Collapse

Cutting down driver shaft

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting down driver shaft

If someone could explain the weight effect of the club head after cutting down the shaft? I've been hearing you must counter balance by adding weight to head after you cut the shaft... no one ever mentions why? what happens if one doesn't? weight distribution is off which does what?

Just want to get a little more understanding on the subject.
    In the bag:
    -TaylorMade R15 driver/ aldila nv 2kxv 65g x-stiff
    -Cleveland Classic 3 Wood strong 14*
    -TaylorMade Burner 2.0 5-PW irons
    -Nike Vr 58, 54, 52 deg. wedge
    -Custom milled putter from 303SS

Re: Cutting down driver shaft

I am no expert but I did wonder the same before. In my novice explanation would be that when you do butt trim a shaft the swing weight is lost... So in my words would be its a little more headlight when you cut down the shaft much like a hammer with a shorter handle. If you want the hammer head to feel the same you would want to add the weight back on the head to counteract the effects of a shorter handle. If the weight distribution is off ie. the head is going to feel lighter maybe you will just swing it through even faster? (not 100% on that)

Thats just what I had in my head. I am not really good at explaining things so maybe some other nuts with more knowledge and are better with words can help you clear it up a little more. just my 2cent

Comment

I think I read (and people who really know please chime in) but for every inch you butt trim a shaft you lose 6 swing weight points. I've trimmed shafts as much as 3/4 inch with no issue and the club felt the same. I have added lighter grips which helps even things out some.
      Bag: PING Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Floral
      Driver: TM SIM2 MAX @ 10.5*
      Wood: TM SIM2 MAX @ 15*
      Hybrids: TM SIM2 22*
      Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW
      Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60*
      Putter: SGC WB Northwood
      Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Comment

Ok so for argument sakes it's 6 swing weight points.. but what does that mean and translate to.

In my mind if I find the ballance point of my club and cut the butt end, it will tip forward towards the head meaning you have to add weight to the butt, not the head.

But again, I'm more concerned with the why.. why should we counter balance after cutting, what are the effects.. what does it throw off, would the face react different etc.
        In the bag:

Comment

mainly feel I believe and if you trim too much... shaft stiffness.
          Bag: PING Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Floral
          Driver: TM SIM2 MAX @ 10.5*
          Wood: TM SIM2 MAX @ 15*
          Hybrids: TM SIM2 22*
          Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW
          Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60*
          Putter: SGC WB Northwood
          Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Comment

I actually read butt trimming affects stiffness marginally, it's tip trimming that has more effect. But that isn't the same as balance.

The feel will change simple from shaft being shorter.. if that's all it was then no biggie
            In the bag:

Comment

It will have a swing weight effect, and have some effect on stiffness. Generally 1 inch or less you are fine, more than an inch and it will play noticeably stiffer even from butt trimming. However if you add back weight to the head to maintain swingweight it will generally have a net softening effect on the shaft, or the shaft will play outside of its designed parameters. I say go for it, nothing to lose really unless its a really expensive shaft.
              Cobra Fly-Z - stock Stiff Matrix, playing at 44 inches
              Snake Eyes Tour Viper 3 wood, 2 hybrid.
              Maltby Ke4 Tour irons, 4,6,8,P - Integra i-drive stiff
              Powerbilt 52 degree
              Snake Eyes 60 degree
              Seemore FGP

Irons and woods fitted by Dan's Custom Golf Shop

Comment

I've had countless shafts trimmed down and never concerned myself with stiffness or swingweight. While there will be changes, unless you are significantly concerned with these things, it likely won't matter much to you.
                MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

It all depends if you can feel it or not.
                  For me I cut my shaft once like 4 years ago. While i wasn't all that good of s golfer back then and couldn't really "feel" the difference in weight results were horrible.
                  I was missing all over. I then added weight to the head and instantly like instantly shot dispersion became normal again, however like I said with or without the 3 grams that I added I couldn't feel any different but results were night and day.
                  Having said all of this. I did not gain any consistency in hitting fairways, so went back to 45 inch driver.
                  I actually feel more comfortable with a longer driver I feel like it's easier to make a bigger shoulder turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Doba View Post
                    I actually read butt trimming affects stiffness marginally, it's tip trimming that has more effect. But that isn't the same as balance.

The feel will change simple from shaft being shorter.. if that's all it was then no biggie
                    yes you will change very little else other than the balance point, which will be closer to the clubhead now.
                    The only major effect of a weight change will be on your swing timing. You'll have to muck with that.
                    things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

If you have a TM or Titleist or Ping driver you can buy weights from a seller on ebay located in the GTA. I have several weights for my 915 driver & fairway & hybrid, and also a roll of lead tape in the bag.

Even different shafts weighted in the same weight class ( say 65gr ) may feel different in the same head ( depending on flex, torque, and shaft construction).
                      2gr + / - can aid in dialing in your desired feel.
                      Last edited by ARL67; Jul 7, 2016, 05:41 PM.
                      🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
                      Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
                      Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
                      Titleist TSR1 20* & 26* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
                      Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
                      Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
                      Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

As you cut down the length of a shaft - the head is no longer heavy enough for the new length.

So let's cut down a driver by 1 inch hypothetically.
                        The driver head is 200g for a 45 inch total length club. As clubs get shorter the head gets heavier to maintain - lets say a D2 swing weight. One swing weight point is 2g of head weight. So we need to increase the head weight by 12g to maintain a D2 swing weight.

So cutting the driver by 1 inch the head is now 12g too light for its new length, and it will feel head light to most. Now during the swing you start to loose the ability to feel the head at the top of your swing. By adding back in the 12g the feel will return.

All that being said, many players will experience very little difference in the feel, where a good player will pick up on this quickly.

Your big long driver is the lightest club in your bag and your short little sand wedge is the heaviest (by 100g in head weight alone).

Try swinging a shaft with no head on it and you will get what I mean.
                        Regards
                        Dan

True Length Technology TM
                        Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
                        True Frequency Technology TM
                        - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
                        - Master
                        Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
                        - Advanced / Professional
                        Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
                        - Class 'A'

Comment

Perfect, thanks Dan for that great explanation.

I do have that issue with the head being a little too light for me, my other daily driver..lol.. is heavier and works better for me.. i'd like to experiment furthermore with lead tape see how my swing reacts with different weight distributions.
                          In the bag:

Comment

and ....

Swingweight is an old method that attempts to balance out a set of golf clubs that all have different lengths using static weight.

Another option is moment of inertia that attempts to balance out a set of clubs using the force required to swing a club. Using moment of inertia a standard length / weight driver requires too much force and reducing its length helps lower the moment of inertia to bring it more in line with the rest of the clubs.

Comment

Originally posted by ctv1 View Post
                              a standard length / weight driver requires too much force and reducing its length helps lower the moment of inertia to bring it more in line with the rest of the clubs.
                              AAAHHH, maybe this is why DeChamboe took weight off from the bottom of his driver head ?
                              Thanks and cheers !

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X