTour AD DI 8x- Tipped 1" - 43"
                              Adams Super Proto 20 - Graphite DesignTour AD DI 105x-
                              Miura MB001 - 4-PW - DG TI Onyx X100
                              Yurruri Raw Gekku 52,56,60 - DG TI Onyx S400
                              Bobby Grace Shiloh SS - TF - Accra Fx P200 - 35"
                              Titleist PROV1X

EAGLE RIDGE G.C

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays