Retrieve Ball After Chip In?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Retrieve Ball After Chip In?

Originally posted by bogey5 View Post
    Some golfers are just more anal than others.
    Some golfers like to blame anything they can for their poor play/missed shots.
    How exactly did the anal ones suggest you caused the strange one to make a bad shot?
    You don't think having someone walk across the green in front of your putt or chip would have an effect?

I think the anal ones are the ones who invent special rules about who gets to pick their ball out of the cup first!
    "Confusion" will be my epitaph
    ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
      You don't think having someone walk across the green in front of your putt or chip would have an effect?

I think the anal ones are the ones who invent special rules about who gets to pick their ball out of the cup first!
      "During my retrieval the stranger decided to begin his chipping routine"

I don't think it unusual to wait for somebody to go get a ball chipped in from greenside. Not different from sinking a long putt. Some would complain if he didn't remove it before they play. Still no explanation for how he affected the other's shot which is why I asked.

Comment

So if you left it on the lip he'd expect you to leave it there? You have every right to retrieve it
        MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Effectively, what you did was to walk around in front of another player while they were making their stroke.
          It is up to the person about to chip to determine if the player who holed his stroke is going to retrieve his ball, or not. Since he did not, his being disturbed is his fault. What is even more disturbing is that this issue has to be discussed at all.

Comment

For every player who would insist that you wait, there is another player who would insist that you remove your ball from the hole in order to ensure that it could not interfere with his ball should it fall into the hole.

While there is sufficient volume in a standard hole to contain at least two balls, it is also true that a falling ball could be deflected out of the hole after striking a stationary ball in the hole.

IMO, the guy who complained was out of line and was foolish to suggest that you ruined his shot. He's a grown man, he could have waited, and he's just making excuses.

Comment

Not if I started walking across the green before he initiated his chip or putt.

Comment

Originally posted by OKHC View Post
                There's no rule that provides the answer, so you don't have "every" or any right to insist that you remove your ball before the other guy hits.

What if you were the first to play on a par 3, and shot a hole in one; would you insist on removing your ball from the hole before the others played?

So, I think it comes down to everyone paying attention; in your situation, if the other guy is preparing to play, stay still and let him hit. He should be paying attention too, and if you're walking to the hole, then he should wait. If there's some momentary tension over who's doing what, first, I'd expect mature adults would forget about it within minutes.
                This ^^^

Perhaps op should have waited, perhaps not.

I would have waited for you .
                "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post
                  Not if I started walking across the green before he initiated his chip or putt.
                  I'm not sure if we know the actual sequence of events. There are many times when two players have gone to make their shots at the same time, unaware of what the other is doing.

I would have thought it's up to the retriever to determine if the next player wanted to proceed or not. Much like pulling the flag.

Other than letting a guy putting "finish up", are there other circumstances where I should be asking if it's okay if I play my shot when I'm away?

Regardless, I'm on the side of the OP's dad and brother. Maybe it's an age thing... I'll also reiterate my support for OKHC's concept of awareness. Both parties missed that.
                  ...Iggy

Comment

Wouldn't have killed the guy to say "great shot, just leave it there, I'm good to go".

Little misunderstandings like that happen all the time. Guy could chill a little. No discourtesy or malfeasance on your part.

Comment

Originally posted by Leafygreen View Post
                      So I was playing a round today with 3 other people (dad, friend, and stranger) and happened to chip a ball into the cup from just outside the green. After sinking the chip i proceeded to retrieve said ball so that the hole would be empty. During my retrieval the stranger decided to begin his chipping routine and I was alerted after getting my ball by both my friend and father that I screwed up his shot and shouldn't have taken my ball out...

I guess I was under the impression that removal of a chip in takes precedence over other shots? My father was pretty disappointed in me but I feel like the stranger should have waited? Who is at fault here haha?
                      Your partners clearly saw that you were oblivious to the other player starting his shot routine. Once somebody is into their shot, your movement does cause a distraction and often messes up the player's shot. Being forced to back off is not much fun. As a quick player, this is a frequent interference I have difficulty tolerating. Speed of play is helped if everybody is allowed to get on green before doing anything else (unless a ball is in the way and absolutely must be marked). What"s the rush to get ball out of hole without being asked?

Comment

i agree strangers fault on this one he should have been aware that you were walking up to retrieve your ball sounds like to me he just needed something to blame on a bad chip
                        M1 460
                        SLDR 3HL
                        Rescue tp 09
                        R
                        SI
                        TP Forged 4-9
                        R EF 47, 51, 55, 60
                        Ghost Tour Daytona 12
                        TM Tour Preferred X

Comment

you don't say whether the flagstick was in, or not, when you chipped in.

If it was in, the fellow should have waited till you retrieved your ball. There is every chance your ball though in, might be wedged off the bottom of the cup.
                          If Mr. Hasty had also chipped in, only to see his ball bounce out because it came down on top of yours...........
                          obviously on a Par three everybody plays their ball before you get yours out.
                          things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by Galted View Post
                            What"s the rush to get ball out of hole without being asked?
                            A stationary ball already in the hole could potentially deflect a ball falling into the hole.

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
                              you don't say whether the flagstick was in, or not, when you chipped in.

If it was in, the fellow should have waited till you retrieved your ball. There is every chance your ball though in, might be wedged off the bottom of the cup.
                              If Mr. Hasty had also chipped in, only to see his ball bounce out because it came down on top of yours...........
                              obviously on a Par three everybody plays their ball before you get yours out.
                              Originally posted by Benz View Post
                              A stationary ball already in the hole could potentially deflect a ball falling into the hole.
                              In both these cases the loss would be on the guy chipping.

That's why I think it's his call whether you get to remove it or not. Maybe he's just not used to delaying for no particularly good reason.

Zebb suggests the onus is on the chipper to communicate that he doesn't want the ball removed. I'd say it's at least equally on the guy removing it. A simple "everyone stand around while I walk over and retrieve my ball. I'll try to keep off everyone's lines..." would have helped too.

In the end, no big deal either way. Just communicate and pay attention.
                              ...Iggy

Comment

In both these cases the loss would be on the guy chipping.

That's why I think it's his call whether you get to remove it or not. Maybe he's just not used to delaying for no particularly good reason.

Zebb suggests the onus is on the chipper to communicate that he doesn't want the ball removed. I'd say it's at least equally on the guy removing it. A simple "everyone stand around while I walk over and retrieve my ball. I'll try to keep off everyone's lines..." would have helped too.

In the end, no big deal either way. Just communicate and pay attention.
                                Have experienced all 3 chipping and going to mark or retrieve balls on every hole. Five hour round! Not sure about ball might bounce out argument. In over thirty years, including when practice putting with multiple balls, I have never once seen a ball bounce out of a regulation depth hole with a ball already in it. The odds of two chips going in is like odds of getting hit by lightning anyways. Agree with you that the next player to play is one who decides whether ball should be removed or marked (if not interfering with next shot). Also agree with you that OP facts might vary in the eyes of his partners. Being aware of others and communicating should always prevail.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X