Thinking of getting 5 6 7 8 graphite
    And 9 pw in steel

Good idea or bad idea?

Re: mixed shafts iron set?

Originally posted by hemants View Post
    And 9 pw in steel

Good idea or bad idea?
    Probably a bad idea unless you get some heavier weighted graphite shafts and lighter weighted steel. So for instance, if you went something in the 75-85 gram range in the long clubs and then 95 or so in the shorter. You'd have to make sure you match bend profiles and launch characteristics pretty similarly as well or you'd end up with two sets of irons that behave very differently. I get the idea though, lighter to get the ball up in the long irons, and heavier to flight the ball and control your spin in the short. If that's the idea, I would look into something like that, but in a light weight model, since you have hybrids to the 5i. Maybe look at Aldila VX graphite shafts (low cost option) or SteelFibre i80 (high cost option) as these both weigh ~85g for your long clubs. Then in your short irons you could look at the Nippon 950 or XP 95...that way the launch windows and descent angles are about even (mid-high launch, steep descent due to higher spin) and the weight categories wouldn't be too far off.

I know a few touring pros have graphite in their 2/3/4 irons and steel in the rest. This is because they act like hybrids for them, they want to get the ball airborne quicker, with more ballspeed, and a slightly flatter descent angle so they can play those run-up type shots on mid length par 5s. Is that the idea here or am I way off base?
    Last edited by Phatchrisrules; May 19, 2016, 03:44 PM.

Comment

And 9 pw in steel

Good idea or bad idea?
      Bad idea !
      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Good idea or bad idea?
        ... WHY?
        Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
        Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
        Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Why not just go graphite in all shafts?

I play recoil shafts, they play and feel very similar to steel, but have all of the advantages (lighter weight, less vibration) than steel

I never understood the concept of why shorter shafts (ie slower swinging) should be stiffer.

Comment

The UST Mamiya Recoil shafts might be something that the original poster may be trying to achieve. They are ascending weight shafts in taper tips. They are flighted so the profiles are not the same for each iron shaft, but this can be a good thing.

Here is a good review of the Recoil shaft that might open up some more insight into Recoil characteristics.

UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype Iron Shafts - Ascending Weight Taper By Russ Ryden, A Golf Digest America's 100 Best Clubfitter Fit2Score, Dallas Fort Worth, Texas In the recent past, composite iron shafts were not looked on as something suitable for strong, low handicap, competitive golfers.
            Engineered Golf
            7 Brent Court
            North Bay, ON
            P1B 9M4
            www.engineeredgolf.ca

Comment

Originally posted by ctv1 View Post
              Why not just go graphite in all shafts?

I never understood the concept of why shorter shafts (ie slower swinging) should be stiffer.
              To match the stiffnes across the set. Shorter irons have very heavy heads while long irons have lighter heads( usually 7 grams difference per head)
              So the PW will be shorter in length but with a heavier head therefore the stiffness is the same but the frequency meter tells you otherwise. It is all about beam length and head weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Tintin View Post
                To match the stiffnes across the set. Shorter irons have very heavy heads while long irons have lighter heads( usually 7 grams difference per head)
                So the PW will be shorter in length but with a heavier head therefore the stiffness is the same but the frequency meter tells you otherwise. It is all about beam length and head weight.
                Tintin is your frequency chart based on grip on or off?
                Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
                Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
                Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Grip off. If you move the image to the left you'll see what you are looking for. I got it off the net. http://noswetgolf.com/FrequencyMatchedShafts.aspx

It is the PCS chart that came with the equalizer when the PCS was still around.

Comment

And 9 pw in steel

Good idea or bad idea?
                    It could work.. I think you would want the 9 and pw to play similar to your wedges, so even if you go lighter weight steel to transition from wedges to long irons it would be good to go with a similar bend profile.
                    TM M2 D-type 9.5 Accra CS1 70
                    TM Jetspeed tour 19* Accra CS1 80
                    TM M2 tour 4-9 Accra ICWT 95
                    Callaway X-Forged 48, 52, 58, 64 Pro Modus3 105
                    Nike method MC3i

Osprey Valley Century Club
                    100 holes - May 2, 2016

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard