Collapse

3 Wood Woes

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Wood Woes

This year I am bound and determined to actually use the 3 wood I bought a couple of years ago, (Taylor Made RBZ, stiff shaft, 15* loft) rather than just carry it in my bag for no real purpose. (Similar issue with my 3 hybrid – but that’s another story) Not using this club is leaving a big gap in my line up.

My problem is that I feel the club to be awkward and have no confidence with it. I just can’t seem to get solid contact; I either top the ball, or, when I do get it to launch, I mostly produce hooks and slices thought to be impossible for a golf ball to perform.

I watched a number of videos on the subject and appreciate ball positioning and avoiding upper body movement in an effort to help “lift” the ball. One video instructor said it was the most difficult club in the bag to hit. Some advice was conflicting, such as hitting down on the ball, vs brushing.

With all of that in mind, I went to Launch on Wednesday, and worked through a couple of buckets on the 3 wood. Despite the usual topping, flubs and wild trajectories, I did mange to nail some fabulous long straight shots, rivaling a decent drive. So I know I can do it.

I was focussing in on keeping my upper body angles stable, initiation of the down stroke starting with the left leg side (I play right) and keeping the right elbow from flapping about away from my torso. One drill I did was to take short back strokes, in an effort to get a feel for good contact. On the full swings, I managed to go for stretches of 4- 5 really good shots, bracketed with strings of terrible ones. Most misses were pulls to the left. I seemed to do best with a very conscious swing thought and effort at starting my down stroke from the left side.

So, I went to Annandale yesterday to “field test” my practice, and met with similar results, The occasional really great shots, but many others, much less so. Right now, If I am to game this club, I may be restricted to using it in situations where there are few hazards and ample fairway space. Trying to finesse a 3 wood shot into a tight landing area with trouble all around would be a high risk venture – nice if it worked...but.

I plan on continuing to work on this through the winter so I can haul it out in the spring. I may even take some lessons.

However, I am sure there is some collectivity of wisdom among this august group on proper approaches to using a 3 wood. What advice do you have?

And no...I am not putting it on BST...well not just yet anyway.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Re: 3 Wood Woes

Not only is the 3 wood one of the hardest club to hit off the ground, the RBZ is horrible off of the ground. Numerous threads exist on this topic at WRX and other sites. I ditched mine and went back to my diablo edge tour and it was night and day. I finally settle on the G25. If you want to keep it, use it off the tee only as it is a cannon if your having troubles with the driver.

Does anyone have any advise on what I can do to get the ball up in the air and down the fairway? I am hitting very low hooks off the grass (sometimes spinning left sharply), but teeing it up isn't an issue at all. Lately, I have been using my 18* hybrid because I have no faith in my ability with ...
    Last edited by hammy1983; Jan 13, 2017, 02:31 PM.
    Driver - Taylormade SIM MAX 9.0 Diamana S
    3W - Taylormade M4
    5 wood - Callaway X Hot
    4 Hybrid - Taylormade R15
    Irons - Taylormade 2017 P790 5-PW
    Wedge - 52 Raw Jaws/56 MD 2 tour grind
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comment

Perfect timing for this thread...
      I'm in the same boat with the same 3 wood. The odd excellent shot but the majority are topped and don't go more than 100 yards.
      I can hit a Cobra 5 wood without issue, but the RBZ 3 wood drives me nuts...

sorry for the hijack!

Comment

Originally posted by Fore Warned View Post
        This year I am bound and determined to actually use the 3 wood I bought a couple of years ago, (Taylor Made RBZ, stiff shaft, 15* loft) rather than just carry it in my bag for no real purpose. (Similar issue with my 3 hybrid – but that’s another story) Not using this club is leaving a big gap in my line up.

My problem is that I feel the club to be awkward and have no confidence with it. I just can’t seem to get solid contact; I either top the ball, or, when I do get it to launch, I mostly produce hooks and slices thought to be impossible for a golf ball to perform.

I watched a number of videos on the subject and appreciate ball positioning and avoiding upper body movement in an effort to help “lift” the ball. One video instructor said it was the most difficult club in the bag to hit. Some advice was conflicting, such as hitting down on the ball, vs brushing.

With all of that in mind, I went to Launch on Wednesday, and worked through a couple of buckets on the 3 wood. Despite the usual topping, flubs and wild trajectories, I did mange to nail some fabulous long straight shots, rivaling a decent drive. So I know I can do it.

I was focussing in on keeping my upper body angles stable, initiation of the down stroke starting with the left leg side (I play right) and keeping the right elbow from flapping about away from my torso. One drill I did was to take short back strokes, in an effort to get a feel for good contact. On the full swings, I managed to go for stretches of 4- 5 really good shots, bracketed with strings of terrible ones. Most misses were pulls to the left. I seemed to do best with a very conscious swing thought and effort at starting my down stroke from the left side.

So, I went to Annandale yesterday to “field test” my practice, and met with similar results, The occasional really great shots, but many others, much less so. Right now, If I am to game this club, I may be restricted to using it in situations where there are few hazards and ample fairway space. Trying to finesse a 3 wood shot into a tight landing area with trouble all around would be a high risk venture – nice if it worked...but.

I plan on continuing to work on this through the winter so I can haul it out in the spring. I may even take some lessons.

However, I am sure there is some collectivity of wisdom among this august group on proper approaches to using a 3 wood. What advice do you have?

And no...I am not putting it on BST...well not just yet anyway.
        My only thought is hit down ,hard to do on the mat it hurts sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderbolt View Post
          Perfect timing for this thread...
          I'm in the same boat with the same 3 wood. The odd excellent shot but the majority are topped and don't go more than 100 yards.
          I can hit a Cobra 5 wood without issue, but the RBZ 3 wood drives me nuts...

sorry for the hijack!
          No hijack, we're in the same boat.

Interesting what Hammy1983 had to say about the reputation this club has.

I would have to really feel comfortable with going out and purchasing another 3 wood before I give up on this one, as I have a similar problem with my 3 hybrid. For wherever reason, I seem to have issues with "woods", as opposed to irons.

I have not played long enough, or used so many different clubs as to appreciate differences among them and to know what works best for me.

I have to think, at this point, that my technique, or lack thereof is a bigger issue than the club.

Still looking on pointers to that effect.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

I've gone to a 17 degree 4 wood. More loft, easier to hit, and pretty well the same distance.

Comment

I have had a mental block with a 3 would since....forever!

I hit my 5 wood and driver pretty well with or with out a tee but, i tighten up so much as soon as the dreaded 3 comes out. I have tried various makes and same story - it just doesn't feel right. Each year I say I am going to conquer my demons but, after a couple range sessions, I forget about it. I think it is mainly because my driver and 5 wood go (same make & mode las my 3) pretty well, there is is only one or two shots a round where it really comes into play so I haven't put the effort into figuring things out.

Comment

Originally posted by nomullies View Post
                I've gone to a 17 degree 4 wood. More loft, easier to hit, and pretty well the same distance.
                Good advice... I'd also add you should shorten the shaft as well.

Give a 5w shaft in a 3w a try
                Ping G430lst 9 Tensei Pro Orange 70tx
                Titleist TSI2 15 Tensei Pro Orange 80tx
                Titleist TSI2 20.25 Tensei Pro Orange 90tx
                Titleist T100s KBS Tour V 125 Tour Spec
                Titleist SM8 KBS Tour V 125 Tour Spec
                L.A.B Golf Directed Force 2.1

Comment

The original RBZ 3 wood as mentioned is great off the tee, tough to hit off the fairway. I still have an R9 3 wood and it's been the easiest 3 wood I have ever hit (tee or fairway). Find one you have confidence in and it's night and day.

Oh, and go for a lesson :-)
                  MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Agree best tip for the average golfer is to ditch the 3 wood and carry a 4 wood instead. (in fact replace the 3+5 wood with one 4 wood and open up a slot for another club).

Even pros find 3 wood off the fairway to be one of the more difficult shots.

From article below: "The results of a 2009 launch-monitor test by Golf Digest found everyday golfers who swing less than 85 miles per hour actually carried the ball five yards longer with a 4-wood as opposed to a 3-wood, while those swinging more than 85 mph hit the 4-wood eight yards longer. (Elite players still hit 3-woods farther than 4-woods). "

A dozen competitors at the Crowne Plaza Invitational carried 4-woods, chiefly to address distance gaps in their sets. For everyday players, there are even greater advantages

Comment

3 woods these days have extra long shafts like the drivers. For me I concentrate on being patient with it, swinging smoothly without rushing, letting the long arc of the club do the work, and staying behind the ball until after impact. Attempting to force the shot, or getting anxious and coming out of it, result in tops and fat shots. Ball position is important especially off the deck, need to move the ball farther back in your stance to be sure of catching the ball first. Also be mindful of the lie, if the ball isn't sitting up nice then better to go with your 5 wood or hybrid.
                      Cobra Cart Bag
                      Cobra F8+ Aldila NV Green
                      Cobra F7 3w 5w 7w
                      Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 5i-GW
                      Callaway MD3 54-S,58-C
                      Odyssey White Hot Rx #7

Comment

Originally posted by Fore Warned View Post

So, I went to Annandale yesterday to “field test” my practice, and met with similar results, The occasional really great shots, but many others, much less so. Right now,
                        IMO...if you are topping, hooking and slicing....it's you and not the club.

I assume you are hitting off mats nowadays...mats will also give one a false pretense of better ball striking.

The 3W is hard to hit cause it's the longest club you hit off the grass.

Try gripping down on the club at least 2" to try to get more control and therefore the chance of better ball striking.

I think you're trying to force a 3W....try a 4W or 5W....they are more forgiving and loft is your friend.

It's not the original RBZ....but I have a Stage 2 3HL......it's a good club...especially if I nut it....I think I'm a fairly competent golfer...7 cap and single cap for over 37 years....and I only nut a FW....maybe 20% of the time off the deck....golf is tough.

Keep working on it and a lesson might be the answer.

Comment

The fairway wood off the deck exposes all swing flaws... there is no hiding. Swing flaws are just not as pronounced with shorter clubs giving the illusion that one can strike say short irons "well" (or get away with bad technique) but not long ones thus the thinking that there must be something different with these long clubs. There isn't.

Don't look for a lesson on how to hit a fairway wood but ask the instructor to evaluate your swing in general. For me, my guy has never focused on the fairway wood using only a 7i for lessons but the improvements I've seen have been across the bag (after years of struggling I now look forward to par 5's so I can crank that 3/5 wood). From the misses you've described (i.e. pretty much all over the place) I'm willing to bet you're way too steep causing the classic bail out, stall, flip and random shot result (which includes the occasional flush contact). Instruction is the true salvation.

Comment

100 % agree with the above

The fairway wood off the deck exposes all swing flaws... there is no hiding. Swing flaws are just not as pronounced with shorter clubs giving the illusion that one can strike say short irons "well" (or get away with bad technique) but not long ones thus the thinking that there must be something different with these long clubs. There isn't.

Don't look for a lesson on how to hit a fairway wood but ask the instructor to evaluate your swing in general. For me, my guy has never focused on the fairway wood using only a 7i for lessons but the improvements I've seen have been across the bag (after years of struggling I now look forward to par 5's so I can crank that 3/5 wood). From the misses you've described (i.e. pretty much all over the place) I'm willing to bet you're way too steep causing the classic bail out, stall, flip and random shot result (which includes the occasional flush contact). Instruction is the true salvation.

Comment

Originally posted by nomullies View Post
                              Originally posted by multimut View Post
                              Agree best tip for the average golfer is to ditch the 3 wood and carry a 4 wood instead.
                              Originally posted by WeekendDuff View Post
                              . Also be mindful of the lie, if the ball isn't sitting up nice then better to go with your 5 wood or hybrid.
                              Originally posted by Mr22putt View Post
                              IMO...if you are topping, hooking and slicing....it's you and not the club.

Keep working on it and a lesson might be the answer.
                              Originally posted by Blackboxalgo View Post
                              The fairway wood off the deck exposes all swing flaws... there is no hiding. Swing flaws are just not as pronounced with shorter clubs giving the illusion that one can strike say short irons "well"

Don't look for a lesson on how to hit a fairway wood but ask the instructor to evaluate your swing in general.

I'm willing to bet you're way too steep causing the classic bail out, stall, flip and random shot result (which includes the occasional flush contact). Instruction is the true salvation.
                              Some interesting take aways here. I am thinking that having someone look at my swing, from an overall perspective, would probably be helpful. Problems showing up with the 3 wood, are more pronounced, but other clubs could also use tweaking, which could of course be beneficial.

I am going to consider a more lofted club, at least beginning with trying to develop more confidence with my current 3 hybrid. But would still like to consider the 3 wood for off the tee, or when I have a good lie, like a ball sitting up on the grass.

Thanks to all who took the time to respond and for your insight.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X