Starting your downswing - Video!!!

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Starting your downswing - Video!!!

Originally posted by ndrpar View Post
    I believe the lower initially engages the ground to supply an anchor/brace in which to pivot around. This would happen a split second before the arms starts downward. Your brain knows what to do if you let it which is why the throwing the ball drill is so effective.

If you quickly fire your lower from the top, you will most likely leave your upper body lagging (in a bad way) and trapped behind, you will have nothing but arms and a high strain level to deal with.
    Leaving your upper body lagging (in a bad way) is exactly what I see when golfers try and start with the lower body.

Even in Larry's video, when he throws the ball while 'leading with the lower body', the move looks unnatural and his upper body lags (in a bad way).

Maybe he's exaggerating to make a point... I think it's the wrong point though.

Then Larry ends the video with a gorgeous looking swing..where it does not look like he's intentionality leading with his lower body.

Comment

Originally posted by Element View Post
      Am I the only one who disagrees with 'trying' to get your lowerbody to 'move' first?

Edit: I think it happens automatically when swinging the golf club properly.
      If someone swings the golf club properly (I prefer to say efficiently as who are we to say whats proper or not =P), then yes the lower will automatically start the downswing. BUT, if everyone was swinging efficiently, then the average score would be lower and this video and the numerous others online wouldn't have been made =)

Originally posted by ndrpar View Post
      I believe the lower initially engages the ground to supply an anchor/brace in which to pivot around. This would happen a split second before the arms starts downward. Your brain knows what to do if you let it which is why the throwing the ball drill is so effective.

If you quickly fire your lower from the top, you will most likely leave your upper body lagging (in a bad way) and trapped behind, you will have nothing but arms and a high strain level to deal with.
      Well said G!
      Larrycheunggolf.com

Comment

Leaving your upper body lagging (in a bad way) is exactly what I see when golfers try and start with the lower body.

Even in Larry's video, when he throws the ball while 'leading with the lower body', the move looks unnatural and his upper body lags (in a bad way).

Maybe he's exaggerating to make a point... I think it's the wrong point though.

Then Larry ends the video with a gorgeous looking swing..where it does not look like he's intentionality leading with his lower body.
        I'd have to disagree with you on this one, I thought the throws looked pretty good =P. There will have to be some separation between upper and lower on the downswing.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point. Can you elaborate? =)
        Larrycheunggolf.com

Comment

My main point (question actually), is why don't other 'bat' and ball sports teach that the lower body must 'fire' first. (even though the lower body automatically does move first) Why is golf an exception?
          Last edited by Element; Dec 16, 2016, 07:36 AM. Reason: For clarity

Comment

My main point (question actually), is why don't other 'bat' and ball sports teach that the lower body must 'fire' first. (even though the lower body automatically does move first) Why is golf an exception?
            Is that the answer right there (in bold). In ball sports like Baseball, we automatically have a natural dynamic and athletic motion: we naturally swing a bat, or throw a ball with the lower body first (not the arms first). It's natural, so no one has to make a video on that point.

In golf, the ball just sits there on the ground, giving people lots of time and space to do unnatural things (unatural could be to swing arms first, or it could be to overdo the lower body first motion) that you would never do if you were swinging at a moving ball.

Comment

Originally posted by multimut View Post
              Is that the answer right there (in bold). In ball sports like Baseball, we automatically have a natural dynamic and athletic motion: we naturally swing a bat, or throw a ball with the lower body first (not the arms first). It's natural, so no one has to make a video on that point.

In golf, the ball just sits there on the ground, giving people lots of time and space to do unnatural things (unatural could be to swing arms first, or it could be to overdo the lower body first motion) that you would never do if you were swinging at a moving ball.
              Good question Element, I think Multimut makes a good point, and to expand on that, when we swing a bat or throw a baseball, we literally take a step towards our target, so you could say I'm leading with my lower body first as well
              Larrycheunggolf.com

Comment

IMHO, i think that the subject question of this thread, that i suggested to Larry (how to start the downswing) was a wrong question to ask. IOW, it would've been better to ask: "which part of the body provides the power in the golf swing, legs/hips or trailing arm ?"

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post
                  IMHO, i think that the subject question of this thread, that i suggested to Larry (how to start the downswing) was a wrong question to ask. IOW, it would've been better to ask: "which part of the body provides the power in the golf swing, legs/hips or trailing arm ?"
                  all of the above,connecting all the pieces is the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by multimut View Post

I think it's more than that. Imagine hitting a soccer ball that is sitting on the ground with a baseball bat. Your lower body will fire first.

Tee ball is another example of hitting a ball not in motion with a stick.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryCheung View Post
                      Good question Element, I think Multimut makes a good point, and to expand on that, when we swing a bat or throw a baseball, we literally take a step towards our target, so you could say I'm leading with my lower body first as well

See your point, I guess. You can swing a bat and throw a ball without stepping forward though, so doesn't really answer my question.

Comment

That’s just scratching the surface. It all starts with a proper grip and hand pressure.

Experiment with hitting low punch 7 irons 70yds then gradually increase your distance 5-10yds. I think you will discover what powers your swing. Centre-faced contact is key, without it you lose distance. Strain level should feel 5 out of 10. Have you had a lesson with a teaching pro before? Larry is good.

Comment

I think that over complicates the issue.

'what starts the downswing' is a simple question...

Comment

I think that over complicates the issue.

'what starts the downswing' is a simple question...
                            It's a chain.

I know my arms can move quicker than my heavy body, so I'll give it a head start and let my arms catch up.

Also, I like to think of my swing and how I want to finish. I than work my way back to see what I need to do to get there.

Another good analogy is the sequence of throwing a punch and where the power comes from.

Focus on where you want the ball to go and not where it starts.

Comment

See your point, I guess. You can swing a bat and throw a ball without stepping forward though, so doesn't really answer my question.
                              I've never seen anyone swing a bat or throw a ball without stepping forward. =p I agree you can, but I've never seen someone do it.

From a movement standpoint, swinging a golf club has many similarities to other explosive movements, what makes it different is that we are trying to hit the ball to a small target and a intended distance, and this wrecks havoc with a person's thought process.

Batting 333 will make you a great hitter in the big leagues, but if you play golf and tee off at a 333 clip, you won't be playing much longer, can you imagine playing golf knowing that there is a 66% chance your ball will be out of play every single tee shot. You start doing new things in an effort to keep your ball in play.

There is no perfect golf tip, there are so many variables, and different ways to do it. But my preference is for the lower body to lead the upper body. If that happens automatically for you, and you don't have to think about it, then that is awesome, but most people don't have that luxury.

But keep in mind that in my video and post that I'm encouraging a push into the ground, not a "firing" of the hips from the top of your backswing. Since the most common issue is over the top, slices, and people who hit the ball shorter than they are capable of, this video addresses a move that could help improve all 3 points without changing anything else =)

Hope that answer's your question

Originally posted by DCBABY View Post
                              It's a chain.

I know my arms can move quicker than my heavy body, so I'll give it a head start and let my arms catch up.

Also, I like to think of my swing and how I want to finish. I than work my way back to see what I need to do to get there.

Another good analogy is the sequence of throwing a punch and where the power comes from.

Focus on where you want the ball to go and not where it starts.
                              I like that punch analogy, another good example of an explosive movement and where the power comes from! =)
                              Larrycheunggolf.com

Comment

Thanks Larry for your detailed response.
                                I've never seen anyone swing a bat or throw a ball without stepping forward. =p I agree you can, but I've never seen someone do it.
                                You must be more of a Raptors fan then... Haha.
                                Watch any short stop in action. Double plays would never happen if they had to stop, turn towards the target, step forward and then throw. Just doesn't happen. Steeping forward is just not a requirement for throwing a ball.
                                From a movement standpoint, swinging a golf club has many similarities to other explosive movements, what makes it different is that we are trying to hit the ball to a small target and a intended distance, and this wrecks havoc with a person's thought process
                                With all due respect, I find this hard to believe. Any 100+ golfer (average or slightly below average) isn't pin hunting, they just want to hit the ball and have it go in the air. Put that golfer on a wide open driving range without any targets and they'll still put a poor swing on it. Ibthink the issue is one of how a golf club differs from a bat/racket/ping pong paddle. People aren't being taught how to adjust accordingly.
                                Batting 333 will make you a great hitter in the big leagues, but if you play golf and tee off at a 333 clip, you won't be playing much longer, can you imagine playing golf knowing that there is a 66% chance your ball will be out of play every single tee shot. You start doing new things in an effort to keep your ball in play.
                                Not a great apology, if a baseball batter hits a good ball and it's caught, it doesn't count as a hit. And it's a pitcher vs batter scenario.
                                Tee ball with no opposing team to catch the ball would be a more just analogy. Guys would be averaging 1000.

There is no perfect golf tip, there are so many variables, and different ways to do it. But my preference is for the lower body to lead the upper body. If that happens automatically for you, and you do have to think about it, then that is awesome, but most people don't have that luxury.
                                That's the main point I'm trying to communicate, I feel that EVERYONE would lead with the lower body automatically if they were taught how to swing a club properly. Just like EVERYONE leads with their lower body in other bat/ball sports...

But keep in mind that in my video and post that I'm encouraging a push into the ground, not a "firing" of the hips from the top of your backswing. Since the most common issue is over the top, slices, and people who hit the ball shorter than they are capable of, this video addresses a move that could help improve all 3 points without changing anything else =)
                                Don't get me started... Haha.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X