Collapse

Dubai Desert Classic

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dubai Desert Classic

It's time for him to move on. You cannot recover from a physical and mental collapse in any sport at the level he wants to play at. The scandal finished him mentally and the way he played the game finished him physically. For 12 years he dominated the game in a way that perhaps no one ever has and beat his body up year after year (a bad back isn't his only ailment). He has the 2nd most majors 2nd most PGA wins and 3rd most European wins. A record that is nothing to sneeze at.

At only 41 he could do whatever he wanted. He could have his pick which booth to sit if he wanted to do TV and with his looks and personality and the fact the golf world seemingly has either forgiven or forgotten the scandal he'd be really good at it. The choice is really his and whatever it is he would be probably be successful. Maybe just hang with his kids.

One thing is clear though he can't be a golfer anymore. You can't show up every 2-3 months and expect to compete against fields that play constantly and are younger and healthier than you. Sometimes fate just works against you. Look at Bobby Orr retires at 28 at what should have been his prime and if he played 3 decades later his knee issues wouldn't have cost him his career.

Athletics is a hard endeavour. I always said it's easier to become a doctor or lawyer than pursue the "A's".....arts or athletics because not only do you have to be good you also have to be lucky.

When you read the social media stuff on Tiger people seem to love him or hate him. I was his biggest fan until 2009 and then into a hater (which everyone knows who was on this forum in 2009) only because I have such admiration about the integrity of the game and felt that it did carry over into your personal life mostly because of the money he made lying about who he was. But eventually I got over it. When I was ranting back then I said many times that he would not regain his swagger. I of course didn't know he would develop physical problems that would only make things worse.

Anyway, I'm confident he will continue to pretend he is a golfer and show up every few months and occasionally show some form of what he used to be, that will cause all the believers to put on their rose colour glasses, but if he was smart he'd hang it up now while he still has some dignity left.
    Last edited by hogannut; Feb 3, 2017, 09:46 AM.
    WHAT SITS ON MY CLIC-GEAR
    Alpha Golf C830.4 SP700 Plasma 10* Platinum 65 gr
    Alpha Golf Version 5 3wd 15* Platinum 65gr
    Alpha Golf C830 19* Platinum 60 gr
    Alpha C2 Fly 4- G/W Platinum 60 gr
    Snake Eyes 675 WB 54* & 58* FST 90 gr
    Heavy Putter A1 33"
    " The secret is in the dirt "....... Ben Hogan

Comment

Originally posted by hogannut View Post
      It's time for him to move on. You cannot recover from a physical and mental collapse in any sport at the level he wants to play at. The scandal finished him mentally and the way he played the game finished him physically. For 12 years he dominated the game in a way that perhaps no one ever has and beat his body up year after year (a bad back isn't his only ailment). He has the 2nd most majors 2nd most PGA wins and 3rd most European wins. A record that is nothing to sneeze at.

At only 41 he could do whatever he wanted. He could have his pick which booth to sit if he wanted to do TV and with his looks and personality and the fact the golf world seemingly has either forgiven or forgotten the scandal he'd be really good at it. The choice is really his and whatever it is he would be probably be successful.
      He's NO Lindsey Vonn!!
      Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Even Lindsey Vonn has a series of broken bones in the recent months. She is skiing again but no where near the top, just like the ex-boyfriend.

After the scandal and back in 2013, didn't he win few tournaments that season?

Comment

Sitting on an airplane for 17 hours is the absolute worst thing for someone with back problems. Playing Dubai was a poor decision. Hopefully he will recover quickly; he has a week off before his next scheduled tournament. I'm no Tiger fanboy but I don't like to see him struggle like this. It's like watching Ali get beat up in his last fight against Holmes.
          Cobra Cart Bag
          Cobra F8+ Aldila NV Green
          Cobra F7 3w 5w 7w
          Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 5i-GW
          Callaway MD3 54-S,58-C
          Odyssey White Hot Rx #7

Comment

Originally posted by WeekendDuff View Post
            Sitting on an airplane for 17 hours is the absolute worst thing for someone with back problems. Playing Dubai was a poor decision. Hopefully he will recover quickly; he has a week off before his next scheduled tournament. I'm no Tiger fanboy but I don't like to see him struggle like this. It's like watching Ali get beat up in his last fight against Holmes.
            IR raised some valid questions about Tiger's schedule earlier.
            In retrospect it seems like a bad decision for Tiger to go to Dubai, but he had 1.5 million reasons to , it's a warm place, flat, forgiving course so maybe he felt he could kickstart things there.

Tiger said there were no issues with his back following the Thursday round, but it spasmed later. He obviously is in a position to have the best therapists and physicians consulting him so must be getting good and proper advice.

My earlier question the " head bone being connected to the back bone" ? Was meant to have a degree of seriousness. There appears to be a mental component to Tigers woes. Stenson's coach has said he plays great in practice and on the range, can't bring it to the course.m Perhaps the back spasms are mechanically related, perhaps they are psychologically related , perhaps a bit of both.

Tiger has repeatedly said his back is great and he is happy with his game, there is a disconnect somewhere.

As each MC, WD adds up , one has to wonder if it's time for him to walk away? Unfortunately, I don't think Tiger's ego is ready for that. He's a bit like his good friend Trump ( who with Tiger apparently played lights out with recently) and too proud to admit that. Hate to see him be one of those greats that hangs on too long, but also hate for him to leave at a point when he might have some magic left.

Maybe he needs to build his schedule around the 4 majors. Limit his play, practice as needed and his body allows and just look to get 4 rounds in each if the majors?
            Last edited by Weirfan; Feb 3, 2017, 11:09 AM.
            "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by WeekendDuff View Post

I bet he was sleeping/walking around/practicing putting in his airplane.

Comment

My wife and I watched the first nine of the first round where he was getting out of bunkers and walking downhill with his back rigid and she said to me "he's walking like you do". I continued to watch his body movements closely and realized that he had the "ol' bad back" while he was playing. I am suffering through what has now been diagnosed as arthritis with severe facets in Lumbar Spine with mild stenosis at L4-L5. My injuries were sustained in a 60 foot fall into a sitting and rolling position. They occurred in 1973 when there was no surgery. You went to bed for two months with Demerol being your only friend.

My current issues started this summer when I was walking the golf course and carrying my Ping Hoofer. I suddenly dropped to the ground with intense pain. Sciatica. I won't bore you with all the re-hab I'm going through right now (other than I am the only guy in my Iyengar Yoga Class) but Tiger's long term prognosis is not good. In my case, it is not the golf swing that hurts or starts an episode of sciatica, it's the walking over uneven ground (into a bunker or downhill in my case) standing for short periods of time, plane rides (mine are 3 hrs. to Palm Springs or Phoenix) even short car rides trigger an episode. The current cold weather is killing me and I suspect Tiger will be uncompetitive in a British Open situation with wind and cold. It's all about the nerves in the back that come into contact with discs, facets and bits of arthritic bone and the referred pain is in the hips.

Good luck to him but with all that expensive re-hab he went through (mine was through Veteran's Affairs and Pacific Blue Cross so our rehab quality of care leads me to suspect he may have got better treatment than I did) he may be using a three wheel Sun Mountain to play golf. I use mine like an able walker. I can give him advice on which trekking poles to use when he goes to the neighbourhood grocery store.

We may see him play some more but I suspect not for much longer.

Comment

Originally posted by vince View Post
                  I bet he was sleeping/walking around/practicing putting in his airplane.
                  He didn't fly his jet, he flew commercial.

However, first class on Emirates isn't just a tight seat for 17 hours....

"Confusion" will be my epitaph
                  ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

a step up from Rouge, that i usually fly to play golf
                    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Meanwhile, on the other side of the world

Comment

Another WD due to back problems? That confirms that Tiger and I now have the same golf game. I knew I could do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
                          a step up from Rouge, that i usually fly to play golf
                          What's really interesting, is that you can't even SEE Tiger in that picture...
                          "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                          ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

I'm sorry, but that looks like a guy in a blonde wig...

Comment

Originally posted by kich View Post
                              Tigers comeback looks like it hit snag.
                              I expect that the speculation about The Masters will begin fairly soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post
                                I expect that the speculation about The Masters will begin fairly soon.
                                You mean Golf Channel hasn't brought it up a dozen times yet?
                                Shocking!
                                I hope he gets healthy but his return does nothing for me. I watch golf to watch all players.
                                One player doesn't excite me.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X