Collapse

Poor Man Fitting + Gained ~ 25 Yards

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor Man Fitting + Gained ~ 25 Yards

My son forgedblade (FB) has been in search for a new driver to replace his 2004 Callaway Ti 454 with a Grafalloy Comp NT Nano 65-X (tipped extra so closer to XX+ flex).

I did some research and decided on a discontinued but new Adams XTD Ti adjustable in 9* LH variety. Ordered in S flex, since I wanted the shaft for my own XTD Ti 12* RH. Shafted it up with the same shaft from 2004/05, a Grafalloy Comp NT Nano 65-X tipped to identical frequency. Identical build specs, grip and length. We didn't spend 000' on a high end custom shaft or even $150 on a fitting

Played 9 holes today and the XTD Ti was a bomb and straight as an arrow with very little dispersion, nice piercing penetrating flight with generous hang time. He gained about 20 yards in the cold weather hitting into the wind. In nice warm weather, the driver combo would probably be in the 20 to 30 yards longer range by mid summer. He hasn't even adjusted the shaft yet, nor has he swung a club for 6 months.

Picked club up new off eBay super cheap. The 9* LH were all selling new for over a year at $549 USD each. I was watching every month for a significant price drop. I picked up two brand new XTD Ti 9* LH for an incredible low price of $105 USD for the pair.

On hole 9, Duane drove the green on a dog leg par 4. In the summer, he would be well over the back of the green and into the parking lot near the river bank ... its a bomb.

No fitting, just picked what might be a real good head and shafted it up with what he has always hit for a driver shaft. The only variable changed was the driver head.

I bought a new TM TP adapter sleeve. I like the fact it uses the TM TP sleeve adapter, so down the road if he is so inclined he can test pilot a TM driver, but no immediate need.

Right now FB couldn't be happier with my choice of a 'poor man fitting' + retro build. Total investment under $100, for a discontinued but new head, grip and shaft
    Last edited by TourIQ; Apr 24, 2016, 02:01 AM.
    Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
    Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
    Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Re: Poor Man Fitting + Gained ~ 25 Yards

Well done!

Comment

Well done ,I grabbed a callaway XR driver with a reg shaft and it's a bomb

Comment

The OPM sale had a bunch of Adams XTD drivers, fairways and hybrids for really cheap.
        I can't remember the prices but was definitely atleast 2/3 off the original MSRP.
        Sunmountain 3.5LS
        Cobra
        Fly Z+ driver, Fly Z+ 3 wood, Fly Z 2 & 4 hybrid
        Mizuno
        MP 59 5-PW, S5 52, 56 & 60 - KBS Tour S
        Scotty Cameron
        Newport 3

Comment

Originally posted by TourIQ View Post
          ... Identical build specs, grip and length. We didn't spend 000' on a high end custom shaft or even $150 on a fitting
          Absolutely great stuff !

I would be very curious to hear your opinion if that extra distance and accuracy can be attributed to any specific design aspect of the new driver, assuming the golfer is the same, of course ? Is it the driver face design, or something else ?
          Best of luck to you both and cheers !

Comment

Originally posted by cjcruz View Post
            The OPM sale had a bunch of Adams XTD drivers, fairways and hybrids for really cheap.
            I can't remember the prices but was definitely atleast 2/3 off the original MSRP.
            I would be all over these if I was still working

Comment

Originally posted by veryold1 View Post
              Absolutely great stuff !

I would be very curious to hear your opinion if that extra distance and accuracy can be attributed to any specific design aspect of the new driver, assuming the golfer is the same, of course ? Is it the driver face design, or something else ?
              Best of luck to you both and cheers !
              My opinion ... drivers are a hit and a miss even after a good fitting. 3 years ago, FB went to a Ping demo day to try the i20 irons which he loved and plays today retro fitted. He tried a G20 driver which was an absolute bomb, at least 30 yards longer. So I ordered 2 had them digitally lofted in Arizona at Ping WRX tour department. Paid big bucks for the pair and the were both duds, built to the same specs, shaft and head as the demo he hit 2 months earlier. Not even close to being the same club.

The fit and build on 13 of 14 clubs is relatively easy, the driver is a hit and miss for the accomplished player. Must be due to manufacturing tolerances (face thickness, etc.).

veryold1 its sad a company like Adams was bought by TM, as they made a ton of great drivers, fairway woods and hybrids. Now their current line is trash with tip diameters nobody can reshaft or modify. That's why people like Peter have claimed ... you hit the demo great then buy the demo.

Comment

Originally posted by nearace View Post
                Well done ,I grabbed a callaway XR driver with a reg shaft and it's a bomb
                nearace how old is the XR line-up?

Comment

My opinion ... drivers are a hit and a miss even after a good fitting...
                  Thanks so much for this detailed post - really appreciated and thanked.

Comment

nearace how old is the XR line-up?

Comment

Originally posted by nearace View Post
                      what did u pay for your bomb, and was it new?

Comment

what did u pay for your bomb, and was it new?
                        New ,260 approximately I had a few gift cards to spend.it was the lowest lofted adjustable driver I could find .

Comment

Sometimes you just get lucky with a shaft and head combination that works. For me, a few years ago, the V2 was the best shaft ever. I hit it great in all my woods (same specs as the Comp NT). Conversely, I tried the Mitsubishi Javln FX when it came out, same specs as V2 with slightly higher torque; which to me was the best of both worlds. It SUCKED, I lost by my eye, about 15 yards of carry and around 20+ yards overall.

Another hero fitting to brag about: but I got a guy 60 yards over his old driver a couple of months ago. On a good fit, 15-20 is a good outcome, if not about average for moving to newer clubs with more discretionary weighting yielding faster ball speeds and more efficient shaft loading while still maintaining the required restriction on head COR. Just today I got a guy 15 yards, and on Friday I got someone 25. It's always fun to nail a fitting and see the ball just take off and wave at the balls from the original driver.

Sounds like you fit your son well, good job.

Comment

Originally posted by Phatchrisrules View Post
                            Sometimes you just get lucky with a shaft and head combination that works. For me, a few years ago, the V2 was the best shaft ever. I hit it great in all my woods (same specs as the Comp NT). Conversely, I tried the Mitsubishi Javln FX when it came out, same specs as V2 with slightly higher torque; which to me was the best of both worlds. It SUCKED, I lost by my eye, about 15 yards of carry and around 20+ yards overall. Sounds like you fit your son well, good job.
                            Thanks Phatchrisrules. Do you know if the Grafalloy Comp NT Nano 65-X was a close replacement to the Grafalloy ProLaunch Axis 60-X? The Axis was about 5 years newer (2009) and a few grams heavier than the NT Nano. When I ran out of our supply of X-flex NT Nano for Duane then I bought 5 of the Axis shafts.

I once built for a guy who shot a personal best round his 1st game after hitting 20 balls on the range to warm up with his new sticks. Yes Hero Fittings are fun. 60 is huge was he using a wood wood?
                            Last edited by TourIQ; Apr 24, 2016, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Thanks Phatchrisrules. Do you know if the Grafalloy Comp NT Nano 65-X was a close replacement to the Grafalloy ProLaunch Axis 60-X? The Axis was about 5 years newer (2009) and a few grams heavier than the NT Nano. When I ran out of our supply of X-flex NT Nano for Duane then I bought 5 of the Axis shafts.

I once built for a guy who shot a personal best round his 1st game after hitting 20 balls on the range to warm up with his new sticks. Yes Hero Fittings are fun. 60 is huge was he using a wood wood?
                              I actually have no idea what the specs are of either of those apart from being mid launch low spin on the NT and mid-high flight with mid spin on the Axis. I tried looking it up and got nothing online.

As for the 60 yard increase, he went from Burner Superfast to Ping G SF Tec with the Tour 65 Reg. Obviously his first driver was a horrible fit for him in the first place. We went from 186 average (200 on a real good drive) to just over 240 average distance with a couple around 250 when he caught it well. His dispersion went from around a 30+ yard slice to being a consistent fade right down the line, no more than 10 yards off. I was very surprised at the outcome, but he was blown away...to date, my most successful driver fit I've ever done!

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X